Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 200-4r questions looking to build up
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

First of all, are you capaable of rebuildilng it your self? if so go for it. It's not easy and you still are going to have to buy the book. I'd bet that 75% of the rebuilt trannys that people do, fail. You have to have alot of patience and time. Along with that, you have to be orderly and clean about the work space. Auto trannys don't like dirty rebuilds. Do you know how to see the problems that cause failures in the rebuild? No tranny builder can tell you everthing you need to know. Every tranny wears dilfferently. I recommend you have it done by someone who knows how to rebuild a 200 4r. If not and your serious, It will cost you between 750-1000 to build for parts, dependilng on what type and seriousness of the build. Mine cost me approx $1100.00. But i knew the trick how to redo mine to save money. The second one i rebuilt cost me less, because i used the very best part from three other trannys, and new red clutch kit. I had never rebuilt a auto tranny before, but i have other knowledge in hydrolic funtions that aided me. I studied the tranny as I took it apart with the use of the book andit works fine. I have the patience of job, and that is what it will take. If you think that is the end of it, your wrong. Next is installing it right. Anyone can take it out. Do you know how to install the tq converter/ TV set up, ect. If you can get some help, go for it. If i sound negative, its because i've tried to help people and they lack insight and blame me. That is why tranny builder don't tell you much, the average guy thinks they got led astray. Know have i discourage you, if not, go for it.