1st time posting, sandblasted car now flash rust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013, 03:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1st time posting, sandblasted car now flash rust

i just blasted my frame after removing the entire floor now i need to protect it. what should I use?
I have etching & epoxy primers but I am out of rust encapsolator. I have it on order along with Internal Frame Coating from eastwoods.
there is flash rust starting in some areas & forecast calls for rain.

do not want to do this job over again so what should I do?
any recomendations for picking up something local like from home depot or other local stores if the epoxy & etching primer are not recommended?
?

i have dupont epoxy primer & kirker enduro epoxy primer on hand
what should I use to clean up the flash rust?
anyone ever use CLR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM

subscribed
Old 10-21-2013, 04:19 PM
34 chevy truck 410 merc power

Last photo:

Just get you some steel wool. 00 type. It will remove the light rust, and, unlike using CLR, you will not have anything to clean off the surface. Just wipe it clean after. Then, primer it, with any primer.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 PM

Get rid of the rust and SPI epoxy primer. Won't have problems
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderless 33 View Post
Get rid of the rust and SPI epoxy primer. Won't have problems

X2 for sure
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

flash rust is no problem, happens all the time, just sand it off with 220...will come off very easily. I find finer grits are better for removing more of the light rust such as this because they put finer scratches in the metal which removes more of the rust, and doesn't 'skip' or jump over a lot of it like coarser grits, such as 80. Clean with wax and grease remover well then put 2-3 coats epoxy on. If it helps you to just do sections at a time, the just do it in sections, though once you start spraying it goes very quickly. Scuffing off the flash rust shouldn't take much time at all.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang32 View Post
i just blasted my frame after removing the entire floor now i need to protect it. what should I use?
I have etching & epoxy primers but I am out of rust encapsolator. I have it on order along with Internal Frame Coating from eastwoods.
there is flash rust starting in some areas & forecast calls for rain.

do not want to do this job over again so what should I do?
any recomendations for picking up something local like from home depot or other local stores if the epoxy & etching primer are not recommended?
?

i have dupont epoxy primer & kirker enduro epoxy primer on hand
what should I use to clean up the flash rust?
anyone ever use CLR?
Run a Da with 80 grit over the areas that have flash rust...clean the surface with a quality wax and grease remover until it is clean. The cleaner you get the raw metal, the better adhesion your going to get.

Etch Primer is fine for small burn through's, for large areas like the ones your talking about, Epoxy primer is the best way to go. I'm not familiar with Kirker's Epoxy but am familiar with most of Duponts line of Epoxy...they are a respectable product for minimizing future rust...however they don't sand that well.

A good sanding Epoxy Primer is SPI's Epoxy...2 coats, allow it set up for about 48 hours, sand with the grit of paper recommended by the paint manufacturer that you are planning on using and paint the primed area.

If your interested in SPI, here is their web site

Home

They have excellent wax and grease removers, primers, clear coats and several outstanding color choices, service is great and shipping is free.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 10-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
flash rust is no problem, happens all the time, just sand it off with 220...will come off very easily. I find finer grits are better for removing more of the light rust such as this because they put finer scratches in the metal which removes more of the rust, and doesn't 'skip' or jump over a lot of it like coarser grits, such as 80. Clean with wax and grease remover well then put 2-3 coats epoxy on. If it helps you to just do sections at a time, the just do it in sections, though once you start spraying it goes very quickly. Scuffing off the flash rust shouldn't take much time at all.
I can understand what your saying Josh, that 220 will have a smaller sand scratch than 80 grit and remove flash rust faster. That's fine if you go over the raw metal again with 80 grit as is recommended by most Epoxy primer manufacturers. The problem with just using a fine paper on steel is that it does leave a smaller scratch and seeing that steel is more rigid than paint, the finer grit can end up polishing the metal more than leaving the foot print needed for optimum adhesion.

Ray
Old 10-21-2013, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

I see I inadvertently removed some of the text from my post while writing it as I was rearranging sentences. What I had originally said was

'After 220 I give it a once over with 80 grit on DA. Another reason I like to use the 220 first besides cutting out the fine rust better is because I can get into little nooks and crannies with it easier (I'm using sandpaper in hand, not on a DA for this), something I can't do with a DA necessarily.'

I originally figured this out because sometimes I would 80 DA something but could still see some rust down in there, and realized a finer grit took it all out better. So I just started doing this initially for everything. My DA is also electric, so it is much slower than an pneumatic DA which could be why it wasn't clearing as well.

Yes, it's recommended for the epoxy I use (SPI at least) to go on 80 grit DA metal.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:11 PM

my issue is that the areas I have blasted are not capable of getting a DA into for the most part so the job i dreded to do in the first place(sanding) still has to be done.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

it's not as dreaded as it was before you started blasting. Don't use a DA then, just use some sandpaper you cut from a sheet and scuff it by hand. All you're doing is sanding to remove very light surface rust.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

red scotchbrite and then clean it and epoxy it.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Shine's right, the metal has been sand blasted, a red scotch brite isn't going to change the profile of sand blasted metal....80 on the DA for fresh or un sandblasted metal or metal that has a bit more than flash rust.

Ray
Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i would strongly suggest to invest a small amount in spi epoxy . i have not used the dupont in many years but suspect it has changed like ppg has in the dplf line. ray may know more since he still uses it some . kirker is a no go in my shop .
Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

????, Sorry Shine, last time I used PPG Epoxy was well over a year ago, I used some Nason a few months ago that the customer purchased and had started a job with it....I know the Nason sands like crap and won't use it. Never tried Kirker and with the results I'm getting from SPI...don't see a need.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.