1998 Ford Taurus will not start up - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
Try to start it by sparking across the solenoid. On that you should only need a screwdriver. It will likely throw some sparks but thats normal dont be afraid of it.

If it will crank then, then you have a problem between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. If it clicks or wont do anything, then you have a battery, ground, or battery cable problem or possibly a starter solenoid problem. Post the results here and we'll go from there.
what is the solenoid? what are utalking about? do i need any special bolts to put into this crank shaft or am i god to go just turning whats already in there?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

The solenoid is the small round thing on top of the starter that the battery cable connects to.

I mean no offence but it sounds like this may be a job best left to a professional. I dont want to tell you to do something and cause you to do something wrong accidentally and mess something up worse.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by One to Remember
sigh.. great working starter, engine will not budge. wont bump wont move. i turn the key car just powers out, batt is fully juiced, jumping did no good. just no movment what so ever. i am ready to explode!
If the starter works good but wont turn the motor then the motor is locked up. try turning the engine over with a socket and ratchet on the crank bolt. If you cant turn it with that then....you need a motor.
I cant hear what it sounds like when you try to start the engine so tell me does the starter "clunk" like it is engaging but just not cranking over?
What do you mean car just "powers out" ?
I am betting the engine is junk.
The chick who owns it probably drove it till it ****the bed.
Run the other way.Last time I bought a car that needed an engine ,it needed a transmission too.
Go buy something that runs, get it checked out buy a REPUTABLE SHOP BEFORE YOU BUY IT , NOT AFTER.

Last edited by latech; 12-22-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
If the starter works good but wont turn the motor then the motor is locked up. try turning the engine over with a socket and ratchet on the crank bolt. If you cant turn it with that then....you need a motor.
I cant hear what it sounds like when you try to start the engine so tell me does the starter "clunk" like it is engaging but just not cranking over?
What do you mean car just "powers out" ?
I am betting the engine is junk.
The chick who owns it probably drove it till it ****the bed.
Run the other way.Last time I bought a car that needed an engine ,it needed a transmission too.
Go buy something that runs, get it checked out buy a REPUTABLE SHOP BEFORE YOU BUY IT , NOT AFTER.
so if it turns at all with the ratchet r u sayig the engine IS good? i dont think it clunks,imean when i turn it over to the point where it should be started i lose al power for that second.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
The solenoid is the small round thing on top of the starter that the battery cable connects to.

I mean no offence but it sounds like this may be a job best left to a professional. I dont want to tell you to do something and cause you to do something wrong accidentally and mess something up worse.
no ive rebuilt engines and broken everything down before i am just not good at all with naming any of the parts on most components or ill forget..
Old 12-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by One to Remember
so if it turns at all with the ratchet r u sayig the engine IS good? i dont think it clunks,imean when i turn it over to the point where it should be started i lose al power for that second.
It sounds like the ignition switch may be bad and not powering up the starter circuit.
I recommend getting a mechanic to go and look at this thing so you dont get stuck.
It is dollar wise to get a professional to look at it.
If it turns by hand that just means it isnt froze up or siezed. That doesnt mean it wont be knocking once it runs. Check it out well my friend.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:40 AM

Last photo:

i dont have too much money to put into a car i dont own lol. ive done all this bs before with my '83 dodge ram b150 wagon.. i hope it doesnt knock but like i said i have no clue if this ding bat drove the car without oil then added it after the fact or what.. when i can finally catch up to her i will look into the car and give updates. if the starter isnt getting juice i can remedy that by hooking it directly to a batt right..?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 AM

Last photo:

Try to turn the engine over with a wrench or a breaker bar and a socket. If it wont turn, try taking out a couple spark plugs. If it still wont turn, walk away from the car and dont look back.

If it will turn you will need to run a jumper wire from the battery (which is where the big cable from the starter runs to) to the small terminal on the starter (or solenoid) that has a little wire on it.

If it will crank then, then you know there is no power reaching the starter from the ignition switch. In this case you will need to look for blown fuses, fuse links, broken wires or bad ignition switch.

If it wont crank then the starter and or solenoid is bad or there is a bad connection or dead/weak battery.

Start by making sure the engine isn't locked up tho by turning it with a wrench or something. Find some way to turn the engine over. If you cant make it turn then its locked up. It wont be real easy to turn anyways but it should be turnable. I used a screw driver and pryed against the block onto the flywheel teeth which of course made it turn. When it hit a hard spot and I couldnt make it turn anymore, i knew something had happened. If it wont turn one way, turn it the other and then turn it back. IF it hits a spot where it wont go any further then youve got big problems.

I sure wish I could help you in person, we'd know in about 5 minutes what was wrong.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:01 AM

Last photo:

yeah i wish you were here too lol. is there anyway a broken ring could also stop it from turning over by hand easily? theres just sumthin odd going on, it sat for 2 years but thats still just a lot of lockage..
Old 12-29-2010, 02:08 AM

Last photo:

I dont think a broken ring would make it freeze up. Maybe if it ran without oil it could score the piston and seize in the cylinder but more likely it would chew up a bearing. That probably wouldn't lock it up, but it would make it knock once it got going. Personally I would guess that there is a bad connection somewhere causing the problem.

BTW my mom has a 97 sable (same as a taurus) so its practically identical. I know there are tons and tons of fuses on that car, there are like 3 or 4 different fuse boxes, some under the hood and some under the dash.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:36 AM

Last photo:

I have a friend with a 98 Cougar, same engine and drive train, there is a second solenoid on the drives side fender that will cause exactly what you are describing if it is bad.

It is the white thing in the picture. Yours will most likely be black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3G_Alternator_024.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	51175  
Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

at this point i gotta remove the over flow jugs and then try to get a wrench in there hopefully or a socket. trying to figure out the likely socket size and also how i am going to force back this a/c metal line to get the clearence to turn it. i checked the oil again on the vehicle and it looks a bit normal now. definitely gonna putsum oil in it but im thinking about using kerosene also..
Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'm moving this thread to the Basics forum.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
I'm moving this thread to the Basics forum.
basics? if u look at my past threads u will see i broke my first engine down all the way in '07 man..
Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
I didn't read every post so forgive me if this has been mentioned. The Ford Taurus has an inertia switch in the trunk that will trip with a light accident. This switch simply needs to be pushed and it will restart the fuel pump. It is usually on the left quarter behind the trim. There is a hole access it thru.

Brian

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.