2000 GrandAm tranny slip? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

2000 GrandAm tranny slip?

So my 2000 GrandAm SE 4door (affectionately named "GrandMa" for obvious reasons) has the 207ci v6 (3400) that's backed (sided?) by what I believe to be the 4t40-E four speed slushbox. The GTs got the heavier duty 4t45-E with a better gear if I'm right, but that's off subject.

The other day I'm pulling onto the highway onramp, and when it's at normal running temp I have a habit of "clearing it out" there, or flooring it, since it gives me a reason to have a little fun with the daily driver on occasion.

Well, towards the top of 2nd the engine "revs ahead" 500 rpm or so, it wasn't at the limiter (6200rpm if I'm right). I tried this going from 60 to 80 and the same thing happened. I assume it's from "high" load (I dont think aerodynamics had much to do with it but perhaps), and the engine running at WOT in it's powerband (4000-5500rpm I think) overwhelms the mechanisms in the tranny.

The fluid level is at the right level, and it is "dirty" (clutch dust?). I did a fluid/filter change last fall.

SO...
a) is it slippin or is more info needed for a diagnosis?
b) is there any "band-aids in a bottle" you guys recommend? My uncle swears by lucas products(his childhood was spent under the hoods of random GM products in the 60s and 70s). I'm just wondering if there's anything better.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

re slippin tranny

The lucas oils and what have you, I believe they just thicken everthing up, which in return overtime just oil starves the valves. I guess you don't have anything to lose, but if that fixes your problem, it will be temporary. Maybe the torque convertor is getting bad. I would also change the fluid and filter just to make sure you get all the dirt out from last time. Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:23 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
So my 2000 GrandAm SE 4door (affectionately named "GrandMa" for obvious reasons) has the 207ci v6 (3400) that's backed (sided?) by what I believe to be the 4t40-E four speed slushbox. The GTs got the heavier duty 4t45-E with a better gear if I'm right, but that's off subject.

The other day I'm pulling onto the highway onramp, and when it's at normal running temp I have a habit of "clearing it out" there, or flooring it, since it gives me a reason to have a little fun with the daily driver on occasion.

Well, towards the top of 2nd the engine "revs ahead" 500 rpm or so, it wasn't at the limiter (6200rpm if I'm right). I tried this going from 60 to 80 and the same thing happened. I assume it's from "high" load (I dont think aerodynamics had much to do with it but perhaps), and the engine running at WOT in it's powerband (4000-5500rpm I think) overwhelms the mechanisms in the tranny.

The fluid level is at the right level, and it is "dirty" (clutch dust?). I did a fluid/filter change last fall.

SO...
a) is it slippin or is more info needed for a diagnosis?
b) is there any "band-aids in a bottle" you guys recommend? My uncle swears by lucas products(his childhood was spent under the hoods of random GM products in the 60s and 70s). I'm just wondering if there's anything better.
how did u check the fluid level on a 4t40e when it has no dipstick???
Old 07-13-2006, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

No dipstick? How does that work? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

GM went through a short period when they thought their transmissions would never leak, fail, or need serviced . All they had was a small red screw in cap - with no means for accurately checking fluid level. I believe it lasted for the 2000 model year only, but I may be mistaken.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:52 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

there is a plug in the case by the passenger side axle. car needs to be at operating temp, running, in park... pull the plug, if nothing comes out, its low on fluid, if u get a few drops/ dribble... good to go
p.s. it looks like a pressure tap plug, and as far as i can remember, theres not another remotely close to it... should be roughly at eye level with axle..
Old 07-15-2006, 07:25 AM

Last photo:

I have a 2000 Grand Am GT with a similiar problem. When I am driving around 80 kph (about 50 mph) the engine rpm surges 2 or 300 rpm. If I step on the gas to the get the revs up a bit (even by 5mph) the surging will stop.
I have taken it to the GM dealer who could not find any code errors. They cleaned the throttle body however that made no difference. I have had my tranny flushed, injectors flushed, fuel filter changed and I still have the problem. If you find out what it is then pass it along.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

that sounds like a converter problem
Old 07-15-2006, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

They (GM mechanic) test drove the vehicle and got the car to duplicate the problem however no codes showed up. If it was a converter problem wouldn't a code show up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
that sounds like a converter problem
Old 07-15-2006, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
If it was a converter problem wouldn't a code show up?
================================================== ========
No. The lock up function could be slipping. This could be an electrical problem with the lock up solenoid. Just one possibility.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks.I will get them to check this the next time it is in for servicing. Will it do any harm driving it the way it is?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I drained a little fluid out of the little check-hole (its right above the pass. side axle) since my dad said "a little extra wont hurt" and it hasn't had that rpm surging at WOT at highway speeds since (read: passing slow people, and I like to hear the exhaust)

I did a pan drop (change a few quarts there, the rest is in the converter and all) plus a new trans filter, and it shifted smoother and I didn't really notice the "slip" but then again I was easier on it until I got the exhaust about 2 weeks before problem was noticed... it actually sounds pretty nice, a deep rumbly idle and all, but I'm not hijacking my own thread.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.