Hot Rod Forum banner

200-4r questions looking to build up

4K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  strokermax 
#1 ·
ok so im looking at gettin a 85 monte carlo ss with a 7.5 rear 4.11s gears a th200r4 and a mild 355 chevy.

He told me the only thing done to the 200 was a shift kit ive read and looked and it seems the 200 wont last long behind a 355 so can you guys help me make it a decent transmission for lets say max 450hp?

im on a tight budget but i can use you guys ideas for help thanks

#8 ·
If you got the 200 4r tranny, you'll love it. I Built one for my 1977 nova last year. I upgraded it by rebuildilng the front pump to 10 vane and relieving it. Hardened rings is a must. You have to put in the bigger boost valves and low gear boost valve. I upped the clutch count to 8 in the direct clutch pact, 5 in the forward clutch pack, three in the overrun cluch, and 3 in the fourth cluch. Larger red band. If you use a large boost valves, do not oversize the holes in the seperator plate. I used a larger 2nd gear band servo for more holding power. I recommend the red clutches. If you can find a second 200 4r for parts, it realy helps. I used the second one for insurance incase something was bad. I also used the second pan to have one cut short and one cut long and welded back together to make a deep pan. Then you can us the 700 r4 filter since its a bottom feeder enstead of the 200 filter that is a top feeder. If you use the 7.5 rear, you maybe pushing it to its limit of horse power and torque with a healthy 350, or more. Go for it? You betcha :D

#9 ·
what would all of the above parts run me. i wanna do it right just not get ripped off. the prices of most stuff dont seem to bad compared to what i spent on a diesel transmission to stand up to 700 pounds of torque. thats only a mild 350 horses but wow it was expensive

#10 ·
First of all, are you capaable of rebuildilng it your self? if so go for it. It's not easy and you still are going to have to buy the book. I'd bet that 75% of the rebuilt trannys that people do, fail. You have to have alot of patience and time. Along with that, you have to be orderly and clean about the work space. Auto trannys don't like dirty rebuilds. Do you know how to see the problems that cause failures in the rebuild? No tranny builder can tell you everthing you need to know. Every tranny wears dilfferently. I recommend you have it done by someone who knows how to rebuild a 200 4r. If not and your serious, It will cost you between 750-1000 to build for parts, dependilng on what type and seriousness of the build. Mine cost me approx $1100.00. But i knew the trick how to redo mine to save money. The second one i rebuilt cost me less, because i used the very best part from three other trannys, and new red clutch kit. I had never rebuilt a auto tranny before, but i have other knowledge in hydrolic funtions that aided me. I studied the tranny as I took it apart with the use of the book andit works fine. I have the patience of job, and that is what it will take. If you think that is the end of it, your wrong. Next is installing it right. Anyone can take it out. Do you know how to install the tq converter/ TV set up, ect. If you can get some help, go for it. If i sound negative, its because i've tried to help people and they lack insight and blame me. That is why tranny builder don't tell you much, the average guy thinks they got led astray. Know have i discourage you, if not, go for it.

#12 ·
OK. Now set down for the day at the old computor and research all the 200 4r tranny cites you can. Every time you see something that you want to know or use later, copy it/in paper form. then you will have it for reference. My file must of use a rem of paper. I know everyou tells you that you have to have special tools to take them apart and put them back together. I didn't. I looked at the type of tool they used and substituted something else. If you can do that, then you must be able to think on you feet. I used a short piece of top chain link fence rail with the male end to put in the support to rock it loose and out. Worked like a charm. When rebuilding the pump, I didn't have the large clamp to hold the two halves together when you bolt it back together. I used a very long sign clamp that i got years ago, it looks like a very wide, long radiator clamp. Good luck from Atlantic Ia

#16 ·
doesn't matter, it they didn't upgrade some hard parts, spend the 65 bucks get the book, it'll show you what needs to be chaned as your power level goes up..
this is what CKP does to make it live behind up to 500hp/500ft lb torque

The 2004R STREET/STRIP TRANSMISSION is reccomended for most high performance street and strip cars producing up to 500 horsepower/500lbs. ft. and weighing up to 3500 lbs.Perfect for low 11 second TURBO BUICKS,as well as all small and big block Buick,Cadillac,Chevrolet,Oldsmobile and Pontiac vehicles.All of our 2004R transmissions are in car tested and calibrated prior to shipment.The main mechanical failure in the 2004R trans is the forward drum.Our units come with this item STANDARD,not as an option.Although we have had cars go deep into the 10 second zone with this trans the durability of the overdrive section becomes questionable.When these parts break the vehicle will not go forward or reverse.For applications over 500 horsepower/500lbs. ft. and 9 and 10 second et. capable cars look into the 2004R PRO STREET/STRIP TRANSMISSION packages.Look over the build sheets and compare our builds to others based on components,not the "STAGE" designation.You will not find a similar trans at a lower price anywhere.

COMPETITION COMPONENTS
E4340 STEEL BILLET SHAFT FORWARD CLUTCH DRUM.
E4140 STEEL BILLET BAND ANCHOR PIN.
SUMP EXTENDER WITH BOTTOM FEED FILTER
PERFORMANCE INTEMEDIATE SERVO ASSEMBLY.
HEAT TREATED STATOR TUBE.
HEAT TREATED SUN GEAR SHELL.
PINNED GOVERNOR SPRING ELIMINATES GOVERNOR SPRING EJECTION
All of our billet competition component are manufactured in house on HAAS CNC equiptment.

CLUTCH AND BAND UPGRADES
SOLID TEFLON SEALING RINGS INSTALLED AT ALL LOCATIONS.
ALUMINUM FORWARD CLUTCH PISTON.
ALL NEW CLUTCHES AND STEELS.
ALTO WIDE RED 2ND GEAR BAND.
UPDATED 3 CLUTCH OVERDRIVE PACK.
.250" THICK STEEL DIRECT CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE.
DUAL FEED DIRECT CLUTCH TRIPLES DIRECT CLUTCH APPLY PRESSURE.

PUMP MODIFICATIONS
BRAND NEW BLUEPRINTED GM FRONT PUMP.
.555" CNC MACHINED TV BOOST VALVE.
.400" CNC MACHINED INTERMEDIATE BOOST VALVE.
MODIFIED PRESSURE REGULATOR VALVE.
HIGH RATE PRESSURE REGULATOR VALVE SPRING.
PORTED PUMP DRAINBACK PASSAGES.
INDUCTION HARDENED STATOR SUPPORT.
STEEL PUMP VANE RINGS.
HIGH TENSION PUMP SLIDE SPRINGS.
INCREASED LUBE OIL TO REAR PUMP THRUST WASHER.

ROLLERIZED COMPONENTS
ROLLERIZED CENTER SUPPORT.
ROLLERIZED LO/REVERSE CLUTCH HOUSING.
ROLLERIZED REAR RING GEAR.
Over time the factory metal thrust washers wear and as a result increase operating clearances and send debris through the transmission.All metal thrust washers in the transmission are replaced with high capacity low drag needle bearing assemblies.This is a time consuming process but definately beneficial for a performance transmission build.Internal components are machined in a lathe to create pockets for the bearings to locate in,as well as generate proper clearances.These bearings also reduce internal friction.This results in lower thrust surface operating temperature,and reduced horsepower loss.

CALIBRATION UPGRADES
EXCLUSIVE CK PERFORMANCE SEPERATOR PLATE
DIRECT CLUTCH CORRECTION PACKAGE
RECALIBRATED VALVE BODY AND GOVERNOR
Valve body is completely disassembled ,all parts are cleaned and polished,mating surface is decked and all circuits are then pressure checked to verify proper function.
Over 20 years of research and development have resulted in the ultimate combination of performance and component durability.The main problem with this transmission at high power levels is the direct clutch.Our custom seperator plate removes flow restrictions that cause 2/3 upshift delay and friction element slip.Our revolutionary "3/2 Control Valve Delete" removes the infinitely variable orificing of 3rd accumulator oil to the servo release from the hydraulic system,and uses a single orifice.This is the real correction for direct clutch failure.Custom automatic shift valve body and governor combinations can give you the wide open throttle upshifts your vehicle needs.Calibrations can be made to allow wide open throttle shift points anywhere between 5000 and 6500 rpm's,without shift timing complaints at light or part throttle

#17 ·
I didn't go all out on my 200 4r for my nova. I was never going to race it. Givilng it hell with street tires didn't require alot of the extra goodies a drag car needs. I just wanted it to hold up to the 325hp i've got. I knew a stock tranny wouldn't, even the way i drive it. But with extra clutches, more preasure, better pump, better lower filter, ect., i knew that would work. It has worked great. My gear ratio with 3.73 is right. My next project is to pull the trany back and put in a higher stall converter. I know , even my friends don't understand why i didn't do everthing at one time. I wanted to make sure i didn't get the cart ahead of the horse. Mine was a little hit and miss. I found out that i had over drilled the seperator plate, so i changed it. Now that is rilght. Now that i've got miles on it, its time to change the convertor, and that will make it even better. My wife doesn't care how many times i've had the car up and down. I love it and it keeps me from bothering her. My second tranny was just for the fun of it. I know i'll never need it, but it was fun. Even my brother that is a ford guy, liked the combination. It makes a good street car with those gears, and overdrive for the car shows i like driving to.

#18 ·
I'll see how it drives first.hWhen I get it. I'm not a huge fan of 411s as every vehicle I owned all diesel but still has or had 410s and eats the mileage terrible. So I think I want the 373s again and this be mostly street cat alittle strip action but not much he said he has the car down to 320pounds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.