Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   2 Streetbeasts lawsuits dropped! Just 1 left (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/2-streetbeasts-lawsuits-dropped-just-1-left-185546.html)

Jon 10-05-2010 12:15 PM

2 Streetbeasts lawsuits dropped! Just 1 left

This past month, another frivolous lawsuit filed against me by Streetbeasts or its owner, George Levin, has been dismissed. As many of you already know, I was sued over an article in our wiki that reveals the connection between Streetbeasts, a kit car company, and Classic Motor Carriages, who pleaded guilty to Federal wire fraud charges for defrauding purchasers of kit cars. These are classic SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) suits -- meritless lawsuits that attack free speech by attempting to silence people by burdening them with legal costs.

Out of 3 total lawsuits that Streetbeasts and its owner had initially filed against me, 2 have now been dismissed (1 in Florida, and 1 in Colorado). 1 Florida lawsuit remains. Despite the threat of takedown, our wiki article remains online.

Interestingly, the owner of Streetbeasts, George Levin, has recently been in the press quite a bit, in association with a $1.2 billion dollar Florida Ponzi scheme perpetrated by Scott Rothstein, who is being called the "Mini-Madoff". Press reports indicate that George Levin, through various investment companies, allegedly lured people into investing hundreds of millions of dollars into the fraudulent Ponzi scheme. After being named as a defendant in a lawsuit that alleges he was a co-conspirator of Rothstein, Mr. Levin has agreed to surrender the bulk of his assets under a bankruptcy settlement. For more details, see this article from Law.com: Hedge Fund Owner in Rothstein Case Agrees to Surrender Bulk of Assets, or this article from the Wall Street Journal: Rothstein Feeder Fund Agrees to Surrender Assets. We don't know what this will mean for Streetbeasts, or, more importantly, for those who have purchased kit cars from them.

It's been a long fight, but -- we're winning. And not only are we winning, but some very interesting things are coming to light about Streetbeasts and its owner. I wanted to thank everyone who has donated to the lawsuit fund; you can identify all donors on our donor thank-you page, or by the "Streetbeasts lawsuit donor" text accompanying their username. It's one thing to say that you "support" free speech, and it's another to, quite literally, put your money where your mouth is.

If you want to donate to the fund, the best way to do it is to click here to make a donation via PayPal. Thanks again everyone -- takedowns happen all the time online, but, so far, they haven't happened here, and it's largely due to the support we've had from numerous forum members and businesses in the industry.

cobalt327 10-05-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon
This past month, another frivolous lawsuit filed against me by Streetbeasts or its owner, George Levin, has been dismissed. *SNIP* Thanks again everyone -- takedowns happen all the time online, but, so far, they haven't happened here, and it's largely due to the support we've had from numerous forum members and businesses in the industry.

You deserve the credit for taking on these thugs, IMO. Of course it couldn't have happened w/o the generous past and future donations from the membership here.

Congratulations and good job, Jon! One more to go...

dinger 10-05-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327
You deserve the credit for taking on these thugs, IMO. Of course it couldn't have happened w/o the generous past and future donations from the membership here.

Congratulations and good job, Jon! One more to go...

Agreed! I couldn't have said it better so I'll let you do that. :thumbup:

MARTINSR 10-05-2010 02:36 PM

It is nice when some PIECE OF CHEAT* like him gets what he deserves!

Brian

*Comments made by Brian Martin are his personal opinions and not supported or endorced by Jon, Hotrodders.com or any of it's associates.

willys36@aol.com 10-05-2010 04:05 PM

Looking good. Nice to see the bad guys lose one. Hurts my heart to see a pre-war Willys involved in a seedy thing like this but they will overcome. Can you apply for some of his bankruptcy funds to pay your court costs?

302 Z28 10-05-2010 04:29 PM

Great news Jon :thumbup:

Vince

adantessr 10-05-2010 05:38 PM

Great going Jon . Now that I know what it is about I just made a donation . Allan

58Apache 10-06-2010 05:22 AM

Donation

I just contributed last night.

Duntov 10-06-2010 05:52 AM

The Free Speech banner is what attracted me to this forum!

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I know the above is an American ideal, but only a US law, however; if Hotrodders supports it as it is written, at least the underlined part, I will be a more staunch supporter in the future than I have been in the past.

The moderation of Free speech is analogous to "political correctness",<<an atheistic concept,<> which is destroying the Greatest Nation on the earth.

It can slip in anywhere.... Will someone clarify?

Sincere congratulations Jon

cboy 10-06-2010 08:00 AM

This is great news, Jon. And my hat is off to you for your willingness to stand up to wealthy and powerful forces whose goal was to choke off the free exchange of information and opinion within our hot rodding community...both on the wiki and here on HR.Com.

My hat is also off to all of you who have contributed to help defer the hefty legal expenses required to take on a guy like George Levin. Lawyers don't come cheap...on either side of an issue. And I know for a fact that Jon's legal bills have been far and above what has been raised up to this point here on the site. He has gone to bat for us, to protect OUR rights to have a free and unfettered conversation about Streetbeast...and all other things rod related. And in my opinion, we need to continue going to bat for Jon, with our support and our wallets.

Let's fight this thing right down to the end...until we have seen the last of George Levin and his kind.

123pugsy 10-06-2010 10:52 AM

Great to hear Jon. :thumbup:

Keep up the good fight.

Thanks,
Pugsy

NEW INTERIORS 10-06-2010 08:34 PM

Great news Jon !!!!! :thumbup: And thanks for not giving up on us here at Hotrodders.com.. :thumbup:

JGK95 10-06-2010 09:39 PM

Jon,

I'm still uncertain as to how a scam artist who's company he ran into the ground is capable of suing you?

Hopefully the surrender included Streetbeasts so that a reputable party can buy them up and open up shop using all of the former employees. They are good people with a good product who were ran out by that *(*#(# George Levin.

Only Racing 10-07-2010 08:41 AM

Congratulations Jon, you went to bat for owners of a bad product only informing them and lawyers stepped in to stifle the users and possible future purchaser's of the product which is obviously flawed and the business side more or less not par for the consumer of the product.

I would surely rather know now, than find out later if I was to take on a project like building a scratch car from a company without the skills needed to "repair" such said product.

My offer still stands as to help this fund in a large way, Jon I think you know the details and plese feel free to give it the go ahead and it's done with the calendars for HR.com

Jon 10-07-2010 11:10 AM

Thanks guys -- and thanks new donors 58Apache and adantessr :). I don't know if we'll be able to recoup legal fees from any potential George Levin bankruptcy. By my understanding, the bankruptcy agreement on the table is being protested. More details are at this article: Chorus of Bankruptcy Lawyers, Investors Protest Rothstein Agreements. Here's an interesting quote:

Quote:

Under Levin's settlement, he would turn over 85 percent of his assets, estimated at $100 million to $200 million, after the first $5 million, which goes directly to the trustee. Levin also would get to keep his Fort Lauderdale house, $750,000 in personal property and $60,000 a month in living expenses.
Only Racing -- yes, let's do it. Perfect time of the year to get started on some calendars too. Thanks. Looking forward down the line, I'd also like to get another t-shirt design contest going, if people are interested.