1st, 2nd, 3rd! No 4th gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 06:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1st, 2nd, 3rd! No 4th gear

In my 2004r tranny I installed, it is acting a little strange.

First off, it seems to vog the motor down when giving a lot of throttle. I am guessing that I could have damaged the hei, while filling tranny up a little spilled on the hei distributor an plug wires. That question is still in the air.

2nd off, i tried to hook the lock-up to a toggle switch but does not want to work.

3rd off, it seems that I dont have fourth gear (od).
when I shift manually from 1st up it feels like I am only getting 3 gears. It could be just me, but there is a sort of vibration when leaving off the throttle. And ever since I put trany in, there is a knocking feel in the steering wheel. Like something is tapping it.

4th off, When I put tranny and torque converter in, the torque converter had to be pulled a 1/2 inch towards the flywheel. When back at the tranny the converter spun freely and easily. When put to the flywheel, it was less free and took more force to spin.

Could I have the wrong converter? COuld I just get new bolts and spacers to go between the converter and flywheel?

Keep in mind I am probably going to be parking the car in about a month and making it into a race car. Rollcage and a 454 engine.
Just dont want the thing to die on me in the mean time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2003, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

here's what I know

on the torque converter, you need to pull the flywheel forward when you install it (buy hand or prybar)just slide it to the flywheel and make sure you have your alignment hole in the right spot. then you can tighten it down. If you try to pull it in with the bolts it will get ****ed in the and will wear out the pump inside and depending on how long you drove it this way it could have some parts wore out on the inside. this could cause a vibration in the car after you let off the gas. As for the gears I will find out at work tomorrow. What trany is it?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

The thing is, I can slide it back and forth. It is in the splines right.
I was told that I should only be able to move it back and forth 1/8" from flywheel to tranny. I can move it much more than that.
It is a 2004r tranny from the yard'.

I have a pecular feeling that maybe my diveshaft is not balanced anymore, but that would not explain the knocking in the steering and the bogging down. It acts like it wants to stall but does not, and when taking off it feels like only half the engine is working. This only happens in gear. It does not happen in nuetral or park.
In park and neutral it purrrs!

I forgot to add, I can start the car in any gear. I think that is a no-no.

I am probably being a pain in the *** about this, and I am sorry.
You only learn once and then you know better! lol

I think I am just looking for reassurance that the tranny won't fly apart in the next month. also a fix for it. lol

I was just looking around the web and found some interesting info.

Do you think that the thrust bearing could be the culprit of my dilema?
I did have 3/4 inch of metal in the pan of my last tranny, and the torque converter fell apart inside when I took it off.
Maybe my problem is a little bigger than I thought?

Last edited by Deadtemple; 10-14-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:34 PM

k well my first question is did you flush the tranny cooler if the torque converter went bad on the old tranny it will shed bits of metal that would have been pumped though the tranny and cooler, if you don't flush the cooler these metal filling will destroy a new tranny in short order.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

yes I flushed cooler with air compressor.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:59 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

First, I would not be concerned about the space between the convertor and flywheel being over 1/8". I don't know where that info came from, but it is wrong. As for the engine bogging down when in gear, check for an engine miss under load. Check to make sure that the plug wires and dist cap are on right, and no wores loose. For the vibration, check the mounts, engine and trans. Also check and make sure the exhaust is not hitting something. Since you did not give any info as to what car you are working on, it is just a guess, but you might try taking the driveshaft loose and turn it 1/2 turn in the rear yoke. If the driveshaft connects at the rearend with a flange, they often vibrate if installed different than originally.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the suggestions adtkart.
The car I am working on is an 85 Monte Carlo SS.

I did find the knocking feeling in the steering whell, I think. The starter bolt came out of it and was loose. I have fixed that and hopefully fixed that problem. I also turned the timing up about 6 degrees past the norm, for it to stop wanting to cut out at a stop sign.
I do still have a leak coming from the torque converter everytime I stop. It is only a few drops, but I can live with that for a short time. I was trhinking about rotating the driveshaft to see what it will do, so I think I will rotate it tomorrow after work.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.