Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 2 Streetbeasts lawsuits dropped! Just 1 left
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

2 Streetbeasts lawsuits dropped! Just 1 left

This past month, another frivolous lawsuit filed against me by Streetbeasts or its owner, George Levin, has been dismissed. As many of you already know, I was sued over an article in our wiki that reveals the connection between Streetbeasts, a kit car company, and Classic Motor Carriages, who pleaded guilty to Federal wire fraud charges for defrauding purchasers of kit cars. These are classic SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) suits -- meritless lawsuits that attack free speech by attempting to silence people by burdening them with legal costs.

Out of 3 total lawsuits that Streetbeasts and its owner had initially filed against me, 2 have now been dismissed (1 in Florida, and 1 in Colorado). 1 Florida lawsuit remains. Despite the threat of takedown, our wiki article remains online.

Interestingly, the owner of Streetbeasts, George Levin, has recently been in the press quite a bit, in association with a $1.2 billion dollar Florida Ponzi scheme perpetrated by Scott Rothstein, who is being called the "Mini-Madoff". Press reports indicate that George Levin, through various investment companies, allegedly lured people into investing hundreds of millions of dollars into the fraudulent Ponzi scheme. After being named as a defendant in a lawsuit that alleges he was a co-conspirator of Rothstein, Mr. Levin has agreed to surrender the bulk of his assets under a bankruptcy settlement. For more details, see this article from Law.com: Hedge Fund Owner in Rothstein Case Agrees to Surrender Bulk of Assets, or this article from the Wall Street Journal: Rothstein Feeder Fund Agrees to Surrender Assets. We don't know what this will mean for Streetbeasts, or, more importantly, for those who have purchased kit cars from them.

It's been a long fight, but -- we're winning. And not only are we winning, but some very interesting things are coming to light about Streetbeasts and its owner. I wanted to thank everyone who has donated to the lawsuit fund; you can identify all donors on our donor thank-you page, or by the "Streetbeasts lawsuit donor" text accompanying their username. It's one thing to say that you "support" free speech, and it's another to, quite literally, put your money where your mouth is.

If you want to donate to the fund, the best way to do it is to click here to make a donation via PayPal. Thanks again everyone -- takedowns happen all the time online, but, so far, they haven't happened here, and it's largely due to the support we've had from numerous forum members and businesses in the industry.