Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 200 4r starts in 2nd. No part throttle downshift.
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 04:24 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

200 4r starts in 2nd. No part throttle downshift.

I hope someone can give me some sound advise on this. I had this transmission professionally rebuilt, but I think the shift kit in it is for a really high horsepower application... or something's wrong.

The TV cable gets really hard to pull about halfway, like the spring is too stiff. I think this might be causing some of my problems. I also need to change to a lower stall speed converter. This might cause some of my other problems. The pressures check out OK.

So all the gears work, but most of the time it either starts off in 2nd, or just ends up in 3rd or overdrive way too early. It almost never downshifts when accelerating except sometimes when completely floored, which is difficult to do because it is so stiff. I don't want to just tighten the TV cable to change shifting, I want to fix the problem. The TV is already at full throw when at WOT, and relaxed when not.

I cant find a stock throttle valve spring anywhere (the dealer told me they just sell a complete valve body), and was wondering if there's a rebuild kit or mild shift kit I can get which will have the spring I want, and if you guys think it might help. From what I read about these shift kits, most use a stiffer spring there. I've never had one of these apart, nor do I have a diagram for it yet. I also don't know much other than book-knowledge theory on automatics.
I'd esp like to hear from Crosley, though I've read that you dont care much for these transmissions.

The engine only makes about 215hp, and I have a way-too-high (2600) stall speed converter in it, which I'm thinking I ought to change to 1800-2000 from a 442 or GN for this OHC6cy car.