1st attempt at painting!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 01:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1st attempt at painting!!

Already have the 74 Corvette in primer and am ready for paint. I did a test run today on a spare fiberglass hood from my stepsons 88 Camaro. Primed with PPG K-36 yesterday and painted it today with PPG bc/cc Race car white. My son in-law does air brush work and wanted something to test on before we do the Vette. He hasn't air brushed with bc/cc before. Iv'e rattle canned all my life so I didn't think it would be to much of an adjustment. Set my air got a good test pattern on cardboard and did the hood. HOW COOL! It's like a great big rattle can. Only a whole lot better!! No runs, no sags, no errors. The hood goes to the son in-laws shop in the am. I rebuilt the car as a street version of a mid 70's Corvette Trans Am Road Racer. The paint job is going to be an American Flag, front 1/3 blue w/stars and the stripes running the rest of the length of the car. The Vetts dominated in this era and this type of paint job was popular when they went to Europe to race. ( kinda Pi$$ed them off a whole bunch over there) We have to paint the body white lay out the blue, the red stripes, stars the shading and clear coat all in less than 24 hrs. If it works it should look really cool but there is a lot of room for a disaster too.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2004, 10:37 AM

Re: 1st attempt at painting!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pony
Iv'e rattle canned all my life so I didn't think it would be to much of an adjustment. Set my air got a good test pattern on cardboard and did the hood. HOW COOL! It's like a great big rattle can. Only a whole lot better!!

I hope when I paint my first time it turns out as well.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

I had a pleasurable first time experience as well. I painted a motorbike tank and accessories.

It came out pretty darn good except I was very cautious on the amount of paint I put onto the piece. I went thin instead of heavy because I was scared of runs which ended up with a slight orange peel.

I found that mixing a small amount of paint up and just practicing on a scrap fender or something helps out greatly. I used up a few ounces of leftover paint just experimenting how much paint I could apply on a pass before it starts to run. You quickly get a feel for your gun this way.

Remember, the paint looks the best when you spray it on nice and thick and just on the verge of a run. Too thin creates an orange peel.

kev
Old 05-25-2004, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

just like a rattle can. only better.

heck yeah! way better. and better fumes too! can't wait to see the end results.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

Plan "A" was to take the hood over to my son in-laws shop for him to get his air brush set up dialed in with the PPG base coat we're using. Then this morning came. Went to get in the truck (89 F-250) Stepped on the step, grabbed the wheel slid in, the steering column goes POP! and gets all sloppy. It's a tilt column, everyone kinda uses it to help get in the truck and it had a crack in the tilt housing and the turn signals have been a little weird forever. So now it decides to break, Better in the yard than on the road I guess.. So the better part of today was spent junk yarding a replacement, swapping out key switches (the donor had none) and installing it. About the time I'm done the step son rolls up in his 88 Camaro (2.8 V6 5 speed) and says "it made a BANG! and I have no clutch". He gets it jacked up and the hydraulic cylinders work, the clutch arm works but no clutch. So the pressure plate is out to lunch. Can you see where this is all going! At least I didn't have a BOOM! today. (I've had them before) I just want to get this Vette painted!! Oh well on to plan "B"

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.