$2 wiring harness cover - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 09:53 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

$2 wiring harness cover

Over this winter I've been trying to clean up the engine compartment on my '32 pickup. One of the problems I faced was an ugly stock Ford wiring harness, with all it's wires and plug ends, dangling out there on my firewall. You can see the harness just to the right of the ignition module in the first photo below. In this photo the plugs and wires have been collected together and taped up to conserve space - but they are still just an ugly wad.

The second photo shows my $2.00 solution. It's a mini sized bread baking pan (from any Wal Mart or kitchen section) which I simply notched for the wires to enter and exit, drilled mounting holes, and then powder coated with Eastwood's reflective chrome.

I must admit I stole the idea of using hot rod kitchen ware from a good buddy of mine, Jerry West, who owns a 28/29 3 window coupe. My wife and I caught him last year at Wal Mart buying a cake pan - only to find out later he was using the pan to build an indentation on his firewall to fit around the distributor of his BBC. So I call this the official "Jerry West Pro Street High Performance Wiring Harness Cover" (coming soon to a Jeggs near you.)

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

$2 wiring harness cover

Great use of the cake pan cboy. There is lots of stuff in the kitchen section that can be used on a rod. Look at all the different shapes the metal pans and bowls come in as well as the cake tins and cooking pots and pans which all lend themselves to creative thinking. The curved funnel like insert in an angel food cake pan is one example. Cut in half, make lips on the cut ends that will fit under a thin u bracket on the firewall and slide it over the bracket and use it as a cover like you used your cake pan. Take a walk through a junk shop and look for interesting brass and metal shapes. They're everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2006, 01:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

That is too cool, Cboy. One time I had to put a gas tank filler neck in thru the trunk floor of a 34 ford. I made a slosh pan for it out of a stainless mixing bowl from K-Mart. I think it cost 2.98.

This months readers digest has a picture of a guys 66 chevy pickup with 1480 teaspoons riveted all over it. (may 2006, page 78, It's right under the VW Bug made out of wrought iron scrolls and curly-cues).It's not exactly what I would call a resourceful use of kitchen utensils, but what else could a guy do with that many spoons?
mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 04-11-2006 at 01:51 AM. Reason: I live to edit
Old 04-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Thats way cool C-boy. Thats pure Hotrodding...inovation and ingenuity. There are lots of things like that that we can do ourselves that do not cost much money.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

looks really good...looks "factory" installed....cboy

another cheapy I've used to clean up the wires hanging below is a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe, split shape it on the grinder and sanded to conform to the firewall then painted to match the firewall....
looks like you could extend the hidden steering column gasket screw to secure it?

$.50? to see if it looks decent, dang pvc is just so easy to work with
Old 04-11-2006, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

This is sorta related...

I go to garage sales and pick up things like small cake pans and other metal or plastic containers dirt cheap.

The inside is great for mixing small amounts of paint, stain, dye, whatever or can be a small drain pan for setting a leaky small part in - like a power steering pump - so it doesn't run all over the floor.

Then, you can flip them over and use the backs for mixing thick stuff like epoxy.

Lids work great for all sorts of things too.

All of the above are good for collecting parts, although if I have a big project, I'll buy a bunch of those "disposable" plastic containers that are in the sandwich bag section since they have lids that seal tightly.

When done, you can either clean them, or if not practical, just toss 'em.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
another cheapy I've used to clean up the wires hanging below is a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe, split shape it on the grinder and sanded to conform to the firewall then painted to match the firewall....
Have you discovered any similar cheap fix for routing the wiring around a corner that would still retain a nice smooth surface (not a pvc elbo that might stick out like a sore thumb). Actually the wires you see hanging down below the new cover won't actually end up going that direction, they go to the coil and distributer, so I'm looking for a way to cover them all the way from the new cover to the front of the engine. The main problem is I don't want to cut and splice the wires which means I need something, as you suggest, with a split type opening running all the way down the pipe or tubing that would be large enough to allow me to get the wiring inside but yet small enough to it can be hidden from view. The second to main problem is that it needs to make at least one 90 degree angle.

So far I haven't seen or dreamed up anything that would work and look nice (and be cheap). I'm not very fond of that plastic ribbed stuff you can buy for just this sort of application.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

$2 wiring harness cover

cboy, how about taking the ribbed plastic tubing idea and make your own out of a plastic or rubber tubing - fuel line might work. Just split the back and insert your wires and the tubing will return to its original shape. This will bend to give you your 90 degree angle change. Keep the split to the bottom and mount it where needed with nice clips. I have seen plastic tubing in various colors in craft stores. High end garden hose may even work (garage sale item from someone who converted to underground sprinklers). Hopes this gets the creative juices flowing.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

oh, maybe a dozen "cheap" solutions that can look decent....kinda depends on how tight are the 90's? and what "look" you like....industrial?

if bigger 90's are ok, in the pvc section at Lowes there are various wall thicknesses and diameters of clear and tinted smooth wall flexible pvc tubing...paint it?.....really really cheap=split heater hose (yuch)= "rat rod"?

straight split sections of (polished?) 1/2" aluminum electrical conduit and use a pre-bent 90* 1/2" heater bypass hose (split) for the corners, best to mount it at/on the rubber, isolate the aluminum ground = industrial look?

patience? bend all required with a single length 1/2" copper for really tight 90's bends, split it where it won't show with a Dremel tool, sand it, paint it, and DEFINITELY isolate it with plastic/rubber mounts= really smooth look?
hee hee hee....make it "wow!"....solder small copper tube branches for each drop to the termination....whole harness comes off like a tree branch!

get "some" insulation value inside the alum or copper tubing?.....pour and slosh a couple of coats of enamel in it

what motor is it....

Last edited by red65mustang; 04-11-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
That is too cool, Cboy. One time I had to put a gas tank filler neck in thru the trunk floor of a 34 ford. I made a slosh pan for it out of a stainless mixing bowl from K-Mart. I think it cost 2.98.

This months readers digest has a picture of a guys 66 chevy pickup with 1480 teaspoons riveted all over it. (may 2006, page 78, It's right under the VW Bug made out of wrought iron scrolls and curly-cues).It's not exactly what I would call a resourceful use of kitchen utensils, but what else could a guy do with that many spoons?
mikey

More importantly, why would he want to....???????
Old 04-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
More importantly, why would he want to....???????
Maybe he's a little ....eccentric? hahahhaha J/K X.
I don't know why he wanted to, maybe he thought they looked like demented vortex generators.
mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 04-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Maybe he is doing the speed dimple thing, except just inverted...
Old 04-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Last journal entry: Tube front clip
Last photo:

This stuff is awesome!
Old 04-23-2006, 03:28 PM

Last journal entry: Tube front clip
Last photo:

Anyway you could mount all that inside, and just run the wires out through a grommet?

but for a quick fix, that cover looks great too!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:54 PM

mother of invention

A friend of mine needed to recess his fire wall, went to the hardware store and bought a wheel barrow. The pan worked in real nice.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.