Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1998 Vortec 355 parts build Questions
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmonty
If the rod is damaged and you think you need to replace it you may be able to take it to a local machine shop for comparison. They probably have an extra lying around that you could get re-worked(magnafluxed,big end re-sized and new bolts) and weighed. You would have to take it to the shop anyway to get the piston pressed on & off if I'm not mistaken.
ssmonty
Yeah I got it pressed off with no damage to the piston shwooo I also found a STD STD GM Crankshaft used but ready for assembly today for 125.00.

Here is my question I bought fed mogul STD rod bearing, then cleaned the Crank Journals/Rod journals real good with alcohol, installed new bearings and double checked that they were clean, I then torqued them down to 45ft pounds with 1 strand of green plastigage and I get .0015. The person I got the crank from told me I should try for .001 Clearance Since the engine will be at around 150 to 160 degrees F. He is an old school Top fuel Machinist - engine Builder - Driver and was even in Hot rod magazines Didnt get the last name but First was Randy in midlothian, TX really nice guy.

Clevite recommends to have .001 clearance per 1 inch journal diameter in most applications. So that is about .0021 Also Clevite recommends if the application is a truck pulling a camper all the time go up to .003. I asked Randy about that and he Said it could be because of the high heat that a street engine will have. Marine engines run alot cooler.

Am I ok at .0015? I have not checked the others but is there a ballpark I need to stay in Say .001 - .002 on Rods Same on the Mains? and a little more for number 5 main

Last edited by Steveon91; 09-05-2011 at 10:14 PM.