Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 200-4r early shifts when hot!
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwin66
Hey guys, I have a 200-4r tranny behind a stock 305 86 monte SS. Everything is stock, stock, stock.

I just bought the car. when the tranny is cold it shifts fine, no slip, proper kick downs, etc.

When the tranny gets hot (2-3 miles+), i notice the shifts get stacked on one another and i'm in 4th gear at 20mph. also, when stopping, it's holding onto engine and the motor almost stalls.

now I know the importance of the TV cable and I've checked it 10 times and am "sure" it is set correctly - being that it shifts properly when cold i'm leaning away from TV cable issues.

is this pointing towards a converter problem?

i dont have a pressure gauge and haven't checked pressures - hoping to maybe get an idea before i go that far or even drop the pan. but i know that knowing the pressures is very important.

thanks for any help!
James
id suspect the problem to be governor related, either the governor its self or,
a worn out governor bore, or a loose fitting governor gear can cause a hydraulic "bleed" where as the fluid when it gets hot, it thins out, and can cause stacked shifts. especially being in 4th gear by 20 mph.
even if theres a problem with the tv valve, if anything, it will shift later not earlier.
as far as it wanting to stall when coming to a stop, odds are that the tcc solenoid is getting stuck on. from my experience, its not uncommon to see a tcc solenoid failure on a 200-4r. had to replace mine when i had a 200-4r in a ventura of mine. went to a 700 specifically built to run without the lockup. never looked back. had over 175,000 miles on it when i sold the car, and still going strong.

Last edited by tnsmith10; 02-16-2012 at 07:37 PM.