200-4R Build Finally Begins! - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

No, you've got a good core. A 86 or87 would of had some minor upgrades, but if you rebuild with some new better hard parts, bigger valves and better clutches and upgraded pump, you could have a good tranny. Your tranny should have the governor set up for (calibrated) for 3.73 gears. Stator tube should be replaced, when you upgrade the pump. I went overboard on my build of my second tranny. Its the one I put in my nova. It got 5 forward, 9 direct, 3 overrun, 3 fourth clutches and wide 2nd band. I know some say that the thin steels are subject to heat warping, but I run low thermostat, deep pan and large coolers. You got to remember, you're going to have to spend time on the minor little things to make this all work. You will have to move the cross member back and drill new holes. I had to even notch the tang on the cross member so I could reach one of the pan bolts. Nothing is easy. If you don't like the challenge, for get it. Good luck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Did you ever wonder?

Last journal entry: Got it moving under its own power
Last photo:

How is your build coming along?

I was able to get a smoking deal on a torque converter for mine and the selectives and washer kit came to try to tighten up my lower section. I ended up putting red Raybestos stage 1 clutches in the direct and tan borg warner in the rest of the places, and got a black carbon band. I got the bearing set from here
Transmission Bearing KIT, 2004R, 1976-85, 6 Bearings 54201B
to replace the roller bearings. There is a bushing in the lower planet that is recommended to be replaced with a bearing

and the one in the other planetary was fun too as I found it necessary to remove the planets to get old out and new in.

You haven't had fun until you did this.

I was also told to double up the wave spring on the low/rev piston to soften the 'clunk' as it goes into reverse.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 PM

That looks like a lot of fun rebuilding that lower. If I have to rebuild mine again i'll have to do that, so i'll have extra fun. I will remember that doubling of wave spring trick. I haven't had the clunk, but i'll remember it. I did double up the gear selector spring which made shifting gears stiffer, and I like that. I,v e applied that trick to my stand by tranny as well. I used the deep pan and put the filter on the bottom of the pan by putting 3/4 inch spacer cut from a filler tube seal. fit like a glove. I've modified that filter three times now and this turned out the best. Love hearing about all the different things done to these 200-4r's.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.