1998 Ford Taurus will not start up - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 04:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
I can't see the point in putting 100-300 dollars and several hours work into a car that has been
A. sitting for 2 yrs.
B. Is known to have issues.
C. Is worth more in scrap Steel than running
Unless it has under 75K miles. and is really nice shape.

I do this for a living, (I work for a repair and sales dealership (not New car)) so I have a large amount of knowledge in these. If I saw it on craigslist I wouln't even call unless the mileage was low. try to find a Camry or corolla as a cheap project they are simple design easy to work on and very long lasting Usually.
1. What of its two year rest?

2. A lot of cars are known to be sorry. you have probably owned one. I have too.

3. Scrap? SCRAP?! Oh yeah, 300 bux in scrapping, wow ten dollars lest then i spent on it. So tell me what in the hell i am going to do with 300 bux? Buy another 300 dollar car like the crown vic and the taurus itself? Am i going to let 300 bux sit around my house slowing dwindling to bills? I don't have a job, we are on the edge of losing the roof over our head, we only really have 1 good car. *** am i going to do with 300 dollars which buys really nothing of value autowise? How am i going to get more from the scrapping scheme when i have a middle man to go thru or ridiculous towing fees that would offset the savings of going to the yard directly.?
I am tired of people these days hearing something and saying "go scrap it, go crush it blah blah blah" It gets annoying. Maybe its because the van i always used to post about around here was stolen and scrapped, maybe its because my neighbors were copper thieves, idk but i am sooo %$#ing tired of hearing about the scrap yard.

15 hours you say? News flash i have no job, I have 15 hours to spare and sadly 15 more after that! And I don't even know were your price estimates for the parts came from, both the taurus and the crown vic together barely reach that much of an expense getting both their gaskets..

And if i put the add on craigs you would call so many times i would have to block your number. this is what you hear about when you look up cars in the 250-350 range, "it wont start but i put new tires and spark plug wires on it and changed the oil.." "It runs great it just needs a new head gasket, you'll need to tow it.." "I dont know whats going on, it hasn't been started in awhile, it might just be the battery.." My car goes atleast, it doesnt remain stationary which makes it a craigs list miracle for three ten..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I am thinking that the catalytic converter may be pretty plugged on your car.
Does it make a whoosing sound (like air rushing out) when you are trying to accelerate.
I am saddened to hear your lifes conditions are so serious.I know there is a lot of people out there who are hurting. I hope the hell you are getting some unemployment , and go get food stamps if you need to feed your family.Thats what the hell its for. You worked and paid taxes, it aint like you lay on your *** and get welfare just because it is there.
I was let go and was unemployed for over a year before I found another job, and 15 weeks later I got laid off from that. Took me a while but I am now self employed.I am not making much money but I am keeping the bills paid(barely)
work is slow not many people paying to fix their cars. After reading your last post I cant blame them.
Defenitley pressure test the cooling system if you can to see if coolant is leaking. You may not see it leaking if it is leaking into a cylinder, but if it is it will miss real bad on that one cylinder when you try to start it. Also when you start the motor cold and run it for a minute or two if it builds pressure real fast instead of slow then it is probably bleeding cylinder combustion pressure into the cooling system.Check those 2 things and let us know.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
Does it make a whoosing sound (like air rushing out) when you are trying to accelerate.
I am saddened to hear your lifes conditions are so serious.I know there is a lot of people out there who are hurting. I hope the hell you are getting some unemployment , and go get food stamps if you need to feed your family.Thats what the hell its for. You worked and paid taxes, it aint like you lay on your *** and get welfare just because it is there.
I was let go and was unemployed for over a year before I found another job, and 15 weeks later I got laid off from that. Took me a while but I am now self employed.I am not making much money but I am keeping the bills paid(barely)
work is slow not many people paying to fix their cars. After reading your last post I cant blame them.
Defenitley pressure test the cooling system if you can to see if coolant is leaking. You may not see it leaking if it is leaking into a cylinder, but if it is it will miss real bad on that one cylinder when you try to start it. Also when you start the motor cold and run it for a minute or two if it builds pressure real fast instead of slow then it is probably bleeding cylinder combustion pressure into the cooling system.Check those 2 things and let us know.
I had mentioned the cat a few posts back. An easy test would be to pull the upstream O2 and see if it runs better, it will let some exhaust out.
I have also see the MAF do some weird stuff, I believe that car will run with it disconnected. Might be worth a shot

Chet
Old 01-25-2011, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
see i dont technically work "a" job in the same sense as you. when i work for 15 months as you did its thru a temp agency thats sending me to like 25 different jobs to do 25 different things, i do not qualify to get unemployment i guess. when i get 81.40 again ill rent that pressure tester and see whats going on. its doing its job right now so i feel safe driving it but i need to find a way to hook those blinkers bk up directly to the fuse panel and just run a light switch thru em but i gotta find out were all those wires are originating from. i also gota hook my break lights to the center break lights since those quit on me..
Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 AM

Sorry for touching a nerve. I've never been without work whether repair, construction or mopping floors. Temp work sucks I have a brother stuck in that viscious cycle for 3 yrs now.

Keep at it keep applying, and never ever forget that you aren't above shoveling snow and mopping floors. My all time low was going from a management position to mopping floors and prepping food for a Mom and Pop restaurant, Like you they denied unemployment, (I was 18-19 and was hired part time but worked 45 hrs a week. We didn't punch cards and they wrote and did all payroll).

Anyway about the brakes and signals. Check the wiring that goes from the trunk to the lights. the wires break most often where the trunk moves up and down inside the plastic tubing.

Good Luck again sorry for touching a nerve on crushing...
Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 AM

Last photo:

3 weeks ago when we got that snow storm in tennessee i tried to take advantage of that. i went to home depot, they didnt even order snow shovels so i got a regular one for 10 dollars, the first house me and my friend went to we ended up stuck in the guys yard.. then his drainage ditch. i had to give sumn guy 5 bux to pull me out of his ditch with his jeep.. i blew a bunch of money on gas, we got stuck in 5 more yards, burned so much rubber we went strait thru that gas.. we went to like 30 houses, only an old couple agreeds to let us do their yard, we both got paid 7.50.. i went up the hill, then a bunch of slick rednecks tried to question my motives when i asked another neighbor if they wanted their drive way plowed. then the redneck's kid's dog started chasing me and chased me all the way bk to the house we were working on.. then my mom's taurus which i usually drive got stuck on a hill, nearly collided into some guys 75,000 home, stayed their for 3 or so days in limbo. my mom missed a day of work, we ended up having to walk like 8 miles home in the snow, my fingers turned numb that day, 3 weeks later 5 are still numb.. i still had to buy this taurus by the 20th of last month, that caused us to come up short on rent, the temp agency called me out a few times only to tell me the job was canceled, wasting precious gasoline, now my friend tells me he was driving the taurus im asking abt on here and it just died in the middle of the road in traffic, lost ALL LIGHTS, EVERYTHING, made bizarre clicking sounds, he replaced a bunch of bulbs and half blew up withen 15 minutes.. the brand new battery was nearly drained so bad idk how we even jumped it.. and still dnt know if i have to take that damn steering wheel off with the puller just to get to that switch which i suspect still might not remedy our lighting issue. Plowing? **** plowing too man..

back on topic though
Old 02-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sounds like you could use some corn liquor too.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

nah, im strait edge, unless that liquor can be converted to ethanol then i will be glad to feed it to any 4 of my vehicles.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

HEE HEE me too. I had my share of booze. Dont go there no more. Seems no matterhow much I drank, the next day my trouble was still there, only worse.
Best of luck,
I read something the other day that I thought was prettycool. It said:

Despite the cost of living is allways going up, it is still popular (to live)
Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 AM

Last photo:

"Despite the cost of living is allways going up, it is still popular (to live)"
somethings are worth Benjamin, Jackson, and Grant lol.

but my update is a bit off but eitherway:
ive got 3 main batteries i rotate thru this car, it kills ALL of them. I only have to have the lights on for 15 or so minutes and everything is just dead. when we went thru the wiring set up so many things were cut and tampered with that we suspect sabotage.. at this point tho the only rigging we have is basically my two big break lights wired to my little third one and my two turn sigs up front wired to the back ones.

also i cant get my ignition key to go in anymore. the key used to have to go thru || and now its gotta go thru \\ and idk how to remedy that situation without a hammer but i really dont want to do that. im hoping to just bust that wing nut looking lip off and get more room to get my key inm then just change that dumb cylinnder out. i dont wanna have to use a puller for this at all!!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you look up at the steering column from below where the key goes in there is a hole in the cover. That goes right to the housing for the lock cylinder and inside there is a little pin that you can depress (push in ) and it will allow you to pull the lock cylinder out. The key will have to be in the first posisition (unlock but not on) and then push in on the pin and pull striaght out on the cylinder. Piece of cake.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 AM

Last photo:

yea i cant get the key to go in the keyhole anymore and idk *** happen.. so bizarre this freakin car..
Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

anyone have any clue about the battery issue?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I know this is an old thread, and I didn't read it all so this may have been mentioned, but if this car was hit in the back end, or struck something, there is a switch that shuts off the fuel pump in the event of a collision. There is a re-set in the trunk. Check the owner's manual.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I know this is an old thread, and I didn't read it all so this may have been mentioned, but if this car was hit in the back end, or struck something, there is a switch that shuts off the fuel pump in the event of a collision. There is a re-set in the trunk. Check the owner's manual.
my buddy just had the starter wires put in reverse. my new issue with the vehicle and i guess last is the gear shifter gets stuck in park alot so i just got it in n + e-break alot. when i tried to have someone move my car it got stuck though on them so i gotta fix that issue but dont know where to start.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.