2000 Chevy S10 shifting trouble - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 10:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

resurrection!

I did a search and ended up here. I have come to resurrect this topic because Im having the same problem. I was wondering if there was ever a solution found??? I have a 2000 s10 2.2 and this has been like this for years now. I just take it easy when i drive it. I've replaced both solenoids and that changed nothing. the guy at the shop took it for a ride and ran it on the computer and said it starts out in 4th when i have it in first gear for some odd reason. I can start in 2nd (sluggish) until I get to about 25 and put it in drive and I'm good until it drops again. I just have no first gear. ANY help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Welcome to Hotrodders.com

What is the mileage on your trans?

This problem has been there for years on your truck?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicus
I did a search and ended up here. I have come to resurrect this topic because Im having the same problem. I was wondering if there was ever a solution found??? I have a 2000 s10 2.2 and this has been like this for years now. I just take it easy when i drive it. I've replaced both solenoids and that changed nothing. the guy at the shop took it for a ride and ran it on the computer and said it starts out in 4th when i have it in first gear for some odd reason. I can start in 2nd (sluggish) until I get to about 25 and put it in drive and I'm good until it drops again. I just have no first gear. ANY help would really be appreciated. Thanks
have you had the truck scanned for codes? is the SES light on?
typical operation from the 4l60e when the is no power getting down to the trans would keep it in 3rd gear (default) which is what it sounds like from your explanation. other than the possibility of it having an internal electrical problem (and obviously mechanical now as well), usually when the trans has 3rd gear starts, and doesnt shift, and has no power down to the trans, is usually going to be either a blown fuse, problem in the harness, or the ignition switch.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM

I got about 154,000 on the truck as far as I know it hasn't been replaced or or rebuilt. I've had it scanned and it's only popped up as a knock sensor. I'm just lost on where to go from here. If I start it out in drive it will be so sluggish at first and then when it gets to about 20-25mph it will start shifting. I noticed if I manually shift to 3rd and drive it it will shift twice in one gear is that right?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
I got about 154,000 on the truck as far as I know it hasn't been replaced or or rebuilt. I've had it scanned and it's only popped up as a knock sensor. I'm just lost on where to go from here. If I start it out in drive it will be so sluggish at first and then when it gets to about 20-25mph it will start shifting. I noticed if I manually shift to 3rd and drive it it will shift twice in one gear is that right?
what your probably feeling is the converter clutch engaging and thats not a bad thing. at least you know that the t.c.c. is working.
it also tells me that its got power going down to the trans.
now you say when you start out in drive. just to clarify, is it drive you have the selector in, or overdrive? have you tried to shift the truck manually to see if it will start in low gear?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 PM

I have the selector in drive. I can manually shift it into 1st and it feels the same as when i put the selector in drive, But as soon as I get around or above 25mph it shifts fine through the rest of the gears. It's just when I'm below that speed. Thanks for helping me out. I was just gonna switch out transmissions when I got the money, but its always in the back of my mind what if its something else harness,computer etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The trans can have worn or broken accumilator that is allowing fluid past to apply 2nd gear.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
The trans can have worn or broken accumilator that is allowing fluid past to apply 2nd gear.
What about first gear? would that have anything to do with it?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
What about first gear? would that have anything to do with it?
that is what I am telling you as one possible problem for no first gear

First gear is the forward clutch applied and the low roller clutch holding.

If something is broken and fluid pressure bypasses to apply 2nd gear band servo... the trans is then in 2nd gear from a mechanical defect. The trans does not know the difference
Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
that is what I am telling you as one possible problem for no first gear
First gear is the forward clutch applied and the low roller clutch holding.
If something is broken and fluid pressure bypasses to apply 2nd gear band servo... the trans is then in 2nd gear from a mechanical defect. The trans does not know the difference
Ok so take this into consideration to once in a blue moon and I mean that literally, it might jump into first gear and shift to second kinda harsh or so, bu then when i stop and try to go again it just what it always does. Would that still sound something similar to what you are saying?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 PM

It would really help to hook this truck to a scanner and drive around. When you come to a stop, you want to see what gear the computer is actually commanding. Chevys have an operational condition called "fail-safe". Fail safe is basically 3rd gear. If the computer senses any of a myriad of problems with the transmission, or even some engine or emissions related problems, it will put the trans into fail safe mode. This means that when you select "D", in fail safe the trans will actually be starting out in 3rd gear. It will NOT shift. TCC may lock up, but most likely NOT.

If you are indicating that it does shift at times, I would still like to know exactly what codes are stored, and what gear is being commanded when you come to a complete stop, and then take off again. If the computer shows it is commanding a 1st gear start, but the transmission is actually taking off in a higher gear that would lead me to believe you have a mechanical failure inside the transmission. Input sprag could be slipping, sun-shell could be stripped and slipping sometimes, and catching other times (yes, I've actually seen this), band could be slipping intermittently causing 3rd gear when the vehicle is supposed to be in 2nd gear.

You have 154,000 miles on this truck and you believe it be original and not rebuilt? Personally, I'd start saving my pennies for a trans rebuild. More than 80% of the 4L60E's that come in my shop that have STOPPED running, have right at 100K. So, you beat the average driver by about 54K.

Oh yeah, the small S10's with the 2.2 motors are NOTORIOUS for torque converters failing. DO NOT TRY and re-run your old converter if you get the trans rebuilt. That would be a big mistake.

Have you dropped the pan yet to inspect for metal or clutch fouling in the pan? I would do that next. If you find what I suspect you will find, again, save your pennies and get ready. I work in the transmission industry and the only thing I can tell you is try and avoid the large chain transmission rebuilding shops. If you can, find a small transmission shop that has been around a while. Ask for references, then call those references! Check their rating on the BBB BEFORE you do business with any of them. Beware if they advertise a really low price up-front because not even GOD himself is going to get out of most transmission shops with the prices they advertise. If you end up having to rebuild it, find someone that is recommended by multiple people. Even if you have to have a trans shipped in from out of state and installed locally, I would do that before I let any chain rebuilder touch my vehicle.

I know I got off on a tangent there, but I can't stress enough how you should be very selective in who you trust when it comes to such a large financial investment. Or, dump this vehicle, take the $2000+ most shops will want to charge you to rebuild the trans, and put that money down on another car while also trading in the truck. Now you've turned a negative into a positive.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 PM

I was hoping not to have to change the trans, but that always seems to happen to me with the negative. THANKS! for the help I will have it hooked to another scanner to be sure exactly what is going on, because the other shop did not tell me what was going on just told me to change the solenoids. I was offered $2000 for the truck maybe I should take it.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM

it's kind cold here in ohio right now. I took the truck down to the gas station and it decided to shift into first gear. This happened last year when it started to get cold. I did notice that when it did the 1-2 shift it was kinda harsh?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

This truck needs to be driven with a scammer on it and see what gear the computer is commanding. This could be a pressure switch manifold or manual lever position sensor problem... Both are easier AND cheaper to replace than the whole transmission.

Frank

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.