2 pack over acrylic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 06:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

2 pack over acrylic

I stray over here every now and then from my windsurfing forums as I make sailboards which involves working with epoxy fibre glass, carbon fibre,filling, lots of sanding and spray painting. At the moment I spray my boards with a white 2 pack polyurethaine paint and decorate them by applying vinyl cut graphics (as I have a vinylcutter machine). But I would like to spray graphics with acrylic (car paint) then spray a clear 2 pack over the top as the acrylic scratches off too easily.
So here's my questions.
Can I spray 2 pack over acrylic?
Can I spray it straight over or do I need to prepare the acrylic before spraying the 2 pack on it?
Regards
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
I think you are out of step a bit. "Acrylic" is old technology and most everything (yeah I know a lot is based on acrylic tech) is urethane, polyurethane and even polyester. So your "two pack" is basically automotive paint anyway.

The typical base coat system is yes, based on the acrylic technology but it is usually "called" a "Urethane basecoat/clearcoat" system. What you may be thinking of is the old "acrylic lacquer" or "acrylic enamel", these are yesterdays technologies and are not used much in auto repair these days.

To answer your question directly, I do believe any basecoat used in automotive repair could be used under your polyurethane clear. I am sure you will get a response from Barry our resident expert on polyurethane clears and maybe he can shed more light.

I believe I have seen board makers do exactly as I have discribed (Base coat clear coat) on boards TV.

Brian
Old 06-26-2005, 07:54 AM

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your reply, I went and had a look on the cans and the coloured paint is called Acrylic Laquer and the 2 pack can only has that it is a 2 pack top coat Acrylic finish I just assumed it was polyurethane. I'm still unclear if I have to prepare the coloured "acrylic laquer" before I spray over it with the clear?
Barry?
Regards
Mike
Old 06-26-2005, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Laquer isn't a very durable product, it's use on automobiles mostly stopped in the late 80's/early 90's. Some urethane clears were designed for use over laquer but I haven't seen any lately. You might be able to apply some clear laquer over your surface then sand with 600 and then clear with a urethane. Adhesion would probably be Ok if the laquer is good and dry, and sanded well before applying the urethane.

Your best bet would be to stop using all laquer products. Use urethane primer surfacers and a urethane Basecoat Clearcoat system from now on. Durability will be way, way, better.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

For graphics find yourself a good BC/CC automotive paint system, you can do all of your graphics in basecoat colors then apply the urethane clear. Spraying the basecoat is similar to spraying the acrylic laquer you've been using, spraying the urethane clear is similar to the white polyurethane 2pack paint you've been using. Contact SPI (Southern Polyurethanes Inc.) if you'd like to save a few $$ and use quality primers and clears. Do a search on SPI or contact BarryK.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:15 PM

Thanks for your advice baddbob, As I'm down under in Australia I'll source out a Urethane paint system here. Sounds like urethane clear will be as durable as the 2 pack I am using.
Thanks again
Mike
Old 06-26-2005, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejuice
Hi Brian,
Thanks for your reply, I went and had a look on the cans and the coloured paint is called Acrylic Laquer and the 2 pack can only has that it is a 2 pack top coat Acrylic finish I just assumed it was polyurethane. I'm still unclear if I have to prepare the coloured "acrylic laquer" before I spray over it with the clear?
Barry?
Regards
Mike

Mike,
Was not ignoring you as just did not see this.
Both Martin and Bob have it right.

For your statement "should be as good"
NO, it will be much better!
Barry
Old 06-27-2005, 12:22 AM

Thanks Barry, sounds good thanks for your positive comment.
Regards
Mike
Old 06-29-2005, 02:52 AM

Me again,
I went to 3 Auto paint supply shops and I'm stuck in the dark ages here in little old Perth. All the single pack paints are Acrylic or Enamel. No urethane to be found around here!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:19 AM

Last photo:

Look for ICI paints.

There is a big jobber with a store in New Zealand and a couple of stores in Australia, I'm on the road and don't have his card or remember his name but maybe he is close to you??

Also look for DEBEER paints.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.