1998 Ford Explorer woes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1998 Ford Explorer woes

I know this is probably the wrong forum site for a post like this, but please just help me out. Buddy of mine has a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport, 4 - wheel drive. For some reason it will not disengauge the 4 wheel drive. It has the automatic Torque on demand system. And, that is what i believe could be holding the transfer case in 4 WD, and not allowing it to go into 2 WD.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The Ford Explorer enthusiast forum has a ton of information and posts on the transfer case. The following copy/paste (including the misspellings) from that forum describes two things to look for before getting your hands really dirty:

T-CASE DISENGAGEMENT
On a 4x4 system, especially those equipped with eletric shift (like 2nd-3rd Gens), the system may not disengage when the vehicle has been driven on a dry surface. The variation in the rates of tire rotation results in transfer case loading and binding. When this occurs, the pressure is too great for the electric shift motor to overcome. To confirm, place the vehicle on a lift, allowing the wheels to rotate freely. This relieves the pressure on the transfer case. If the transfer case will now shift properly, it confirms transfer case loading. The first check should involved a tire circumfrence measurement from front to rear. Often we encounter this condition folllowing the installation of the spare tire.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There is an enormous amount of info on that forum including how to remove and rebuild the case. I have a 97 Explorer that had the range slider and fork failure that I drove for 12,000 miles after the first symptom. Finally pulled the transfer case and rebuilt it myself with parts from a guy who deals in transfer case / transmission parts out in Seattle. Total cost $120 and it runs like new. Was not that hard to do as I followed the rebuild instructions from the forum.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Make sure all tires are same manufacture, same size, worn the same amount and same air pressure. If one is different, you can get all kinds of problems on AWD or auto 4WD vehicles.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.