2.3 ranger timing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 05:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2.3 ranger timing

I am trying to replace a broken timing belt on a 1995 ford ranger 2.3 and I have run into a problem identifying the timing marks on the sprockets. I have replaced the belts on 90-93 models with no problems but this is a different set-up as there seems to be no visible timing marks. There is a flange attached to the back of the cam and oil pump sprockets that has a flat indentation about 1/8" deep and 1/4" wide but this does not seem to provide proper timing. A repair manual I have mentions 93-94 California models with 5 speed transmission that require a synchronizer tool to properly set timing but this truck is a 95 and I have no idea if it is a california model. I am at a loss on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2004, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

timing marks

I cant find a decent picture of the timing marks in my Ranger book either.
I would recommend going with the California tuning setup if you can do it and then you can always advance or retard the cam a tooth to get it where you want it. I realize thats going to require a little extra work. Suggestion that if you do find the timing mark, slap a dab of paint or else do some inscribing on it to make it show up better, ditto on the crank gear as well.

Seems the only marks Ive ever seen were a little dot or arrow on the cam gear and a groove in the crank gear. and the cam gear was suppposed to be aligned with a mark on the block. I dont remember where the mark on the crank gear was supposed to point and my book leaves that part out completely.

Haynes may make good underwear but the Haynes Shop manuals leave a lot to be desired.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

There are no marks of any kind on the gears just those indentations on the attached flange and the manual just mentions the California set-up,not much detail except some kind of special tool needed. This one has me really puzzled because it seems no one(including me until now) has seen gears with no timing marks but that is just what I have. I agree with you on those manuals as they explain only what is obvious anyway and not much in the way of real help.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

2.3 timing

Do you have a degree wheel? If you can get ahold of the degree of the lobe center for the intake valve, then you could set it with that. First would be to turn your cam til the # 1 lobe is down on the valve and the valve is fully depressed. Using a dial indicator to establish full opening. With the crank at TDC, Install the degree wheel to it, Zeroed. affix a pointer to the block pointing to the Zero. Turn the crank til it achieves the desired degree for the camshaft intake center line. IE: 108 degrees past TDC. Then install your belt. Unfortunately I dont have the specs for your camshaft, as I am not sure if the grind has been changed any over the years. If it was the same as as the cams used up through 92, I have those specs.

After you do this you install the belt, then you will have to turn the engine til you are on #1 cylinder combustion stroke at TDC and retime your distributor.

After going to all that trouble, when you have your engine back on TDC compression stroke, I would make some witness marks of my own for the timing belt for future repairs or replacements.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

Set crank to TDC. There is a triangle mark on the timing cover backing plate at about the 4 or 5 o'clock position. There is a triangle mark on the cam gear. The oil pump gear should have a diamond mark and be set to the 12 o'clock position corresponding to a diamond on the timing cover backing. PM me if you cant find it and I can email the page out of the 95 book.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

2-many That did the trick! Thanks a bunch, I went back and rubbed the flange with some steel wool and sure enough I could very faintly make out the marks just as you described and that very definitely solved the problem.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

Your welcome.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.