Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   2 compressors, which should i get? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/2-compressors-should-i-get-71745.html)

toykilla 10-09-2005 02:52 PM

2 compressors, which should i get?

I am leaning towards the Craftsman since it is new. I also have a 180$ gift cert to Sears. Suggestions?

130 PSI;
14 CFM @ 40 PSI;
13 CFM @ 90 PSI;
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=59599
slightly use: $339

150 PSI;
12.4 CFM @ 40 PSI;
10.2 CFM @ 90 PSI;
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00918419000
on sale: $479

bracketeer 10-09-2005 03:13 PM

Both receivers are the same size. They are basically the same HP. The Harbor freight one has more CFM and is cheaper. I would go with that one.

oldred 10-09-2005 07:12 PM

Definitely go with the HF because of the better performance. Those Craftsman compressors are no better quality wise than the US General. Normally I will tell anyone to not waste their money on "cheapie" compressors but I have to admit that is a darn good price and if you are on a tight budget I don't see how you can go wrong for that kind of money since both outfits are about the same anyway. :)

Kevin45 10-10-2005 02:16 AM

Neither. Save some more money and get a two stage compressor. Both of the compressors shown are single stage units. More work, more heat, more moisture, more noise, more run time.

oldred 10-10-2005 06:43 AM

Kevin, That's the best advice by far, no doubt it. My point is if, and only if, someone is on a tight budget and limited to something in that price range then for that kind of money he can't get burned very bad and the thing will work for a while anyway.

Toy-Look at both outfits and consider, Neither is a high quality unit meant to last for years, Both are LYING about their specs with those phony "peak" HP numbers since regardless of what they claim both will produce only about 3 1/2 to 4 HP. Kevin has already pointed out the other MAJOR flaws to these units so unless you are willing to accept the limitations of both compressors(you did not say the intended use) and are truly limited to this price range then you would be better off with a good two stage unit if you need this thing for more than occasional use.

toykilla 10-11-2005 06:28 AM

Can you suggest a better unit. I would like to stay under 700$. I plan on using it mostly for painting (HVLP) and some air tools (disc sander, impact wrench, etc..)

oldred 10-11-2005 09:01 AM

Toy, Even the biggest model you mentioned is marginal for an air grinder or HVLP paint gun and a DA sander would work it to death. I noticed where someone in the body forum bought a Kobalt from Lowes for less than $720 that is a two stage with about 17.5 CFM@90 psi which is not bad for that kind of money. Kobalt is not a top of the line outfit but that is not a top of the line price either so if you can afford the extra cash something like that would be a lot better. I like to steer everyone away from the Campbell Hausfeld type compressors(a lot of the brands out there are really C/H)because the quality is questionable as are the performance numbers but I realize not everyone can afford something like an Ingersoll Rand or Quincy. You might want to check out Eaton because they are some of the best out there and although not cheap they are not all that expensive either. Something else you might want to consider besides performance is that with the big names like the ones I mentioned you will only have to buy once, at least for a long time, since if you take care of it they can just about last a life time. I have a buddy that has a Quincy he has used for over thirty years and this is regular use too not just every now and then. This is a gas powered unit and he has replaced the engine a couple of times but that dang pump, to my knowledge, has never had anything done except for regular maintenance so if you can spring for one of the pro outfits it will be cheaper and a LOT less trouble in the long run. :)

zimaad 10-11-2005 09:18 AM

For what it's worth, I looked into the HF compressors too and relentlessly tried to find out where they really come from. I realize they aren't 2-stage and the lifelong compressor of everyones dreams, but not too bad for someone who wants some air and doesn't have $700+ to spend. Check out this web page for more info. They are the same thing as the HF models...so is the more expensive 60gal Kobalt model (high output) at Lowes. Also, I don't know if you have a HF in your area, but my local store had that compressor at a normal price NEW at $390, which was worth $70 in my mind over rebuilt models. If you have the money to buy a 2-stage, go for it, if not....just get what you can. I'm on a budget right now, so a 2-stage wasn't in the cards for me...by the time I wire up the 220 to my garage and get the compressor, it's getting expensive. When I'm in a better financial situation in the future, I'll buy the tools of my dreams.

-Drew

http://www.abacamerican.com/

toykilla 10-12-2005 06:54 AM

Another question which may be a dumb one. Can i use this with my 230v dryer outlet? I dont see why not, but i want to make sure. I am in a rental home right now and not sure if i could add a 230v line.

oldred 10-12-2005 10:23 AM

The dryer outlet should be no problem just compare the AMP rating on the compressor motor and the breaker that the dryer is hooked to and make sure it (the breaker) is rated for at least as much as the motor, I bet it will be higher which is good, then all you will need is to install the proper plug on the compressor wire so you can plug it in. Now make SURE you wire up the plug right, if you are not sure how to do this then get some help from someone who is qualified to wire this right. :)

Also I assume you plan to unplug the dryer and plug in the compressor and not wire them both up together, DO NOT attempt to run the dryer and compressor on the same breaker at the same time.

zimaad 10-12-2005 11:46 AM

The HF unit is 15 amp and the Sears unit likely is also. Both should work fine on a dryer outlet.

OneMoreTime 10-12-2005 12:58 PM

HF Compressor

I have been looking at that HF compressor..while it is not up to the demands of a "regulation body shop" It may be just fine for the guy who is doing the hobby deal at home..It is a bit lite to pull a DA tho..

And lets face it for us "older guys" with our bad backs and arthritis taking a break while the compressor catches up is not all bad at all.. :sweat: :boxing:

OMT

oldred 10-12-2005 04:08 PM

Harbor Freight also carries two of the Puma models, while both of these are only single stage they are well built outfits and Puma has a good reputation for quality. Item no.3487-ivga is rated at 11.9 CFM@90 PSI with a true 3 HP motor and a 60 gal tank-115 PSI max--$499.99. These numbers are not all that impressive(they are good for a single stage outfit)but the real plus here is that Puma builds a very good compressor for the price and that kind of performance is not bad for that kind of money. The other model is the same outfit except for a 30 gal tank which would make for a very high cycle rate if you use high volume tools, it would however keep up the same and is $70 cheaper but I would recommend the bigger tank to avoid excessive start up cycles if you plan to use body tools. Also I noticed when I checked the web site to get the item no. that the power rating on the smaller unit is listed as 6 HP rated--this is a typo as both units are the same and the 6 HP rating is the phony "peak" HP number.

toykilla 10-12-2005 05:42 PM

One thing to mention is i will not be using this heavily. At most i expect to use it 2-3 times a month on the weekends.

I wish i could drop 1500 on a top end two stage unit. Is there nothing in between the 500 and 1000 range? Its either cheap and doesnt do what i need, or overly expensive and more than i need.

zimaad 10-12-2005 08:36 PM

Well, I don't think a compressor can really do "more" than you need!!! I just purchased the HF one recently. I'd have loved to get a 2-stage, but didn't have the $$$. The main way to get get a good 2-stage in your price range is to buy used. I know that Home Depot has a 2-stage for around $750-800 that flows a little more than the single stages we are talking about and at a higher PSI too. For about $800, you can get an IR single stage unit from Northern that flows about 17-18 CFM at 90psi. Online at Tractor Supply, it lists the same thing for slightly cheaper but with an 80gal tank instead of the 60 at northern. The 2-stage version is a few hundred more at a little over $1k. You can also keep an eye out in papers for local auctions/body shops closing down. I saw two 120gal 25+CFM models (one IR and one Snap-On) go for about $1000 each when a local body shop was closing down. It would have been great to get one...just out of my budget for now. I've also seen some good compressors go on ebay for good deals. Anyways...best of luck. So far, I've been happy with my HF single stage unit. I haven't use a DA sander yet, but I figure this unit will be ok for me for a number of years.