1996 Sierra Crew, 6.5 to 5.9 cummins.. Wiring. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1996 Sierra Crew, 6.5 to 5.9 cummins.. Wiring.

Hey all
havent posted on the board in quite some time, not sure if there are any Diesel Gurus on here but i figured id do a post and see if anyone could help me out

Anyways I got a 96 sierra crew with a '93 5.9 IC cummins sitting in the engine bay now.. scrapped the dead 6.5. truck was an ex 4l80E. now a 5 spd. Now my big questions are... What does the 6.5 computer control? can it be removed and all wires coming out of it into the engine bay? I want to keep my ABS, does the computer control this? Also the tranny was taken out and the harness was just 'Cut' but are all loomed together, around 10 wires or so.. could i trace these wires that were going to the auto trans and into the engine bay harness just eliminate these as well?
My main concern is the computer and wires heading into the engine bay from the computer..

i know the wires that i do need (switched +, Glow relay power to run fuel shutoff, Alternator, temp, oil gauge. Guess I just have to put the wires i DO need to the side and trace the wires i dont use and eliminate?

thanks in advance, i hate wiring

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

the abs has its own control module separate of the pcm, however the abs control module does receive a signal from the pcm for 4wd input. wiring diagrams for both vehicles in my opinion are essential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM

how did your swap turn out? Did you get all your wiring finished, and what all were you able to salvage.........original speedo, cruise....etc???? I'm in the middle of wiring my 5.9 Cummins into my 97 4x4 Suburban and could use any guidance that you can give. Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

The first thing to do is invest in detailed shop manuals for both vehicles at www.alldatadiy.com

vicrod

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.