2.8L Chevy Motor better than a 4.3L ??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the only difference int he fiero engine and the rwd counterpart is the block has different engine mounts , and the starter is on the oposite side of the block , and the fireo intake is slightly different to clear the distibutor since the intake faces backwards

fwd engines have different mounting pads for engine mounts,starter location and all have aluminum heads

properly setup clearanced and balanced , with attention to detials the bottom end will take alot
factory rods are rated for 400hp to 7k rpms

i have factory rods in mine and ive gone to 8,400 by accident on a few occasions with the turbo engine

1st stage of upgrading the rods is the usual recondition + shot peening + arp bolts
if thats not enough for u the small journal 327 rods offer a big strenght increase according to the 60* bible and require a lil bit of machining to be used . iirc u need to bush the small end , and remove .100 from one side of the rod to fit on the rod journal

i suggest main studs on any engine that will see sustained 7k+ rpms
i dont use those either i just use an additional 10-15ftlbs of tq on the mains , i will admit i had my rotating assembly lightened considerably so this plays a role in my ability to turn such high rpms with stock stuff

the fwd block does offer some advantages , the gen 3 engines and up switched from cam first oiling to the priotiry main oiling system of the sbc , these engines are also roller cam equiped unlike the rwd version which are flat hyd

the fwd block can be retrofited to rwd applications but requires u to fab a passenger side mount which is really simple

the latest blocks also have cross bolted mains with a cast aluminum oil pan

in sprint car midget racing and boat racing these engines were destroked to 2.5L or run as 2.8L engines and produced 400hp n/a on alky , on these engines there were problems with the blocks cracking around the mains, and cam tunnels much like the factory ford 302 block.

these engines saw very high sustained rpms , out of all the street motors and builds on a bunch of different forums noone has been able to crack a block and there are ppl making 5-600 hp turbocharged , i will say at these power levels block and crank prep is crucial , if the mains walk and they will if everything isnt perfect the results are pretty spectacular blowups ( i.e ur liable to drive over the crank/rods and pistons )

there is a much forgoten about 60* engine that makes killer power , its width prevents it being swaped into a lot of cars though

this engine would be the 3.4 dohc variant turbocharge one of these beasts and 450-500 hp without trying to hard is very possible

problem is ur stock with stock timing belts and cams , u can get cams but at 200 bucks times 4 its not cheap , i have never asked delta cams about grinding cams for this engine but im sure they can and im sure it would still be 2-400 bucks for all 4 cams

these engines do 7k rpms out of the box and the heads flow more then ls series heads i have flow charts somewere if u would like to see them

there is also the mpfi 3.6 out of the caddy (280hp) this is the engine the 3.6 d.i (312hp) engine is built off of and basically an upgraded 3.4 dohc this engine makes stupid power as well but is costly due to it being a caddy only

lol i can go on and on since i havent even goten into the new familys of engines such as the 3500 ,3900 engines

anyways if u have one or still have the fiero and want some more power out of it let me know what exactly u would like to get out of it and i can go into a more detialed build/p[arts list that will get ya what u want

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Project89 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (06-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Actually I don't own the fiero anymore, but i'm shopping v6 third gens at the moment. The 60* v6 interests me but ultimately I plan on doing a forced induction setup on a quad4. I want to play with the 6'er a little bit while I have the quad in pieces.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quad 4? That thought has crossed my mind a few times but I must ask, why not a DI ecotec engine? Much easier to find a trans and can hit 400+hp with just a turbo swap.

Plus the timing chain on quad 4's will give you nightmares, I rebuilt enough of them to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Quad 4? That thought has crossed my mind a few times but I must ask, why not a DI ecotec engine? Much easier to find a trans and can hit 400+hp with just a turbo swap.

Plus the timing chain on quad 4's will give you nightmares, I rebuilt enough of them to know.
I usually just build things for $ to fun ratio, but with the quad4 camaro my goal is to try to make something gm would have offered in the chevy f-body as a direct competitor to the SVO mustang. I'm only shooting for about 250hp at the crank. I guess you could say its conceptual. I already expect to pay out the nose at quad4rods for the bellhousing...
Old 06-15-2013, 09:29 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

It's a shame you're not doing that with a Ford, much easier and cheaper route to take. Or to go ecotec and use a solstice trans.

Should be interesting though, be sure to post all your progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

+1 on the ecotec we have a member on tgo currently doing an ecotec swap in his thirdgen camaro

one word of advice if u do plan on a forced induction v6 thirdgen u do not want a 5 speed car #1 the clutch wont hold anything much past stock and ur pretty much only option is a spec clutch which is about 350 bucks , then u still have to worry about the t5 puking up its guts with the massive tq the turbo v6 makes

on a side note speedway motors sells a 60* to 90* trans adapter for 60 bucks so u can use any gm 90* patterened trans behind the 60* engine auto or manual, we have a member with a th350 and also another with a t56

i myself am looking for an iron duke powered f-body to build with a turbo just cause i can and it would really be something different , u never ever see a 4cyl f-body around anymore
Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Sorry !!!!! But you can't compare a 2.8 to a 4.3,,,, Night and day difference between the two... 2.8 shouldn't have even been made..
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 PM

2.2 ecotec in a local BMW 318 makes 275 HP with a mild turbo build.This same local guy also uses Supra 6s in anything wanting to be fast
Old 06-16-2013, 05:54 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

First off here is the parts changes tat where made on 4.3's:

Rebuilding the New Chevy 262: Engine Builder

And it's not true there aren't any aftermarket heads for them:

Aluminum Cylinder Heads

I had a set on a Bowtie stroker with a common pin forged crank in a Chevette that ran mid 10's every day any day.That is a N/A engine in a 2500lb car with a turbo 350 trans.

The differences in a OEM 4.3 crank being as split journal rod bearing crankshaft and a 350,is the rods are offset in the 4.3's.If you center the rods to the bore center line,you end up having rods that edge ride on the crank rod journal bearings and create fiction.If your center the rods to the crank journal,you end up having pistons that rock in bores and create fiction.If you measure the bores on a used 4.3,you most likely will find number 3 and 5 bores that are oval needing boring.No real solution other than the common pin forged crank and Bowtie block.Kind of the reason why I went that way.

BUT,to be different costs big BUCKS!!!I had about two and haft $$$$ SBC bucks into that 4.3 and for the first time in many,many,yrs lost big on it's resale.

Good power output to make your eyes squint and would buzz to the moon(because the physic's don't change.Small CI engines you have to spin them up higher to get anything out of them),but very,very,expensive.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Some info: Chevy 90 degree V6

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.