1998 Ford Taurus will not start up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1998 Ford Taurus will not start up

I am attempting to purchase a 1998 Ford Taurus from this girl for 300 dollars. Today I came by to try to start it and it would not "crank" i suppose. All the power devices came on but no bump from the engine, no turning of the crank shaft as far as i could hear that is. Here are the issues, its sat for 2 years, it would not idle before its final break down, and now it will not turn on with my juiced up battery. Ideally I would want to just drag the thing down the hill to O'Reilly's to get the tester on it but i have no clue how it would get back up that hill lol. I would best descibe tryig to start it up as the same as when you try to turn the key over when your gear is in drive or "2" or reverse or whatever. That sorta "soft start."

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Start with the easy stuff first.
1. Pull starter and take to O'rielly's to be tested.
2. Check leads to battery. Should be two connections. One large for power from Battery, smaller from key to activate solenoid. Check that both have power when key is turned.

You can also check the starter yourself once out. Lay it on the ground and connect the negative jumper cable to the front body where it would attach to the engine. Then connect the positive to the large terminal. Use an insulated screwdriver to jump from the large terminal to the small one. Make sure not to jump the small terminal below that has a ground strap coming out of the back of the starter. Starter should kick out the bendix gear and then spin.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

i have tested the starter and shes done.. I have gotten a new one and she passed the test at Autozone. Even if I get this vehcle to start there is still the isue of the idling problem which i am still wondering how to go about fixing. Also the oil did not appear to have water or gas and did not smell contaminated but was so old it was in jell/crust form.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

What engine is in it? 3.0 vulcan, 3.0 Duratec, 3.8 v6? What kind of idle problem? Slow idle/stall or idle too fast? Different engines and symptoms lead to different causes and repairs.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Get it running, then diagnose the idling problem. First change the oil & filter & have the battery load tested (my not be good under a load) I'm assuming you jumped from your juiced up battery to the Taurus, is this correct? at Auto zone while your getting the oil & filter. Get it running, Then use a code scanner to find out whatever is setting a code for your idling problem.
Rich
Old 12-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

sigh.. great working starter, engine will not budge. wont bump wont move. i turn the key car just powers out, batt is fully juiced, jumping did no good. just no movment what so ever. i am ready to explode!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

May be time to look elsewhere.
Rich
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Those are noted for the battery ground to body rotting off. It is right by the battery. That year had a lot of electrical issues. The Neutral safety switch is tied to a lot of electrical issues in that car.

Chet
Old 12-21-2010, 01:24 AM

Last photo:

its a v6 3.8 how many grounds do i need to check and how likely is this not hopeless? I mean a ground..? Is that enough to get no movement at all from the engine? Is there a point in me trying to trn this crank by hand if ican even reach it?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by One to Remember
its a v6 3.8 how many grounds do i need to check and how likely is this not hopeless? I mean a ground..? Is that enough to get no movement at all from the engine? Is there a point in me trying to trn this crank by hand if ican even reach it?
You need to check them all but pay close attention to the smaller one that goes from the battery to the body.

You said it does nothing, I assumed that meant no click, clunk or anything else.
You said the original starter was bad and you replaced it. Are you sure the new one is good and you reconnected everything?
You may also want to double check the connections at the battery. If everything dies when you turn the key you may have a bad connection.

Have you tried starting it in neutral instead of park

Chet
Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

what do u mean by click though? we should get a few terms clarified i suppose. when you say does it crank do u mean is the crankshaft moving a little or at all? Here is what happened when i tried to turn it over with the old starter, it did the same thing a car would do when you turn the key over and its in say R or 2 or D, it jusy didnt do anything. When i put the good starter in and try to turn it over all the power just cuts off at the click, no movement or nothin. i know the old one was bad and mine is good due to testing. the bad starter was tested twice..
started it in N and no difference.. whats the next step after testing these grounds cuz im actually not eager to scrap this car.. And again i must ask if sitting for 2 years is enough for an engine to lock..?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Obviously you should make sure the engine will turn by hand. 2 years should not seize an engine. It sounds like a bad battery connection to me

Chet
Old 12-22-2010, 06:37 AM

Last photo:

well im going to ask what no one has did you dump the 2 year old gas and put new in
Old 12-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiacustomz
well im going to ask what no one has did you dump the 2 year old gas and put new in
It doesn't crank, its not a gas issue.
This is a good idea once he gets it running

Chet
Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Try to start it by sparking across the solenoid. On that you should only need a screwdriver. It will likely throw some sparks but thats normal dont be afraid of it.

If it will crank then, then you have a problem between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. If it clicks or wont do anything, then you have a battery, ground, or battery cable problem or possibly a starter solenoid problem. Post the results here and we'll go from there.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.