20 below & toasty feet - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 10:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

20 below & toasty feet

Anyone using infrared tube heat? Did you mount it down the center, on the side...? I,ve heard when it's 20 below your feet stay nice and toasty.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005, 03:12 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

If you are talking the infared that mounts on the ceiling, it might keep your feet warm if you are standing on your head. To keep the feet toasty you need hot water heat in the concrete that radiates throughout the floor. This is done thru a series of tubing that weaves back and forth. Almost everyone that has it says this is the most efficient type of heating for concrete flooring. Myself I think the most efficient type is moving somewhere that has 82 degree temps, low humidity, and daily sunshine. But that only exist in fairy tales Most of us have the harsh reality ofr either high temperature, high humidity for a couple of months, then freeze your butt off for the other nine. And that is just around the corner.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hauler
Anyone using infrared tube heat? Did you mount it down the center, on the side...? I,ve heard when it's 20 below your feet stay nice and toasty.
I use it in my shop, and yes it works very well and very quite. Also my feet stays warm. Mount it down the center of the bays, it should have a deflector shield above it to deflect the heat down and out. Mine is much more efficient if I leave it set a 60*.In the past I have turned it down every night and it cost me more in heating $$$. Now it stays at 60* all winter. Last winter was a very cold winter, and my shop was nice and warm. Also recovers very quickly after the doors have been open.

Steve
Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

What brand of heater did you end up with? I'm currently finishing up my garage build and am investigating getting a radiant tube heater myself. My shop is 24'x32' and fully insulated. So far I've found many different brands, some (maybe) better than others. Re-verber-ray, Heatstar, and Mr. Heater all have models to choose from. There is also a model from Northern Equipment...
Anyway, in my research, this type of heater seems to be the way to go as far as efficiency...more costly than the forced hot air units, but worth the money.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Mine is a Re-verber-ray, I have had it for aprox 8 years and had NO troubles with it. It is very efficient. Heats my shop very well. 1 small but nice thing about it is you can't hear it when its on.

Steve
Old 08-24-2005, 11:07 PM

Ordered a two stage Re-Verber-Ray from Detroit Radiant today. Near as I can figure they have the best one out there. What I'm hearing is I shouldn't turn down the heat down at night. Coming up on the five months from hell here in the tundra. Sucks.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hauler
Ordered a two stage Re-Verber-Ray from Detroit Radiant today. Near as I can figure they have the best one out there. What I'm hearing is I shouldn't turn down the heat down at night. Coming up on the five months from hell here in the tundra. Sucks.
I leave mine set a 60* all winter long and it stay almost too warm at times, Like I said in the above post it recovers very fast also. I tried turning it down at night and reheat in the morning, only to save money on heat bill,but found it costs less to leave it on all the time. Plus no cold tools in the morning.

Steve
Old 10-09-2005, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

I bought the Re-Verber-Ray two stage for my 24x32 before last heating season. Woks really well, quite and fairly effecient.

m-hauler, if you got the inline thermostat, throw it away and order the electronic one. The inline was junk. I ordered my thermostat from alpinehomeair.com, much cheaper than the supplier.

I have 11'6" ceiling, and mounted the tube on the outside wall.

You can also duct outside air into the heater box. This eleminates the concerns of fires when using flamables like paint.

Dale
Old 10-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Polish or powder coat it!!!!!!

Last photo:

when it hits 20 below i will be sitting in tampa... but at the coldest weather in the shop i use a force air gas heater and at the garage at home it is one of them package deals that i got from a place in ohio he brought it over on a flat bed trailer.. i got a oil filled heater that keeps the chill out...

Garage is only 12 x 18 shop is
Old 10-27-2005, 07:27 AM
The Big Money

Last journal entry: New Air Line Part 2
Last photo:

I'm using a propane heater to heat my shop (45x18) It works pretty good for me when I'm down there and propane is cheap
Old 10-27-2005, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

have a small (2 burner) propane heater. Keeps the Gagage about 70...........on both days of winter

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.