200 4r for the 77 nova
I thought i'd tell what i've been doing. I have a 1977 concours nova hatchback i bought new and has been my toy. None else has ever driven it and it has always been garaged and never been rained on. A few years ago i rebuild a 350 for it and got rid of the 305. Put in a 3.42 eaton poss. I now have installed a 200 4r tranny that is rebuild. Never rebuilt a tranny but i did it. I wanted an overdrive and chose the 200 4r so i didn't have to alter my driveshaft and can later be put back to original encase my children want to do that later after i'm gone. I studied the 200 4r and all the web cites. I rebuilt one that came from a 86 monte carlo with a CRF valve body. I used red alto clutchs and wide red alto band. It has six clutches in the low/reverse, 5 in the forward clutch enstead of four, 8 in the direct clutch enstead of six, 3 in the overrun clutch enstead of two, and 3 inthe fourth clutch pack enstead of two. Put in the larger .471 boost valve and larger low reverse boost valve. I rebuild the pump by upgrading to a 10 vane pump and relieving the oil return to prevent front seal blow out. I also replaced pump rings with harden steel rings. I started with a good running tranny and rebuild it, which i think save me alot of headaches. I did also put in alot of different springs from a upgrade kit and a bigger servo. The mistake i made was to drill out the seperator plate per instructions. It shifted to hard, so i put a stock seperator plate back in and it works good now. The other trick is to put in the 700 r4 filter that feed from the bottom enstead from the top of the filter. I was able two use two tranny pans and have my machinest cut the bottom off one and add that section to the other one to give me 1 1/4 inches more. then put stops in the bottom of it for the filter to set on, so there is a space for the junk so its not sucked up into the filter. The instalation of the tranny was so simple. I just moved the cross member back to the next set of holes and only had to drill two new ones that only took a couple of minuetes. I notched the tang on the crossmember so i could reach all the pan bolts. I also used the hand grinder on the vary back part of the pan and took of 20 thousand so the pan would clear the cross member better. I also used three pieces of old intertube that i notched to put between the tranny and the crossmember. This is a old shade tree trick to help prevent vibrations. None of this will do you any good if you don't get you TV cable set up right. Do all the work and then screw it up by taking a short cut only shows that you shouldn't of did the project at all. Read all the web information on the web. there is ton of stuff and its all good. I suggest you have a second tranny for part if you need it. It worked for me. now i wonder why i didn't do it sooner, and why more guys don't do it. It works for all the GM cars.