2 compressors, which should i get? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 08:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

X711, There was a thread here recently about water in air lines that pretty well covers the basics of removing water from compressed air. It really does not surprise me that you had very little water in your air considering the conditions mentioned and the fact that you only sprayed some primer over a 3 hr period. Usually water is not much of a problem with moderate use unless the air is really humid but if you tried to use something like a sandblaster on a hot humid day with the set-up you have described you would run into big problems. The purpose of locating the separator(dryer) a good distance from the tank is to use the pipe as a cooler that is why it's best to use metal line for this but if this is not possible, which in many cases it's not, then a cooler of some type is sometimes used. The bottom line is that in conditions of high humidity(common summer time weather) hot air from the tank is loaded with moisture in the form of water vapor and this air must be cooled to a point where that vapor is condensed into liquid water before it is passed through the separator or it will pass on into the lines and condense there as the air continues to cool. If all you notice is water droplets on a tool such as a DA sander then that will not be much of a problem but when a bunch of water drops hit that $300 a gallon paint then the importance of a properly set-up plumbing system becomes all to apparent. As for my set-up I only paint as a hobby but I have installed air systems as part of my welding business for over 30 years.

BTW whatever you use to dry the air I would still strongly recommend a disposable in-line filter when painting just to be sure.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 12:10 AM
X711

Last photo:

Ah I see and I do believe you are very correct in the parts about
humidity in the summer time. Very good points.

I will add a inline filter close to gun just to be on the safe side.

Thanks... X
Old 11-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Bugs

What not to buy

I wish I had seen this thead earlier, My son and I bought a commpressor, it was a 60 gal. 6hp 220V, it was a good compressor, it would put out enough air to run my sand blaster non stop if I wanted to push it, BUT , it has a V-twin pump on it, one of the oilless type compressors, you could look up under the plastic cover on it and see the bottom of the pistons,cylinder walls and the rods, it has sealed bearings on the rods and the wrist pins,

I turned it on one day and heard a weird noise and seen a puff of dust come out of it, I didn't think much of it at the time but from that day on I noticed it was takeing longer than normal to build up air pessure and shut off and I would run out of air very quickly when doing any sand blasting,

It was out of warrenty by this time , I put a new filter in it but that didn't help a bit, I took the plastic cover off of it and looked at the bottom of the pistons and noticed a lot of scareing and scratches on the cylinder walls, so I took it apart, the pistons on this thing are only like an inch tall, they have a neopreme(sp?) ring on them instead of a steel one and the rings on both pistons were worn down the metal on the pistons

What had happened is ,I have a lot of those wasp called Mud Dobbers around here and they had built their nest up under it on the cylinder walls,it had been a while between uses giveing them the time to build their nest, their nest being made of dirt and sand ate the rings right up on it when I turned it on, this was the noise and the puff of dust I had seen earlier, I looked and parts of the nest were laying on the floor under it,

This a poor design if you asked me, I wrote to the company that made the commpressor and complained about it but I never heard a thing from them, I also asked for a parts list so I could rebuild it , they have yet to send me that either,I bought a new smaller compressor with a twin cylinder that is sealed completely up, the old fashion kind that you have to put oil in ,so if any of you have this type of compressor here is a tip for you,

You might want to take some small mesh screen and put it around the top of the compressor, like window screen, and tape it along the bottom of the tank to keep these wasp out, it is a shame that a tiny wasp can destroy a $600.00 machine but they can, I hope this helps some of you

This is a Charge Air Pro, Made by the Devilbiss Air Power Co. by the way
Old 11-01-2005, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Bugs, I have seen those dang things destroy good equipment before and not long ago I lost a variable displacement hydraulic pump that cost nearly $1500 plus a whole day of labor because one had built it's mud nest inside either the pump or the line. I know this is what happened because we found parts of the little critters inside. I have found this problem sevral times and cleaned it out before anything bad happened but that time I missed it. You have brought up a very good point here that IMO should have been a new thread because this happens so often and is overlooked so much.

Thanks for the heads up you just may have saved someone a lot of money and headaches
Old 11-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Bugs

I will move this to it's own thread oldred, hopefully it will save someone a lot of greif that could have been avoided, I know you can't lay down any air tools around here the damn things will build a nest in them in a very short time
Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 PM
a newbie all dressed up

My wife works at Lowes and I got one of the 80 gal 7.5 hp in my garage. It workes fine and keeps up with all my tools. The other good thing is that Lowes is like Walmart. They WILL take anything back.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Bugs

I looked at the Kolbalt 80 gallon, compressors in Lowes last night, I sure did like it,and they are priced very good too,I wonder if they'ed take the small one I bought there in on trade for one Just kidding, I like my 20gal,5hp,alright,like I said though as soon as I get my shop done I think I will plumb it on top of the 60gallon tank I have that's under the compressor that the mud dobbers ruined, then I will have more air volume for my sand blaster,and what ever(if my future son-in-law ever returns it)
Old 11-13-2005, 10:27 AM

I wouldn't get a craftsman comp. Me and my fam. has 3 oil less 2 25 gal, and a 60 gal. I just bought the 60 Gal 6 months ago have not used it that much but my brothers 4 years old used normal and grandpa's hardly used comp. make noises. Dad's old old old campbell used all the time! paint, DA, impact..... still going strong!

My vote will have to be Campbell Hausfeld, wait and save some more money.
Don't be like me and impatient and end up with a junk comp. Home depot has husky comp that are made by CH:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...10092250-husky

Offers 175 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 15.1/13.7 SCFM @ 90/175 PSI.

$869.00
Old 11-13-2005, 12:30 PM

Well, I decided to go with the IR compressor. It arrived a few days ago and I have been using a DA sander with no problems. I noticed water in the lines, so I am going to read up on the solution on these forums before I use my spray gun.

Thanks again for everyones help. I am sure I will need more later.

-Josh
Old 11-13-2005, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

Toy, Ingersoll Rand You did well and I am sure the water problem will be easy to solve.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.