Hot Rod Forum banner

2000 Camaro Rear Axle Housing

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
Dear Rodders,

I have a 2000 Camaro bent rear axle housing. Some salvage yards will sell the entire assembly for a price but I still have to put my gears in for the proper gearing. I haven't found a housing but I was wondering if anyone has tinkered with changing out the axle tubes? I would like to know how they are welded into the third member case? I was thinking I could change the tubes and open up the field for more housing availability. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

#3 ·
Replacing the tubes is pretty intense effort. Getting the old ones out is a real chore, then to do it properly you should build a jig fixture to get the new tubes true to the differential housing. Would be much easier to get a used axle and put your gears into it, IMO.

#4 ·
The tubes are shrunk into place and can be removed by sawing off at the housing and then splitting the remainder in the housing. You can then have a custom replacement made and weld it into place using stainless arc welding rod (welds steel and cast iron together without cracking). if the new piece is a tap fit into the housing and is machined true and square you should have no problems. Of course you could press the new one in too but it requires dry ice (lots!) and a Tiger torch to heat the case, it's easier to just weld it. make the new axle tube from extra thick mechanical tubing and it won't warp during the (TIG) welding operation. It's lots of work but possible to do, I have had to do this many times before, mostly on large off road tractors owned by overly-optimistic ********.

ŸEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!!!...try to pull it again Zeek, the axle is only bent a little! YAAAAHOOOO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.