Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

200-4r 700-R4 transmission and kit q's

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TexasT 
#1 ·
Im wondering what the difference is in the kits, tci is $120, and others $45 - what are your recommendations for a nice hotrod toy? no racing / sustained high rpms.

I want to open my trans up and install some improvements for performance, drive-ability and longevity -

Also the Jr kits from transgo - are these just spring kits / no gaskets?

can i use the parts from the sk700 kit for my 200-4r?

#2 ·
The kit I used was from 700r4l60e.com, it was a complete kit. It came with bushings, clutches, steels, separator plate,springs, TV valve, boost valve, all the replacement parts for the pump, gaskets, seals, the whole 9 yards. It was a little over 500.00 dollars. If you not spending that much for a rebuild kit then your not getting everything you need. I used the road race kit. I called Dana an he asked me what year my 700 r4 was an asked what I was going to use it for, then he put together a custom kit for my trans. I don't think theirs anything interchangeable between the 700 & 200.

#4 ·
If your rebuilding the tranny, do it once-do it right. No matter which one you do, put in the bigger boost valves (both of them). I prefer the 200-4r, but no complaints with the 700 as long as you do the boost valves. Don''t drill out the separator plate. That doesn't really work that well for street cars.

#5 ·
You don't say what your 2004r came out of. There id a metal tag on the pass side rear with characters stamped in it. This could help identify what it came from the factory in.

The kits differ in price as their contents are not the same. As above you need the larger boost valves if yours isn't a brf with the .471 boost setup. Stock pressures are fine for stock vehicles, but when you turn up the wick on the engine your trans needs higher pressures to be able to clamp the clutches and band or they will slip and burn. A larger 2nd gear servo is also(or at least should be) needed on your shopping list. This gives clamping force to stop the drum and put the trans into 2nd gear.

The pump on the 700r4 and 2004r are similar and use the same boost valves and pump internals(rotor, slide, vanes and such. I would stay with the stock 7 vane or purchase a blueprinted pump from a vendor unless you have the ability to measure clearance and adjust if necessary. You can go to a .500 boost valve and .283 rev boost valve and a "pink" spring to get your pressures up.
www.CKPerformance.comGM2004RSHIFTKITSVALVEBODIESGOVERNORS

or hit ebay and search. Lots of stuff.
Or even a part house like this one.
Reverse_Boost_Valve

500_T_V_Boost_valve

Pressure_regulator_spring

Clutch return spring
get you one of these to put in the line bias valve, and move the line bias valve spring to the accumulator valve in the valve body.

Heavy_duty_pump_vane_rings
You also want a pair of these
HD Slide spring
I used one of these but I dont seem to be able to find them cheaply.
cobratransmission.com/
pr
at RockAuto Parts Catalog and searching for 77722-01K

Some instructions on hole sizes to try.
While you have the pump out.

And if you are going that far you will want a hardened stator support and hard hard sun shell if you go with a full on overhaul

2004R_Hardened_stator_support_shaft
Hardened_Sun_Gear_Shell

I also put one of these on. I figured for a buck how could I go wrong.
700 R4 4L60E 2004R transmission seal retainer 700R4 4L60E 2004R

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.