Hot Rod Forum banner

200-4R Build Finally Begins!

30K views 62 replies 12 participants last post by  dwwl 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I am Finally ready to start tearing down the trans for rebuilding. I am looking at picking up a core for $100 out of an 88 monte carlo ss, or my friend has one with a fresh rebuild in it that wants to trade for a set or rebuilt vortec heads i have. I have about $300 into the heads. Do you think I could pick up the trans that is rebuilt and maybe put in a shift recalibration kit along with a new servo? Originally i was gonna just get a core and rebuild it myself with CKPerformance MASTER REBUILD KIT #24RRK/C. http://www.ckperformance.com/resources/GM2004RREBUILDKITS.html Included in this kit is
GENERAL OVERHAUL KIT #24RMRK
6 piece washer kit with 2 oversize sun shell washers
12 piece bushing kit
4 piece rear section selective end play washer kit
15 piece center section selective end play washer kit
All friction and steel plates
Updated 3 friction 4th clutch pack
6 friction 3-4 cluch pack with red lined racing frictions
Alto oversize red lined racing band with welded anchors
High flow filter assembly.
SHIFT RECALIBRATION KIT #24RSRK/A ($129.00)
HEAT TREAT PUMP STATOR TUBE #24RCC/PST ($34.99)
HEAT TREATED SUN GEAR SHELL #24RCC/SGS ($34.99)
HEAVY DUTY LOCK UP SOLENOID #29.99

I am gonna be putting about 400hp/tq to the trans behind a vortec sbc355. Thanks for all the input everyone!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thought '87 was the last year for the MCSS... If you can verify it's from a SS, it's a great core to start with. At least you won't have to buy a (better) valve body. I'd be inclined to go that way with Chris's kit.

Russ

#3 · (Edited)
You might be correct on it being an 87. I assumed it was late 80s from the body style. From what I have read if I do go with a core then rebuild it I should look for either a grand national trans, a monte carlo trans, or a turbo trans am trans. They have better valve bodies and servos from the factory. I am a little iffy about getting a trans that is already rebuilt that i am gonna tear into to replace parts anyways. Plus the kid that "rebuilt" it says those trans hold 650hp from the factory without any modifications lol. So who knows how good he did rebuilding it.

#4 ·
87 was last year for the GN, 88 was last year for the SS.
You'll probably have better luck with the CZ code SS Monte core.
CR & KC code cores are good to work with also. Jakeshoe has experience with them, tuning them for higher rpm auto shifts using the CZ/SS code Governor. I think he said with CZ Gov, they shift around 6100-6200rpm.
The GN's BR/BQ codes seem to work best with the lower rpm turbo V6 engine from what I've read.

#9 ·
I'll be watching this thread with interest. I want to do this upgrade for my 69 GTO resto-mod. It is just above stock in terms of power and I want to shed the huge, inefficient TH400. Before the flames begin, I know the 400 is virtually indestructible, but I want Overdrive and I like the 200's gear spread.

Whats everyone's thoughts on a 200 from a late 80's Cadillac? I was at the u-pick/u-pull about 2 months ago, and there were several Cadillacs with a 200 in them. They also sell these dirt cheap because...u have to pull it. :)

-J

#10 ·
Not to discourage you from using the caddy trans I believe it is the AA code. The main diffrence is the

Valvebody and calibrations
Governor
Intermediate apply piston
Spring calibration 1-2 and 3-4 apply pistons
Torque convertor

As stated the CQ and CZF will be the easiest and reasonable core to find out of all the performance 2004r.I have scored a few off of craigslistq

#15 ·
I found a 200-4r on craigslist in my area. The guy wants $800 for it and says its built for 500hp. It comes with a stock GN converter that I will prolly sell cause I will need a stall speed of around 3000. But the rest of the trans has hardened sun shell upgraded clutches with additional clutches ,bearings instead of bushings ,b&m shift kit ,upgraded valves , never installed. I am still waiting on the code off the trans and he said its a BOP bell housing. Is this worth it? I would prefer to get a core and put the rebuild and shift kit from CK in it.

#18 ·
Since you're in New York you should talk to David Husek @TurboBuickPerformance or Chris @CkPerformance. There's several builders having price wars on TurboBuick.com forums right now. Price wars on 2004R's & Billet parts. I love competition. :thumbup:
Look for posts by David Husek or Chris718 on TB forum.
http://ckperformance.com/index.html
http://www.turbobuickperformance.com/
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/

I'd pass on the $800 trans also. B&M shift improver kit :rolleyes: :nono: not in a 2004R.

#19 ·
yea im def gonna pass on it. i talked to my local trans shop and he said he should be able to get me a core in a week and it will cost $75. he really thinks i would be better off with a 700 because i already have a 30 spline trans. i did the gear calculations today and it wasnt too big of a difference so i guess i got some more thinking to do.

#20 ·
Nothing wrong with a 700r4 if you have a heavy vehicle. The extra low first helps it out of the hole. But then there is the big jump to second.

I like the 2004r better for its gear spacing and the physical dimensions that allow it to go in without cutting the drive shaft in my application. Plenty of real fast cars using one.

#21 ·
Well digging this back up. I finally am in a position financially to tackle this project. I have bought ckperformance's rebuild manual and have been reading through it. I also got an ATSG manual and rebuild video and GM Technical Manual that has a section all about the 200-4r. Well I picked up an 87 Monte Carlo today. Not sure if its an SS or not no badges on the car at all. Its pretty rotted but has the SS wheels and SS steering wheel but of course these could all be swapped. I pulled the trans and got the tag off of it just as the sun went down.

The Code from the Tag is 064-862CHF1628.

I was kinda hoping it was gonna be a CZF but I can not find any documentation on this "CHF" trans. Does any one know if it is any good. I am still using the rebuild kit from CK Performance that I posted originally but depending on the Governor I may need to upgrade that also. But anyways can you guys give me input on this trans and if its worth rebuilding for my olds. Luckily I was able to get the whole car so now I have the TV Cable, cross member, and tv carb bracket.

Thanks everyone!

#22 ·
1988 was the last of the monte ss for sure had one the ss trannys with the stock caibration works good i d up grade to a 13 vane pump and .500 boost valve any 200r will benifit from a transgo shift kit i dont use the hd kit i use there sk200r4 combined with a super servo in a high performance app or a 200 3speed servo for a crusier or daily driver couple other thing i use is 2 wave springs in the low and rev piston add a extra od friction by maching the apply hub always use a new sun gear and stator and tv cable adjustment is critical

#23 ·
According to this site Monte Carlo VIN Decoding my VIN is one of the possible combinations for the SS. Any idea how else I can find out. The car is pretty rotted and I want just gonna scrap it after pulling everything I want off of it but if its an SS maybe I will put it up for parts on a couplle different places and give people a chance to get what they might want off of it

Any input on this particular model of 200 4r? Again I have not seen a CHF on any of the websites I have looked at.

#25 ·
81-85 had a lot of trouble with stators i wouldnt re use a torque converter from any transmission core depending on your application a 82-84 corvette spec converter has a 2000rpm stall speed if u live in the mid west or do lots of hiway driving stay with the lock up if your mostly in town run a non lock up converter and use the trans go non lock up conversion if the gear on your governer is green its most likly a ss trans as far as books atsg are advabilble but try to find a gm service manual that covers a 200r4 its more detailed the sk200r4 kit gives good info also

#26 ·
My cam requires around 2800-3000 rpm stall so Im sure nothing from the factory will work for me I was just wondering about maybe reselling it to someone that could use it. I planned on upgrading to the hardened stator anyways so that will fix the issue seen in the picture. I could not get any further yesterday with the tear down so during the week I will keep reading through the material I have and hopefully next weekend at least pull the pan and maybe get a better idea as to what code is on the valve body of this thing and maybe pull the pump out and get a better look inside. I will be getting a lockup converter because I do want to be able to drive this down the highway and since about 20min of my commute to work is highway I would like to be able to get as much economy out of it as possible and not wear out the engine with the higher rpm.

It doesn't seem that too many people have come across this CHF code so I am rather interested in finding out more about it.

#27 ·
After thinking I may not run a lockup converter. I used this site Performance Probe
to show my speed and rpm from gear ratios and it says that in fourth doing about 70mph I should be close to 2200rpm which would be fine for me.

Im gonna be running 255/60R15 for tires and a 3.73 rear gear
and after plugging in the trans ratios im rather happy with the results. Definitely something to think more about though.

Anyone else wanna chime in on pros/cons of running the lockup in my application?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.