Hot Rod Forum banner

1st painting

6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  willys36@aol.com 
#1 ·
Im ready to paint my first car (73'nova). Ive read several books, and talked to several jobbers, Id like to hear some suggestions on a good air compressor,and gun as well for a 1st timer.

#3 ·
Don't be tempted to skimp on an air compressor. IMO, avoid the direct drive models, as their rated performance is quite often exaggerated. I would go for a belt drive two cylinder model of at least 2HP (not peak rating, an honest 2hp minimum). You want to invest in a quality air compressor that will hang with you for many years.

As for a gun, you can buy a cheapo gun from Harbour Freight for applying primer. For actual painting I would get several quality guns such as Binks, Devilbiss, or Sharpie. I would purchase a high volume gun for larges areas, and a touch up gun for door jambs and such.

Vince

#5 ·
Nova33;

Lookes like everone has you set up for equipment,don`t forget a pressure regulater and moisture trap.

You need lots of practice.

Painting is like playing a guitar or playing pool, some never get it.
Good Luck;

Troy

#6 ·
Not to discourage you or anything but I gave the old paint a gun a try last year on my Nova and quickly decided that I didn't have the patients for that type of work. I hope it works out for you. This guy I have painting mine now is really getting on my last nerve. I've been tempted to give it another try myself. Be sure to post us some pics of it when you're done.

#8 ·
UGH!!!.. Painting a car is not a joke you have to be commited first of all at takes alot of patients iv been trying to paint my pinto for 2 years now with my dad.. House of Kolor are the pros!! Dont trust napa or any other renta painters. House of Kolor offers free shipping on there paints also. Ok its time to let the 15 year old school ya. Id get a video on how to paint if I was you from house of kolor I recently just got it now I know what I was doin wrong. The compressor Oiler, Low gun setting, Cheap napa paint, I can go on forever. USE HOUSE OF KOLOR.

First: THe air system get a inch and a half feeder lines using a galvonized material so rust and stuff like that dont build up and come out as dirt on your paint job. The inch and a half feeder line, always point up. The use 2 streak 90's this will prevent any oil from dropping down onto your paint job. Well Ill show you picture of my setup. It is a must!! There are alot of steps other then paint. The air system must be kept as pure as possible. Hmm I dont know much about air systems so ill move on. Also try and maintain a constant psi wich is usually about 60 psi depending on paint. Do it right take ur time stick with the steel galvonized.

Second: Paint guns buy the american made high quality paint guns. Buy the most expensive gun you can afford. Treat your paint gun like the important tool it is. Clean the gun inbetween paint jobs. If you can tell which paint you used last you arent cleaning the gun good. Make sure the tip of the gun is always clean gen a brush with some laquer thinner and clean it occasionally maybe inbetween paint coats if it is needed. I have been using a HVLP gun High Volume Low Pressure which I have had no luck with but I was also using the wrong psi cause the napa wouldent tell me. Which is about 60 depending on the paint if you get House of Kolor paint they have a section on there website that tells you the psi and setting you should use for your paint. HVLP guns deliver 75% ratio of paint on the car a siphon feed gun is only 25% and the siphon feed gun has alot of overspray. The choice is up to you. Buy the bust gun you can afford and take care of it. Clean it after your done using it and keep some laquer thinner at the bottom of the gun after your done using it so the guns gasket material wont dry up and mess up the gun.

Three: Safety get a resperator or something to clean the air. A charcole filter will work great. It is a must If you breeth isosionate vapors it will clot in your system and cause you probs down tha road. Thats all I use so hmm.

Four: Try and strip down all the old paint of the car it is almost impossible to get a quality paintjob with the old paint on the car.
When you bondo the car make sure it is flawless take your time!! Try and use a good primes an epoxy base primer if you have the money.
"you cant build a fine house on a swamp, nor can you do a quality paintjob on a bad prime or paint structure"

Five: Gun Handeling ... Ugh I dont know howto demonstrate this Try and always keep the gun ppointing... nevermind ;/

A couple tips wet the floor to keep the dust down in the painting area. Always wetsand! when you wetsand you have to soak the sandpaper in soapy water is nessesary the wetsand paper company will tell you how long usually like 15 or so minutes. Use a dish soap the slick the water when you sand so it dont stick to the car like it sometimes does.

I recommnd you get a How to Paint a Car video from house of kolor like I did. Pay 40 bucks for a video probally save you a gripa money and countless hours.

#9 ·
First... I think someone has been reading too much. No one can say to set the air pressure at a certain level for all paints. The manuufacturers of the paint and paint gun will tell you what they recommend. I doubt that anyone will tell you that you want 60 psi on a HVLP(High Volume Low Pressure) gun. I have an old gravity feed gun(not HVLP) and usually have it set at no more than 45 PSI.

Second... Everyone has their own feelings on the brand of paint. I have had good results out of Dupont. I know people that swear by Sherwin Williams. I personally don't like it as it sounds too much like house paint, and I hate to paint the house. I know of alot of shops that use PPG. Just always try to use all of the same brand to avoid problems with chemical compatability.

Since I painted my first car in about 1970, I have some idea what I am talking about. Although there are some out there that know alot more than me, like Willy, Troy, and HK, I didn't just see it in a video from a single paint manufacturer.

#11 ·
I used that cheap NAPA paint on my S-10....Only $500 for everything. BTW it is Martin Senour and is made by Sherwin Williams. I had no problems once I figured it out. The base does not cover as well as some, but I was very happy with the finished product.

ChrisM, I would do some painting. The books and videos are good, but untill you have a few jobs under your belt.........

I am by far no expert, just a back yard mechanic that likes to paint.

I would add Collinsmoco to the list above. They are pro.

Chris

#12 ·
First everybody has a preference on the paint they use. There is nothing wrong with martin senour,dupont,ppg and so on. Usually someone has 1 bad experience with a brand and instantly they think it is crap. Not every single job turns out perfect. My personal preference is PPG DELSTAR BC/CC with refinishers select clear(made by sherwin williams). I do not recommend acrylic enamel to any of my customers unless they insist that is what they want. There are quite a few guns out there that are very capable of the job but honestly feel hvlp is the way to go for your colors and clears. I use a cheap siphon feed gun to spray my prime. The 2 things IMO that make a quality job are PREP before and wetsand and buff after. I may catch some heat for this next statement but HOUSE OF KOLOR is a great paint but if you are not building a SHOW CAR why pay the added cash when you can get the same results out of PPG,SHERWIN and others

#13 ·
I was just telling the guy basically was in the video. An i have had a couple paint jobs. 1st Oxford white with metallic blue pinstripes. Then visaversa " http://groups.msn.com/BettaPics/shoebox.msnw " take a look ima try an have pops get the white paintjob off of the video camera but the clearcoat/pinstripe tape sucked the people at napa wouldent help out much at all. O well good luck:evil:

#15 ·
Wow 60 lb. of pressure. thats ok on the compresser side, just be sure to regulate it for what ever gun and paint system you are using. Get tech sheets from the paint store,and follow the directions of the paint gun mfg. for a starting point. Be sure and use a respirator,once the chemicals enter your system they stay forever,even through your skin. Read the label.

Sand paper and elbow grease will take care of a lot of flaws in the clear,but not streaking or molting or ghosting in the color, of course there`s runs,waterfalls,fisheyes ,lots of things sand paper will not cure. One step paint is not very forgiving.

As for brands, all paint co. have a top line and a bottom line of paint,

I use ppg most of the time. But on my show car I used Martin senour, which is made by sherman willams, and sold by NAPA, because it was free(sponsored)thru a field rep. Of course I`ve used a lot of there product in the last 50 years. check my album it`s the red 69 camaro. It was painted in 94 and still looks fresh.

I cuold go on and on. But the page is not long enough for every thing you need to know. Good Luck we need more good painters.

Troy;

:sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

#18 ·
One thing we all need to remember is that none of us know everything about anything. I read the posts everyday that I can to try to pick-up more knowledge from others and help when I can. There is no book or video that will actually teach everything about painting, or even you how to paint. If you have the knack or ability, practice will get you there. Some people, there isn't enough paint or time to get there. I generally try to throw out suggestions and pointers to help. Quite often, someone will respond that I am wrong. That is their choice. If it is an area that I know nothing about, I say nothing and try to learn.

Every painter has their favorite product, proceedure, and equipment. I try not to recommend a certain brand because everyone has their own experiences and opinions. Painting your own car/truck can have it's own rewards. It can also be extremely depressing when something goes wrong and the cost goes up from there.

Good Luck.

#19 ·
Very well said guys.

Troy;

#20 ·
adtkart said:
As an added note. I wouldn't pay alot of attention to Willy. I think he could use water colors and come out with a show quality finish. I've seen his photos. Either he is real good, or he uses trick photography for everything.:rolleyes:
Well, if you don't pay much attention to me, you will join a long list of people including my wife and kids! :laugh: You are too kind with your praise. I make all or more of the mistakes everyone else makes - my claim to fame is that I have the patience of Job and will color sand for days to salvage a severely orange peeled paint job or spend 3 years on a complicated wood carving to get it right. Persistence pays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.