Hot Rod Forum banner

200-4r bog

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  diehrd 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I recently installed a 200-4r transmission CZ model in my 1968 Firebird. I ordered the tci tv cable and throttle brackets to have the correct geometry. I also bought the PAINLESS WIRING kit for the lock up convertor thats the link for the wiring kit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-60110/overview/

the car shifts well and at the proper shift points but sometimes when im slowing down and giving it gas lets say like going over a speed bump it will bog kin of like when you have manual transmission that has been shifted into to high a gear and theres shudder and no power

how do i fix this problem?

any help is appreciated

#4 ·
so basically what i need to do is hood up an inline switch from the power line and just switch it on on the freeway? in town just keep it toggled off?

is there a reason why it would lock up like that at low speeds? it has a vaccuum switch.

#6 ·
hook the switch in the ground side. less heat buildup in the switch. i allways put a switch in the ground side. makes things work a lot cooler with less chance of interior fire. trust me check my chal. pics posted in my profile. little advice cost me about $20,000.

#7 ·
Which fourth gear preasure switch are you using ? There are two different ones. One is the open one and other is the closed one. Not sure how you got it wired and which one you have. The wrong combination of switch and wiring could cause that problem. There are several cites on the web that can give you your answer, and directions which way to go. If you use the toggle way, the negative route is the way to go.

#8 ·
are you tapping on the brake at any time this happens. reason i'm asking is tapping on the brake kills the power to lock the converter. if not you haven't wired it thru the brake lite switch or you've got the wrong switch i would tap the brake as soon as you feel this if it's working to keep from killing the converter.

#9 ·
yes i tap on the brake as soon as it starts to lug, I called painless this morning and he said the 4th gear switch that comes in the kit only engages the lock up in 4th gear so why is my tranny doing this in the first place?

this weekend when i get a change to drive the car im going to unplug the pig tail going into the transmission and see how it behaves in town. if it still lugs when i slow down and then speed back up then ill know its a lock up issue.

#12 ·
the painless kit came with the 4th gear pressure switch that i installed and a vaccuum switch that has ported vacuum going to it. other than that just hooked up the 4 pole brake light switch that came with the kit that is supposed to deactivate the lock up when i tap the brakes.

#14 ·
Was reading threw my 200 4r problem sheet that I came across and saved for references, it mentioned a problem that felt like the motor was loading up ands finally would shift down with a jerk before motor would die. It says, If you leave the solenoid check ball in position but do not wire the TCC valve, then the car will not down shift normally. As you come to a stop you will get the sensation the motor is loading up and you will think it is going to die. Hope this will help

#15 ·
i tried using a vss valve in line and that didnt work, my only guess now is maybe i need a different vacuum switch, the painless wiring kit i have came with a stick gm vacuum switch that locks and unlocks the tcc depending on vacuum, maybe i need an adjustable one so the vaccum switch turns off the tcc quicker. im going to try an adjustable one and set the vaccum settung to a higher vacuum.

#16 ·
The vacuum switches work best with an internal 4th gear only lock up switch. You can but that switch on ebay , and it will not allow the car to lock up until 4th gear and the instant you come out of 4th gear it releases the torque converter.

The vacuum set ups are flawed , GM new it back in the day. It will cause lock / unlocking of the T/Q as you accel and decell .. So far the best lock up I have used for a low cost was a 4th gear pressure switch with a toggle inside the car . They B&M system at under 200.00 works well but it is costly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.