Hot Rod Forum banner

200 4r

4K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  wojo66 
#1 ·
Hi. I had some big ideas about swapping the turbo 350 in my Nova for a 700 R-4. I knew it was a little longer and some mods to be made. But I have been advised by more than one person to no go there.

Instead try the 200 4R. 2004R, 2004R Transmission, High Performance 2004R, 2004R Monster Transmission, 200-4R Transmission Heavy Duty Performance

I really like Monster Transmissions, they have been nice people and they build some excellent transmissions. The 200 4 R is more expensive than 700 R-4. Do you all think that it would be a bolt up swap in my 62 Nova, allowing the use of the stock trans cross member?

#6 ·
350 to 200 trans

replaced the power glide in my first bucket with a 200R4.. using the same size tail section it was a bolt on.. don't forget the torque converter for the 200.. if u make a mistake and put in the 350 conv it will NOT go anywhere.. summit sent me a 350 conv for my 200 this is how i know it don't work.. that was an ooooops..

#7 ·
replaced the power glide in my first bucket with a 200R4.. using the same size tail section it was a bolt on.. don't forget the torque converter for the 200.. if u make a mistake and put in the 350 conv it will NOT go anywhere.. summit sent me a 350 conv for my 200 this is how i know it don't work.. that was an ooooops..
A converter for a T-350 will not install into a 200-4r. Larger converter hub on the T-350. Too large to slide into the pump bushing

Sounds like you were shipped a 30 spline converter of the 700r4 design. That will fit the pump bushing and not fit the 27 spline input shaft of the 200-4r.

30 spline is larger than 27 spline: No power is transmitted

#12 ·
200 4r

I am a 2004r believer. You may have to drill some hole to mount the crossmember as the th400 was not offered in your body style but there could be holes there for a manual trans, I'm not sure. you will have to look.

Getting it overhauled by a reputable builder is very important and so is setting up the tv cable. Check out Bowtie Overdrives | TV Made EZ for info on that.

As far as monster do some more research, and ill leave it at that. There is probably a good builder near to you but you don't say where you are located.

If you decide to tackle a diy overhaul , I'd recommend a copy of ck performance bible on the 2004r. Well worth the cost even if you just want to know what goes into a quality build.
GM 2004R TECHNICAL MANUAL

If you have questions, don't hesitate to post them up. There are a bunch of helpful members who freely share their knowledge.

#13 ·
I am a 2004r believer. You may have to drill some hole to mount the crossmember as the th400 was not offered in your body style but there could be holes there for a manual trans, I'm not sure. you will have to look.

Getting it overhauled by a reputable builder is very important and so is setting up the tv cable. Check out Bowtie Overdrives | TV Made EZ for info on that.

As far as monster do some more research, and ill leave it at that. There is probably a good builder near to you but you don't say where you are located.

If you decide to tackle a diy overhaul , I'd recommend a copy of ck performance bible on the 2004r. Well worth the cost even if you just want to know what goes into a quality build.
GM 2004R TECHNICAL MANUAL

If you have questions, don't hesitate to post them up. There are a bunch of helpful members who freely share their knowledge.

Thanks, I live in San Antonio, but at this moment cant think of any one I would trust to air up my tires, much less build me a high performance transmission. I keep hearing there are problems with Monster Transmissions, which sucks as they come across to me as good guys.

I am sure that some where in my area builds good transmissions, but the BS level is just too high and so are the prices! And I don't dare take the car in to a shop for this, first the shop will be just sure I'm wealthy and will be certain to bend me over big!

Second, I would have to spend the night there, or for how ever long it took, because the split second after, I unload the car off the trailer and leave.

Some one will have to "road test" it for some reason, "down a narrow side street usually" and then naturally after the job is done, take it out and thrash the crap out my my ride, again. I once took my 1970 Z -28 LT1 into a "reputable" shop for a clutch.

The car was inside the shop when I came to pick it up, and I paid the guy and thanked him. Went to the car and started it, and it was loud as hell!

They actually slammed my Z down a bumpy street with dips in it every where, and tore off the exhaust system basically! Told me that was how it was when it came in. Un fortunately for the shop owner, I was a police officer at the time. After I badged him I began pointing out all the "questionable" car's in his lot, and even more questionable people who worked there.

He found a way to get his mind right! Replaced the entire exhaust system to original factory condition no charge. You know, after venting, I feel much better now!

#14 ·
Well I called Monster transmissions this morning and asked for a supervisor.

I will try to make this a short story, but I suck at it. I asked him about things I have been seeing on line referring to problems with them, and general stability of the place.

I didn't expect much, as if they would run them selves down. But I was greeted with honesty and up front conversation. He didn't go into detail but acknowledged problems that have come up.

As in any kind of large operation, when you build as many transmissions as they do monthly somebody some where will have a complaint. Some were legitimate, and some a case of not knowing what you your doing during the install. And he also pointed out all the different TV shows that feature there transmissions. He said "they came to us" And if we were weird in some way, they would not hitch there wagon us, and drop us fast!

As for the 200 4-R replacing my new built Turbo-350. He told me he would keep the 350 and forget the 200. Pretty honest comeback from people trying to sell something to you.

Said the 200 was only around a short time after production. The 700 R-4 on the other hand, he said was a solid performer, and can take a lot of punishment for a long time, if you don't drag race it every day, it will last just about forever. And its cheaper that the 200 4-R

Wont fit as easy though. and my drive shaft will need shortening. cross member mods etc.. He thought the trans tunnel in my 62 was plenty wide enough for the 700 R-4. I question that.

#20 ·
The guy sounds like a salesman to me.The 2004r was produced by GM from 1980 to 1990. What rear wheel drive cars where left by then? Just one line and the 700r4 that GM was using in the trucks fit just fine so the 2004r got the axe.

There are several builders in Texas and around the US that can make a 2004r live behind 5-800 hp. Not the cheapest thing but with quality comes cost. That monster guy knows the guys he has building can do a 700r4 so that is what he is selling.

Let me know if you want names of the guys building local or otherwise. I run a 2004r and love it.

#15 ·
Well for now I will just hang on to the Turbo 350 and see how it does. I didn't mention it because I have in other places but the car has not been delivered yet. I still don't have room for it, out of the weather till I get my Mustang GT sold.

The nova is freshly built front to back. I just never had a Turbo 350 and honestly didn't think they were that great in a high power application.

I have been told there really good as well. A guy here sent me this link.

200 4R Transmission 750+HP California Performance Transmission I'm 61 years old, and I have been seeing this guy in magazines and stuff since I was a boy it feels like. But it appears he has it down with the 200 and you pay for it. What do you think

#18 ·
Ya buddy

Maybe you should talk to these guys they were one of the first to do these O.D. transmissions: Bowtie Overdrives

From what I saw there, I cant find a reason to look else ware! I was concerned some about my trans cross member working with the 200, I stopped being concerned.

Bowtie Overdrives - View Item

And they have the top of the line billet handled B&M shifter for a lot less than Summet.

I didn't look at anything else, but I am about to now. I have to say sir THANKS a bunch!

I didn't know about these people, very grateful sir.

#19 ·
Oh ya the spread of the ratios in the 200 should be noticed compared to the turbo 350. I like the idea of a new powder coated trans cross member that's a bolt in replacement for the 350.

Could just use the original and move it and drill holes, and I may once I get under it and scope it out. I run 3.70's in rear end. Its a street car, and will see high way use, but mostly street cruising.

Good all around ratio for my use, and the 200 would improve that I think.

I just have not tried to sell my Mustang with any real effort. Been such a great car, fast and trouble free. Its got to go, to make room.

#21 ·
Thank you very much for taking the time to lay things out for me. I think the 200 4 R in this instance. Bowtie Overdrives - View Item

Is up to the task for my car. I'm running a 383 stroker with Edelbrock carb and performer intake. Edelbrock carbs. 11.1 roller motor balanced/blueprinted.

Comes with a 200 HP nitrous shot, makes 505 HP at the crank on the motor.

And all this is just peachy.........but the car is still not home!! Its killing me!

Its 90 miles away, and I have no place out of the weather to put it, till my Mustang GT is sold or I find a sheltered place for it.

No sir, right at this moment, all I can do is look at my pictures and watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_raT-JYiwU

#22 ·
I have to admit the idea of seeing me dancing naked around anything flaming or not, is cracking me up!

I get ya, but I love my cars, all of them. This Mustang is special because before I bought it brand new in 2007, you could not have got me any where near a Ford dealer. For me, it was either Chevy, or Mopar's

I mean I thought any thing with a Ford emblem was garbage or worse. I was stupid.

This Mustang has 94.000 on it, and to this day has not seen new spark plugs or anything else under the hood but for a battery.

And I have put one set of tires on it, just like the originals. Never leaked anything ever etc...

And it will plant you in your seat hard when you stand on it, runs high 12's low 13's depending on traction in second gear.

Its the best car I ever owned, and lots of modifications. Its been caught in the rain on the road plenty, but its never been "rained on" . Notice the reflection of me and one of my dogs as well as the neighborhood in the passenger side door? Pretty fair for a 8 year old.

Attachments

#23 ·
Well sir here in Texas Mustangs are very popular, and as well many have 200.000 miles and more and still run hard and fast.

And you said not to mention it was not maintained. It has been meticulously maintained its whole life. But all I ever had to do was run Mobil 1 after it was broke in, and run Royal Purple in the transmission and rear end changed every 30.000 miles. Nothing ever broke.

As well my GT came with Premium GT-350 package. Cold air intake, big injectors, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, little Hurst Shifter, the cool tail lights, leather interior, killer sound system etc...

I like your GM pride, I understand it, I like GM to, I have a Nova. I also have a 2013 Buick Verano .

They used to say in commercials, "keep that genuine GM feeling with genuine GM parts" I knew exactly what they meant about the GM feeling.

Still do.

#24 ·
I did that 200 tranny a couple of years back on my 77 nova. studied the net for about three months or so and located a few 200's . Rebuilt one and added the extra clutches, rebuilt the pump to 10 vanes, wider band, bigger valves, and etc, etc, ect. It wasn't hard at all. Its a runner and it shifts good if you study the problems and can think outside the box. Bolted right in to my 355 and only moved the cross member back to the next set of hole and elongated them and drilled two new ones. Need too use the bigger valves on the pump to increase the pressure, as well as harden rings in the pump. I also found a deep pan for mine and used the stock filter. I removed the stand offs in the bottom of the pan and put one one extra filter seal on the filter to lower the filter to the bottom of the pan. tried the 700 filter but didn't like that it sucked junk off the bottom of the pan. The 200 is a top feeder filter and I just made one of the valve body bolts 3/4 inch longer to help hold the filter down on the bottom of the pan. Remember the 200 and 700 trannys need help in the pressure category. So you need too up the valve sizes to make them live. Use a pressure gauge and spend a lot of time on the tv set up and you'll be good to go. LOVE IT

#25 ·
I am so grateful to you and all the others who took the time to educate me on this transmission. I have to honest, I only knew of Turbo 400's and 350's, the latter is what I have now. That's GM, a 727 torque flight , Chrysler, and C4 C7 Fords.

So the 4 speeds are something I never had in a hot rod or anything. And I don't have any where near your ability with transmissions, cant do what you do sir.

After I get used to the car some, and see how it feels, up grading the transmission is a good idea now and later on.

I would buy my tranny built by pros. I was introduced to Bowtie

Bowtie Overdrives - View Item

This is there best. I had Monster transmissions all but get started on a 200 4R . Again, I was educated my more than a few people to steer clear of Monster.

I'm going to take there word for it. Might have made a costly mistake.

Thanks again sir.. Gary

#27 ·
. Gear Vendors is a very expensive overdrive... and doesn't add much overdrive ratio... if your truck's top speed is 60 MPH, it may be lacking in torque/HP and not even able to pull an overdrive... engine may be weak or need repairs/rebuilding... or your tranny may be missing the top gear...

#29 ·
Thanks for the help. I think everything is fine with the motor and trans, it has a 4sp with a granny low and a 235 straight 6. I have a lot of low end torque and have hauled some heavy concrete pipe for the company that I worked for before my back went out. I've thought of adding a 5 sp but would have to do a lot of research first. The truck has the emergency brake attached to the back of the tranny and it takes a unique bellhousing.
I don't want to hijake this thread so I'll leave it at that. Good luck with your project sounds like fun, makes me wish I could work and have the money to work on my 67 camaro and my 62 Chevy.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.