Hot Rod Forum banner

2000 Lincoln Continental trans shift problems

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ScoTFrenzel 
#1 ·
I own a low mileage 2000 Continental. Nice car but the transmission starts shifting really hard and the check trans (idiot light) comes on after about 20 minutes of normal driving. Taken it to the dealer twice. They cant find the problem or the error code in the computer but still charge me over a 100 bucks for nothing. Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

#2 · (Edited)
mbooom1 said:
I own a low mileage 2000 Continental. Nice car but the transmission starts shifting really hard and the check trans (idiot light) comes on after about 20 minutes of normal driving. Taken it to the dealer twice. They cant find the problem or the error code in the computer but still charge me over a 100 bucks for nothing. Any suggestions on what the problem could be?
This would be a great time to comment about the Lincoln service techs, but I refrain.

No offense intended= that is a really high maintenance, expensive replacement parts vehicle. (I drive TownCars only, sold the Mark.)

Not uncommon for a fwd Contintental with 80K+.
Ruling out needing a full fluid flush and filter replacement, Mobil 1 recommended,
I suggest you chase down the electrical connections,
clean every connector, be sure there is a positive mechanical connection on every wire, and fill with dielectric grease and reconnect.

There are some internal connections, and if you don't have success with the external ones, that would be the next thing that I would try.
Intermittent connections are hard to find when they are connected and working.
There is also a possibility of a bad solenoid on the valve body.
JMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.