Hot Rod Forum banner

200-4R tv cable goes slack running engine

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dwwl 
#1 ·
What would cause the TV cable to go slack when I crank the engine but returns to tight when you kill the engine?

transmission will not shift out of low.

#2 ·
The cable is attached to a piece in the valve body that is suppose to regulate the pressure delivered to the trans in reference to the amount the throttle is open. I would think that there is something in the vb installed wrong or in the trans wrong and the pressure is moving the plunger and letting the cable loose its tension.

Who put the trans together? Is this a new development on a working trans, or a fresh overhaul?

#3 ·
Your going to have to tell us a little more like tex asked. I've never heard of one getting loose when you start the vehicle up. If its a rebuid, there must be something put in wrong. Tell us a little more. Is it a transplant or the origilnal car. What type of car.?

#4 · (Edited)
Its is an older rebuild. Has been running behind a 283 SBC. I just installed a 383 and purchased a tvmadeez kit from Bowtie overdrives to work with the Edelbrock carb.

They included a spring in the kit that goes behind the TV plunger that they say must be used for their kit and I installed it,set the cable,took it for a drive and all was well for about 2 miles then it quit pulling. Pulled over,restarted and all I had was low.

I found out the TV valve was stuck. After unsuccessfully trying to unstick it with pan on, I removed the pan and plunger and got the valve unstuck.

Will get some fluid in the morning and hopefully it stays unstuck this time, if not,something is going on.

#5 ·
sounds like you may of gotten some junk floating around and it stuck in the valve. Is it possible that you of maybe set the valve on something when you had it out and it stuck to it. If it sticks again, you may have to pull that valve and look at it. Its going to be hard to look inside the valve bore, but it can be done with a small mirror and a strong flash light. By the way, how did you like that 283 200 4r set up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.