Hot Rod Forum banner

1st Gen Camaro fender repair

859 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tech69 
#1 ·
Before I consult a body shop, what course of action do you recommend being used?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Kinda depends on if that's an original fender first of all. I would suggest repairing that fender if it fit good before the dent. I would want to repair it with it off the car because I think the brace will require straightening. If time were included for cutting a section from the brace then straightening the fender and fixing what looks like maybe a little puncture on the skin then straightening and welding the brace back, that could be a nice repair but perhaps overkill. It could be pulled out fairly easy but straightening the brace might be best with the fender off.

#3 ·
As the Idrivejunk said, it's really a pretty easy fix. If you could see inside with the door open, if the inner brace is ok, just pull the outside with a welded on tab or a stud gun and wham bam you are done.

Brian

#6 ·
However, and this is a HUGE however, removing that fender isn't easy!

The hood needs to come off, the alignment of the fender is a job in it's self, a box of shims, it's a HUGE job. The fender will likely get damaged at the top requiring the hood and header panel to be blended, it changes everything removing that fender.

I say repair it on the car unless he is truly ready for this HUGE job. The dent is a piece of cake compared to removing the fender and fixing it off the car. With it on the car you have more control, I say leave it there.

I am not talking as one of us pros here but throwing out info for the poster to make up his mind with the ideas we toss him that fit him and his skills.

Brian

#7 ·
That's right, guys... Fender removal may not be necessary and would add considerable labor but could result in a better repair. OP says he is going to a body shop with it, and since they will have numbers to guide the decision while viewing damage firsthand, that's really where the decisions will be made. This could be a mega bucks show car or a warmed-over survivor, could be original owner or just bought. Lots of variables. Good idea, bouncing off the forum before going to a shop.

#8 ·
Exactly, that's why I added those thoughts, he has a lot to think about. I had forgotten he was bringing it to the shop. But still, the more into the better.

Brian

#9 ·
very simple dent. Off the car would be better but as said, The hood attaches to the jamb of the fender. You'd first go straight at that body line cause that's holding tension around it. You work around it and then pull the line and you have created more tension for pulling out the body line, so going right for that line is important. Most times you work in reverse order of how the damage occurred, but body lines are the exception. The lines themselves even deformed create a lot of tension in a small area, so pulling everything else first and you might make a teepee cause you should have released the tension in the body line first.

#10 · (Edited)
Its hard to tell from a picture but the paint on the car don't look so great, Regaurdless of how you fix the dent, the final paint is the problem ,it needs to be unnoticeable NOT all shinny and new, it needs to match the old paint so a blend and burn is the only way to get it done. you better give that some thought before you get started. fixing the dent is ez but making it look like it hasnt been fixed is the hard part. it almost looks like you may need to burn some SS into the the rest of the fender ,painting just what is needed to cover the repair. If you blend and clear the whole fender it'll stick out like a sore thumb ,even worse than that little dent . If you blend into the door it'll be even worse. A SS blend and burn is your only option and that takes some skills so you need to give it some thought maybe have paintless dent repair guy come over is your best option, unless your painting the whole car. Have you thought much on that?
getting a Camaro fender off and back on is a job for a pro and even then it'll test their patience, No way would I suggest removing it to someone that's never done this work before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.