1998 silverado 5.7 problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Last journal entry: 1950 chevy 3100 truck S 10 frame swap
Wiki Edits: 0

1998 silverado 5.7 problems

I bought this 1998 chevy silverado new and boy it has had it's share of problems, from vibrations, steering problems, fuel pumps, rusted brake lines,coolant loss, water pump, master cylinder, I could go on and on. Now I have a problem with the engine again. I replaced the intake gasket last year and had good luck with that. Then I purchased an MSD ignition from Jegs and put it on but did not notice a difference in the fuel mileage like they told me. A couple of weeks ago I was going up a hill and the engine started to studder and shake the dash real bad. I could press the gas and it would pick up and run good. Then last week it started to studder on level ground. I turned a corner last week and it started to quit and run like it was out of time. My first thought was timing chain. I pulled number 1 plug took cap off and had my son crank the engine. When tdc came up I could see the timing mark on the damper and it was right on the plate, and the rotor was looking at number 1 on the cap. Has anyone had any problem like this and if so please let me know where to look next. Truck has 166 K miles and it just quit a few months ago and I replaced the cam sensor and that fixed it again.
Thanks,
Jack C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Check the fuel pressure. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
You may also want to check over each vacuum line, even so I know it don't have many, those it does have in time start to dry rot and can crack under the bottom where you can't see them.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM

my 1998 silverado

Thanks for the reply. I am not a rich guy so I treat my truck to all the service it needs, oil changes fuel filters plugs so I try to take good care of it.
I have been told by the A Z guys when I told them what it did when it quit,was right off the bat, distributor gear. They told me that about 4 or 5 years GM bought cheap dist gears and they sell a slew of them. I know these new engines have to be perfect on timing so if the gear cracked or just wore out I would think when I checked timing mark with TDC and the rotor wouldn't be looking at number one plug location in the cap, but it was. I ran a code ck and it came up 404 EGR valve low voltage, so I replaced it. No go still the same. Fuel pressure is good I just put a delfi pump in it the last time it quit out of state, 135 miles from home. Had to go to sears and buy some tools and get my son and a couple of his friends to help me lift the bed off. I really depend on this truck everyday so i got to get it fixed, hey thanks for any help you all might have.
Jack C
Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer v 8 s 10
I bought this 1998 chevy silverado new and boy it has had it's share of problems, from vibrations, steering problems, fuel pumps, rusted brake lines,coolant loss, water pump, master cylinder, I could go on and on. Now I have a problem with the engine again. I replaced the intake gasket last year and had good luck with that. Then I purchased an MSD ignition from Jegs and put it on but did not notice a difference in the fuel mileage like they told me. A couple of weeks ago I was going up a hill and the engine started to studder and shake the dash real bad. I could press the gas and it would pick up and run good. Then last week it started to studder on level ground. I turned a corner last week and it started to quit and run like it was out of time. My first thought was timing chain. I pulled number 1 plug took cap off and had my son crank the engine. When tdc came up I could see the timing mark on the damper and it was right on the plate, and the rotor was looking at number 1 on the cap. Has anyone had any problem like this and if so please let me know where to look next. Truck has 166 K miles and it just quit a few months ago and I replaced the cam sensor and that fixed it again.
Thanks,
Jack C.
Misfiring under load is a classic symptom of bad plug wires or a bad cap. If it is a large cap HEi take a look at the center of the rotor real close. They tend to burn right through and short out.
Any codes?

Chet
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM

1998 silverado 5.7 problem

Yes we got code 404 which is low voltage from EGR Valve. I replaced it but didn't help. Like I said parts store told me dist. gear. I will pull it out and check it here soon, Thanks for all your help.
Jack C.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 AM

1998 silverado 5.7 problem

Chet,
I replaced the wires and cap and rotor last summer when I did the intake gasket, I know most of the parts stores sell very cheap (sometimes) parts and it is very possible that they could have gone bad. They look real good and we did pull some off to get cap off. They are not wet or oil soaked and all mounted in proper places. Man I have had several hot rods over the years and actually did have a timing jump a tooth several times and also had one break. I will tell ya the way it came to a stop I would have sworn it was a timing chain. It is out of time because when we crank it it is firing with the intake valve open. Seems everytime I have trouble with one of these new vehicles I have to become an expert on each one to get them going again, you ever feel that way?
Thanks,
Jack C.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Vortecs are picky about plugwires, I installed a set of Summit wires on my wifes ZR2 and didn't get 10k out of em about it started missing and carring on, cure was AC delco wires. did you use the Metal framed gaskets when you did the intake? The plastic frame replacement gaskets seem to fail just as bad as the stockers. Also just ran into a problem with a 4.3 vortec blazer withthe distributor cap. it was cross firesing inside the molded area of the cap where two lines came close to each other, new cap, ran like a champ, bad thing was the cap didn't look that bad and you really had to look close to see the discolored area inside the cap.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 AM

jim

Yes I agree the wires are made cheap these days and a lot of people go to A Z or other stores see them on sale and that is what you get. My son has a toyota and it was running like heck. I told him to change the fuel filter and it didn't help. You could hold the brake pedal and put it into drive and give it some gas and it would miss like heck. He had a friend that worked at a dealer and his friend ask one of the mechanics to look at it. He sat down in the car give it some gas with the brake on and in just a few seconds, said wires and plugs. He said only use factory parts, we did and it ran great. I will get back on this job here soon and I will get on the wires. Yes I did use the metal intake gasket. I can't believe GM built an engine with small intake bolts that go verticle to the intake. I just don't see how the bolts going down, can put the correct pressure on the gasket to keep it sealed, maybe that is why EVERY 5.7 and 4.3 has to have a gasket replaced.
Thanks,
Jack c.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I would get the EGR code straightened out first. Just a note, most egr codes are NOT caused by the EGR valve itself. It is probably the most coomon part that is replaced that didn't need to be.

Chet
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Here is a link to a good troubleshooting article for the EGR system

EGR Troubleshooting

In your case it sounds like the valve is not closing for some reason. If you still have it you may be better off cleaning and reinstalling the old one if you bought a cheap replacement

Chet
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
406cu.in. of tire smokin' fun

Last journal entry: 406 Build Thread
Last photo:

One other thing to add. The distributor on these trucks need to be set using a scan tool capable of doing so. If you pulled it, it needs to be reset.

I think the parts guy's opinion is not quite accurate. Gears tend to wear out and the problems would slowly get worse over time.

I don't know what the problem is but the behavior you are describing sounds exactly like the problems you could get from a bad EGR valve. I don't believe these have separate solenoids to control them and you've already replaced the valve, so that's probably not it.

Start checking for vacuum leaks including the intake.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:03 AM

Look for sparks under the hood at night also get a spray bottle and spray some water on wires cap to see if it starts to run worst and yes the dizzy gear does wear to when removed there sharp don't get cut just replace the gear.

Im running MSD wires with all MSD on my truck and they have done me right make sure you buy the right EGR valve because a wrong one will cause all sorts of problems. Cheap non brand wires can give one a big headache. Delco makes good wires as well oh im running NGK V-Groove plugs and they have done me right I have over 80K on them now.

SAY guys what about his Mass Air Flow Sensor????????
Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM

1998 silverado 5.7 problems FOUND THE PROBLEM

Hey everybody thanks for all the in put. I need to learn more about the scan tool needed to set the dist. when I replace it. So if anyone knows about it please let me know. Here is what I found today. I bought an MSD box from Jegs last summer. I could not tell any difference in the performance, and they didn't mention replacing the coil when I made the purchase. When I was talking to a man in autozone, and told him I had put an MSD box on my truck, he told me it would burn up a stock coil. What he said stayed in the back of my mind, but I thought nag, that can't be right, but he was right. I replaced the coil with a good used one I keep around just to test other chevys with and the thing started right up. It sounds just like it used to. I called Jegs in Columbus and ask about a MSD coil. I told him all about my problem and he said he had never head of it before. He did tell me that the MSD box will stretch a stock coil a lot. I told him to make sure that if he sells a MSD box to anyone else to make sure they purchase the correct coil for it too. It was actually same price as the one from zone and with shipping it was only 54.00 bucks. They shipped it today and I will have it tomorrow. I hope now I will get a little better mileage. I get 20 mpg now and I guess that is not bad for a full size ext cab truck. But the truck sure acted like a timing chain had jumped a tooth. I guess all of this will be good for future problems with the 5.7 engine. Again guy thanks for the help.
Jack C.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.