Hot Rod Forum banner

1998 gm z-71 5.7

971 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
I wrote in a while back about the problem that started after I installed a new cap , rotor & plug wires. The truck runs great except it will skip a beat while drivind down the road at just about any RPM. I installed another cap, & Rotor last night. The truck ran great this morning but today it started skipping again? Any Ideas
I installed a new gear on the dist.

#2 ·
Here's a remote thought...... In my old car I have an HEI and when you hit the gas the motor rocked abit and would dislodge the cap.......... When you pull the cap, after it starts skipping, and reinstall it does it run ok for a bit? Next time it happens, look closely at the hold downs on the cap and make sure it's not being dislodged. I ended up modifying the fire wall with a knockometer and it hasn't done it since.

#5 ·
gm Z-71 5.7

I've had aproblem with my Truck cutting out while driving at all rpms? New cap,rotor / wires & Plugs someone suggested changing the Cap which I did I also Installed a new gear because it showed some wear.

This all started when I installed the new cap, roter, & wires? I've had two Mech. look at it without any results?

After Installing a new cap yesterday I drove about 20 miles this morning and no problems, this afternoon it started to cut out again?

#7 ·
Since you're not running an HEI, I assume you have a points/coil/resistance wire system and have checked to make sure the dizzy bushing is nice and snug with no run-out.

Try this run a wire directly from the battery to the firewall side of the resistance wire (not the coil side of the resistance wire). see if the problem goes away...... if it does you have a bad 12v feed into the resistance wire. Be warned you will have to remove the wire from the battery to kill the engine.

If that has no effect, go to NAPA and get a ballast resistor, disconnect the resistor wire from the coil. Hook a wire from the battery to the ballast resistor, from the ballast resistor to the pos terminal on the coil. Basicly removing the resistance wire from the system. Once again you will have to remove the wire from the battery to kill the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.