Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 200-4r questions looking to build up
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

If you got the 200 4r tranny, you'll love it. I Built one for my 1977 nova last year. I upgraded it by rebuildilng the front pump to 10 vane and relieving it. Hardened rings is a must. You have to put in the bigger boost valves and low gear boost valve. I upped the clutch count to 8 in the direct clutch pact, 5 in the forward clutch pack, three in the overrun cluch, and 3 in the fourth cluch. Larger red band. If you use a large boost valves, do not oversize the holes in the seperator plate. I used a larger 2nd gear band servo for more holding power. I recommend the red clutches. If you can find a second 200 4r for parts, it realy helps. I used the second one for insurance incase something was bad. I also used the second pan to have one cut short and one cut long and welded back together to make a deep pan. Then you can us the 700 r4 filter since its a bottom feeder enstead of the 200 filter that is a top feeder. If you use the 7.5 rear, you maybe pushing it to its limit of horse power and torque with a healthy 350, or more. Go for it? You betcha