1999 Monte Carlo Z-34 3800 series II no turbo Start up runs stahls unable to restart - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Old School Wrench

Wiki Edits: 0

1999 Monte Carlo Z-34 3800 series II no turbo Start up runs stahls unable to restart

HELP!

My Monte Has 159000 miles, the mrs was driveing it when it stahled out,called me and had her try to restart it, it did..she drove home no problem.
The following day figured possible gas filter, had it replaced. Car wouldnt start. would only run if i held it to the floor against the rev limiter, let off pedal slowly and stahled immediately...after several tries of this it finally started. drove normal...went about 5 miles to the local tire store for rotation,They went to drive it in and it started moved about 15 ft. stahled and wouldnt restart, after several attemps again it restarted..got it home checked fuel pressure constant 43 psi..running or just key in on position...replaced idle control valve...no change....During all this time no check engine light or codes. disconnected batt to reset comp and icv for 45 mins (over kill) but wanted to be sure...rehooked battery, Car started immediately. ran perfect as if nothing wrong until it hit running temp,then started to chug and shut down..will not start....when its cold and some times starts misfireing and smell of being flooded along with soot and black smoke..

I am completely stumped and have no idea whats going on...The car has been running flawless since i purchased it new in 1999...religiously getting oil changes at every 3 month 3000 miles along with regular fuel and air filters..

I hope someone can help me to find a solution..some say its fuel pump, some have said MAS...I unplug the mass air flow sensor and runs good with the exception of low rpms which is typical..when u unplug it...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

I would have to say the ignition control module is bad. If it starts and runs fine when cool and stalls at operating temp. Next time it stalls and won't restart you need to verify, fuel pressure, crank signal, spark, and injector pulse. The crank signal is very important with GM products. You lose the crank signal and you lose spark and injector pulse both because they are triggered or get their triggering command from the crank signal.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Old School Wrench

I have checked ,spark and fuel pressure, after stalling, when i try to restart the motor the only way it will run at all is if i hold the throttle wide open against the rev limiter.....am i missing something? fuel pressure constant at 43 psi and spark is normal. when it is stalling out it almost sounds like its flooded...with a huge smell of gas in the air.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

to be honest, I'm stumped...
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Old School Wrench

one other thing is..when i do get it running and drive it til it warms up it will saty running but very rough and it sputters and as well as soot and black smoke comes out the exhaust.....as long as i can 2 foot it i can make it back home barely....

Im not up on these electronic ignition stuff....

Im an old school guy that could remedy anything that doesnt have any emission ,electronic ignition etc...

could this be an egr issue.....
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

I understand your frustration... I doubt it's an EGR issue because it would be running lean. If you're saying that it is soot-ie that would lead me to believe it's running very rich. Unless maybe as the fuel injectors are heating up the resistance of the solenoids is increasing causing misfires... but then again that would lead to a lean issue. Hmm... I'm gonna keep thinking on this one.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Old School Wrench

Changed MAF sensor...seems to have solved the problem..road tested just fine!......have one more test to perform (one of its qwerks) letting it cool for 30 to 45 mins..if it refires normally.im going to call it problem solved!

this article helped!

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t539...y_running.html
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

temp senser , maybe going bad, seen a few 305 , and 350 chevy trucks do the same as your car. with no codes . you need a scann tool , to look at the live data.( the engine was fully warmed up , the temp senser was reading 3 or 4 degres )
Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 AM

I own a 38000 series engine and recently getting some problems. The engine has a knocking sound, but only once it reaches operating temperature. When cold, it sounds perfect. I have pulled the oil pan to check the rod bearings for play, but they are all tight, no play or slop at all. I did not see any metal shavings in the old oil or in the pan. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it may be or what to check next?
3800 series engine parts

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.