Hot Rod Forum banner

1999 gmc jimmy

4K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
Hey guys i have a question about another truck this time.its a 1999 gmc jimmy 2wd.the lights all work but when i turn on the blinkers left or right theres a buzz noise coming from the flasher box i think its called.what can i do to fix this,its really annoying,thanks.

#3 ·
ok my misyake.it buzzes all the time unless i hit the brakes and it will stop.when i let off the brakes it starts back.i just got the truck and i though it was only doing it sometimes but it buzzez all the time.would it still be the turn signal flasher?

#5 ·
vicrod said:
Possibly the turn signal switch is bad and causing a small load on the TS flasher.
Check to see if the turn signals work OK and if the buzzing stops or not.
But, yes the TS flasher could be the problem.

vicrod
Well i replaced the flasher and that didnt help but after awhile it seem to stop on it's own for now.now there's another prob.

i notice a gash in the bottom of a hose that is rubber but it turn into metal where it hooks up.from browsing around,i believe its the high pressure hose.how do i fix this?like draining fluid and all and would it be safe to drive it to the auto store since now my check engine light is on?thanks.oh you guys wouldnt know where i could download a repair manual for this truck in a pdf format would ya?thanks again.

#7 ·
EOD Guy said:
Are you talking about the high pressure AC hose?
ah man im sorry.i forgot to say the high pressure power steering hose.i was wondering how to replace it.like if i unscrew it,will it shoot out and hurt me?do i have to drain it and do i have to get air out like when you do the brakes?sorry im a noob still and you guys always help me out when i need ya.

#8 ·
You can unscrew it no problem...... as long as the engine isn't running there is no pressure on the line..... Some of the parts stores sell direct replacement hoses..... I normally get mine made from a local hydralic shop..... I save about 1/3 over the parts store. When you remove the hose it should drain the power steering pump, no issues other than the mess, once you get the new hose on, simply fill the pump, start the engine and let it run for about 30 to 40 sec, shut it off and re-fill the pump, start it again and turn the steering wheel through it's full travel several times, shut it down and check the fluid level..... start it and turn the steering wheel through it's full travel (left and right) untill it stops squealing, top off the fluid level and you should be good to go.

#9 ·
EOD Guy said:
You can unscrew it no problem...... as long as the engine isn't running there is no pressure on the line..... Some of the parts stores sell direct replacement hoses..... I normally get mine made from a local hydralic shop..... I save about 1/3 over the parts store. When you remove the hose it should drain the power steering pump, no issues other than the mess, once you get the new hose on, simply fill the pump, start the engine and let it run for about 30 to 40 sec, shut it off and re-fill the pump, start it again and turn the steering wheel through it's full travel several times, shut it down and check the fluid level..... start it and turn the steering wheel through it's full travel (left and right) untill it stops squealing, top off the fluid level and you should be good to go.
awsome thank you so much.it sounds like a pretty easy job.i will asume i shouldnt put the old fluid back in even though it all just got put in with slick 50 due to replacing the radiator because the tranny radiator inside was busted.well my brother did it anyway.i was able to get it for 1250 and it looks and runs like a new one not to mention it suppose to have 80,000 on a rebuilt motor but the owner thought the tranny was shot.sorry for that im just happy for your help.i cant afford to put anymore money ini t,thanks again.

#11 ·
EOD Guy said:
I never reuse anything with the exception of antifreeze, IMO just not worth the risk of getting crap into a closed system, pwr steering fluid isn't that expensive etc...
Well things ont looking good.the power steering fluid check was fine so i checked the tranny fluid and it was almost all out.theres nothing on the ground and i just bought the truck and have only drove it a few times.i looked at all the lines and hoses and it seems if im correct and hoping its just a loose tranny fluid cooling line because where else is tranny fluid go come out like that and get everywhere under the front end?maybe you would have some ideas for me to try/check to rule out it being the tranny itself.even though it barley show any tranny fluid on the stick,it drove home just fine last night.

#12 ·
Wouldn't drive it untill you get this figured out...... very easy to burn up the bands in an auto tranny. Those tranny lines should be hard lines from the tranny to the radiator..... unless someone has modified them somewhere in it's life..... I'd get some de-greaser and clean up the area really good, sparkly clean, fill up the tranny to the correct level, start it and ck for leaks, if none are found..... drive it a few hundred yards and ck for leaks again...... repeat driving stopping untill you can narrow down where the leak is coming from. If the leak is coming from the rock cover (kinda like the bell housing on a manual tranny, then it prob a pump seal etc, could be the dipstick tube, could be the spedo connection, the kick down, tail shaft or the actual pan gasket or the drain plug etc....... you won't know untill you clean it up and do the cks

#13 ·
Ok my brother was telling me on the phone how it didnt make sense with there being no tranny fluid in it when there was no signs of leaks.like on the ground or being blown to the back of the motor and tranny.he said on jimmys your suppose to check it with it in nutrual and i didnt so i went out and he told me to pull the stick out while it was cold and the fluid showed it was fine so it was an error on my part.now im happy that all i got to do is replace the power steering pump hose.i thank you for your help as always.i know i would have been so screwed with my other car if it wasnt for you guys.i cant thank you enough and hope its not a bother when im back for more help and hopefully there wont be anything else anytime soon lol.well i do need shock put on and i dont know how to do that so that would be of great help but until than,god bless you guys and hope you never ever have car probs. :)

#14 ·
well after running it in neutral and in park checkin the tranny fluid twice,it showed almost nothing again.all i know to do is take to someone and let them check it because i checked everywhere and didnt see a leak even with a 6 inch in diameter spot of fluid on the ground but had been a slow drip cus it was mainly spreading on the ground not a puddle.if i get bad news than im just going to have to sell it :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.