2 Different heads on same motor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2 Different heads on same motor?

I just received my 350 engine today and noticed that they have two differnt head casting numbers on it.
14096219 and 14102191
I did a little research and found out the 219 head has 1.94/1.50 64 cc and found conflicting info on the 191 heads, I found one place saying 1.84/1.50 76cc heads and other saying 1.94/1.50 64cc heads, please help this is a 350ci 88 motor and will be going into a boat.. MAYBE... can I run both of these heads with no problem?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Top notch hack

Last photo:

With the cost of SBC heads being so low I would definitely find a matching pair. I'm sure you could find a decent set on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks or less. Better than finding out it doesn't run right when its all together. A little searching and you could probably just find a match to one of your existing heads.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambigperm View Post
With the cost of SBC heads being so low I would definitely find a matching pair. I'm sure you could find a decent set on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks or less. Better than finding out it doesn't run right when its all together. A little searching and you could probably just find a match to one of your existing heads.

I agree, I ordered this engine so I feel I shouldnt have to pay any more money to have this probem fixed, I will contact the vendor and have them correct the problem, but if they are the same match as far as CC and valve size gos, but just with different casting numbers, I dont want to go thru the trouble of taking the heads off and sending them back to the vendor since they already came instaled on the engine..
Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

Most likely the were machined to work. A vendor is not going to send that out the door. You have a warranty Right? They try not to make problems that easy of a fix before the build.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM

This is fairly common with high volume rebuilders. As long as the chambers are the same CC and the valve size is the same most people will never know, Doesn't mean that it is right. Truth is on a stock rebuild most folks would never know if one head has 1.72's and the other has 1.94's. When a dollar bill gets involved there's damn few people I trust anymore.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM

I made a mistake on the casting numbers... its a 7 not a 9, not 14096219 should be 14096217 casting and the other is correct 14102191, so I have casting number 14096217 and 14102191, as far as I can tell they have the same CC and valve sizes unless anyone knows different I am going to run it the way it is.....thanks for the comments
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM

boat engines are under heavy load compared to car engines. I would use nothing other than a premium engine in a boat.Cars are easier to get a tow truck when they break down.Its a long walk from the middle of a big lake
Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Do a google search and you will find the difference between those two different heads.

One is a L-98 replacement {replaces the "083" TPI head) (also used on the older 350-285HP and 350-300HP crate motors, and marine 350's). The other is a swirl port head. For a TBI truck 350. Call the builder. The right head for your marine motor is the 217 head.

The swirl port head has a swirl vane in the intake port and a bump right at the pushrod pinch instead of a radius shaped port wall.
Induces swirl and turbulence for Low rpm truck motors.

Each has its purpose but they are not the same.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
boat engines are under heavy load compared to car engines. I would use nothing other than a premium engine in a boat.Cars are easier to get a tow truck when they break down.Its a long walk from the middle of a big lake
you haven't pulled many boat 350 apart have you.. there is nothing "premium" about them..
Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 PM

gearheadslife
read what I posted.the pronoun "I" is there for a reason."I" have high standards.
gearheadslife

how about you? do you make your rides with quality parts?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
gearheadslife
read what I posted.the pronoun "I" is there for a reason."I" have high standards.
gearheadslife

how about you? do you make your rides with quality parts?
yes I do..
but after pulling many chevy sb's out of boats and open'n them up..
there is nothing remotely special about them..
unless you call cast cranks, cast pistons, special..
Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 AM

um im familiar with mercruiser marine engines. they use different material for the crank shaft than automotive engines. that is a fact. also tha camshafts are CLOSE to stock truck cams. again im familiar with mercruiser engines. the blocks are also using materials that are more resistant to corrosion. .maybe you can put a automotive engine from a car and have it run in your boat if you know its quirks, but marine does use premium stuff to some degree. maybe not for performance but there is a degree of premium there.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
um im familiar with mercruiser marine engines. they use different material for the crank shaft than automotive engines. that is a fact. also tha camshafts are CLOSE to stock truck cams. again im familiar with mercruiser engines. the blocks are also using materials that are more resistant to corrosion. .maybe you can put a automotive engine from a car and have it run in your boat if you know its quirks, but marine does use premium stuff to some degree. maybe not for performance but there is a degree of premium there.
ya more nickle in the iron block,,
same cast crank(same casting # as my 350 car crank), same rods, same cast or in later years hyper pistons
same heads,
I'd have to look but I think the 96 we just replaced in my dads boat was 2 bolt mains..
other than the fuel system having 2 fuel pumps, the tbi was standard affair.. the distributor cap was different and the reluctor wheel..
exhaust manifolds,
standard sbc stuff.. oh, no air cleaner, just an alum fire stop.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
ya more nickle in the iron block,,
same cast crank(same casting # as my 350 car crank), same rods, same cast or in later years hyper pistons
same heads,
I'd have to look but I think the 96 we just replaced in my dads boat was 2 bolt mains..
other than the fuel system having 2 fuel pumps, the tbi was standard affair.. the distributor cap was different and the reluctor wheel..
exhaust manifolds,
standard sbc stuff.. oh, no air cleaner, just an alum fire stop.
not steppin on toes, everything on this post is true. there is minor differences tho. SOME of the early 80's heads had different material for valve seats. the late 80's through mid 90's cranks were steel. casting numbers cant possibly match automotive unless it was replaced. cast cranks may hold up but mercruiser wasnt taking any chances.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

ok.. and the new engine we just installed straight from merc. was cast crank..
it was in a alfa drive inboard/outboard boat

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.