Hot Rod Forum banner

2 piece rear main seal

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Brian Morency 
#1 ·
ok i posted this question before but im not very sure about the answers i got. for a 2 piece rear main seal i was told i would have to pull the motor and for a 1 piece drop the trans? i called a place about doing the work for me its a 2 piece and they wanted $600 to do the work and they would have to pull the motor they said. i just recently found a web site that has step by step instructions and pictures on changeing a 2 piece rear main seal. and the guy didnt pull the motor or drop the trans is this possable to be done??? the web site is www.pavementsucks.com it says 318/360 rear main seal replacement. i found it on a search engine on google.com i just typed in (how to change a 2 piece rear main seal) and one of the things that came up was pavementsucks.com and it looks like good info to me. but im not sure??? it says the time it should take is 5-6 hours with clean up.

#4 ·
I did a 2 pc rear main on a Ford 302 in a '65 T-Bird once, using a kit from NAPA. The pan/crossmember configuration was a tough one, had to jack the motor up quite a bit. The kit included a wire tool to pull the seal around the top of the crank after dropping it slightly, just as in the link you provided. It wasn't fun but it worked, very cramped and some pan bolts were hard to access. Took the better part of a day, but was working outside in foul weather taking several 'anger management breaks'.

#5 ·
Swapping the seal with the engine in the car just sounds like way more work than it's worth. At least in most GM applications with power steering, you're bound to run into some issues with interfering components such as power steering rams and valves, just to name one example. And those pan bolts are hard enough to get to with the engine out of the car...

All it takes is a cherry picker, a pickle fork and assorted wrenches and you're in business. After having pulled my motor 2-3 times I had it down to a <3 hour operation. It may seem like a lot of work at first, but give yourself ample space and a full day of time and you're bound to learn something and save yourself some frustration. Just remember, anything attached from the motor to the car must be disconnected. Sometimes it helps to label stuff with masking tape labels also. If you have a digital camera, have someone take pictures as you go so you can see how stuff hooks back up, like plug wires, carb vacuum lines, etc.

Don't be afraid to get greasy, and good luck

tbw

#7 ·
the motor is a 79 monte carlo 350 inside of a 84 camaro. the motor was recently put in there so the bolts are not rusted on or anything like that. thanx for everyones help. im pretty sure i can get this oil pan out with only alittle bit of strugling.

the motor is a 79 monte carlo 350 inside of a 84 camaro. the motor was recently put in there so the bolts are not rusted on or anything like that. thanx for everyones help. im pretty sure i can get this oil pan out with only alittle bit of strugling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.