Hot Rod Forum banner

200-4r experts - build questions - Which core is best to build on?

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jakeshoe 
#1 ·
Im getting ready to build a 200-4r to replace my th350 and go behind my newly rebuilt 406. Im looking tips, tricks, ideas, etc:

I know that some of the 2004rs are better than others. Im able to get either a 85-87 core for $ 100 or a grand national one that a guy was using in his camaro for $300. Which one should I go with?

I read that going with full manual valve body will eliminate the TV cable, and I know that wrong adjustment of the TV cable will quickly ruin the tranny within a few miles - after putting $1k into the transmission and having it be drag raced, shifting all the time wouldn't bother me and is a small price to pay to ensure that nothing can go wrong. Any comment on this idea?

(The Build will include the super rebuild kit(with the extra frictions in the front and overdrive packs) and hardened forward drum from CPT. Transgo stage 2 shift kit, 13 vane pump upgrade, wide kevlar band from Bulk. Hardened sun shell, hardened stator, .500 boost valve, and HD pump rings and slide spring from OPT. And a HP servo such as a superior) Anything Im missing here? Is billet forward drum necessary? 406 will ~470TQ and 425HP, planning for around 500 in both later and 150 shot nitrous way later

See less See more
#6 ·
I would definitely use a billet fwd drum at those HP levels.
The Transgo kit is OK, 10 or 13 vane pump, GN or billet servo.

Few tips for you, the Bowtie Overdrives servo is a pretty decent piece for the money. About $80 shipped. It'll save you $20+ to go elsewhere.

You need a heat treated stator shaft and sun shell.

Don't use a Kevlar band.

#7 ·
I dont want to be scerwin around with the TV cable, Im scared Ill get it wrong and then totaly muff the $1500 tranny I just barely installed. I know, thats a lame reason huh, but 1500 bucks its alot for a High School student BIG investment after my engine and I dont want anything to go wrong.

Jake, Ive been reading your posts all across the net on this topic - I value your opinion the most. I have about 10 windows open right now about the 200r4. I might still have some lingering questions which I might email you about if you dont mind.

Crap, no go on that hardened forward drum... Know of any used ones for sale or where to get it for less than $400? Im tryin to get all the standard HD parts to my door for under $1k for a complete build including the $100 core.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.