1997 ford taurus help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1997 ford taurus help

need help from the ford guys now, i am mainly a Chevy guy so please be nice ok, this one will make you pull your hair out, i think it's an electrical problem but not sure, the car cranks and runs fine, IN PARK or N, NO PROBLEM put it in gear R,D,2,1 the radio sound quits and the steering becomes hard like there is no power steering and the belt squeals. in P,N its fine radio plays and you can turn the steering wheel with one finger never seen nor have i heard of this before in all my 50 years. i did try to start the car in gear and it will not so i guess the neutral safety switch is ok not sure but it affecting the steering has got me. its my wife's car and i'm afraid for her to drive it like that, any help or suggestions would be helpful thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

I don't know but I'll take a stab here....sounds like the serpentine belt and/or the idler pulley is worn out....does nothing till put in gear,motor pulls down to low idle, alternator pulls load on belt enough to slow belt speed down slowing the power steering pump to almost stall speed and belt starts squealing ....could be enough electrical load to cause a drop in voltage.....most solid state radios (transistorized ) are very sensitive to voltage drops.....
My best guess....Good Luck!
Kenny
Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1
I don't know but I'll take a stab here....sounds like the serpentine belt and/or the idler pulley is worn out....does nothing till put in gear,motor pulls down to low idle, alternator pulls load on belt enough to slow belt speed down slowing the power steering pump to almost stall speed and belt starts squealing ....could be enough electrical load to cause a drop in voltage.....most solid state radios (transistorized ) are very sensitive to voltage drops.....
My best guess....Good Luck!
Kenny
thanks but thats not it just put a water pump on it last month and i replaced the belt and idler pulley at the same time and its been working fine till last night, i think its something in the steering column but not sure very weard to me
Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy28384
thanks but thats not it just put a water pump on it last month and i replaced the belt and idler pulley at the same time and its been working fine till last night, i think its something in the steering column but not sure very weird to me
well drove it this morn. steering worked fine, no problems with that at all.go figure. the problem must be the multi switch in steering column, the turn signals don't work and the flashers don't work and radio sound quits when you put it in gear, fuses are good

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.