Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 2 compressors, which should i get?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 08:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Toy, That Ingersoll ad is a good example of what I have been saying about sales hype--it is pure nonsense! That ad is worded to sound like the single stage pump is BETTER which is definitely not true! On the surface it looks like the Ingersoll would be the better buy but the Craftsman is by far the best choice here. The Ingersoll has 18.1 CFM from a single stage pump and 5 HP??? I don't believe it and when I get back by the Northern store I will stop in and check that thing because I am willing to bet that is "tank assisted CFM" and the real(SCFM) output will be only about 11-12 CFM! The Craftsman at least is providing believable numbers and that SCFM spec they have is very impressive for a compressor in that price range and should be all the air you will need unless you try to run multiple tools at the same time, it will run that DA sander with NO problem Normally I would recommend an Ingersoll over a Craftsman because of quality difference but in this case the Ingersoll is just not in the same performance class as the Craftsman in spite of their stated(most likely phony numbers) I have no way of knowing but I have dealt with, and recommended, Ingersoll for years and I can not believe they would resort to this kind of nonsense so I think it is the retailer who is providing this mis-leading info but whoever is responsible DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!

I didn't mean to make it sound as if the Craftsman is poor quality, it is more than just adequate for home and small shop use and should last a long time, it is just that Ingersoll Rand compressors, most of them anyway, are designed for heavy commercial use. That Craftsman should hold up just fine and you will probably use it for many years.

Last edited by oldred; 10-15-2005 at 09:03 AM.