2000 RPM to make chevy move? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2000 RPM to make chevy move?

Hey guys I'm working with a 700 R4 in an 83 K10, it was rebuilt a few months ago the original converter was reused. When you shift into reverse it moves pretty normal but when you shift into Drive it doesn't wanna move at all and if you put it down into 1,2,3 it will go forward when you get to about 2000 rpms... I need to finish this truck soon and I don't know any one that has the knowledge and time to come help me out, any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if its the converter but I hope it is, aside from getting a pressure guage and checking things out I'm stuck. Please help?!?!?!?
Thank you in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 AM

Last journal entry: The Cheetah
Last photo:

It's not the converter,as it backs up ok. It would also take 2000 rpm's to back up if the converter was bad.And it is also not a pressure or low fluid problem,again,as reverse is not affected. I don't know exactly what it could be,but if someone else rebuilt the trans, and it came to me,I would take it apart,and look for the cause.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular6d View Post
Hey guys I'm working with a 700 R4 in an 83 K10, it was rebuilt a few months ago the original converter was reused. When you shift into reverse it moves pretty normal but when you shift into Drive it doesn't wanna move at all and if you put it down into 1,2,3 it will go forward when you get to about 2000 rpms... I need to finish this truck soon and I don't know any one that has the knowledge and time to come help me out, any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if its the converter but I hope it is, aside from getting a pressure guage and checking things out I'm stuck. Please help?!?!?!?
Thank you in advance.
Start by setting up the TV cable linkage correctly- it has to be set right or the tranny will fail!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

Well we have set up the tv cable properly now, and pulled the trans apart again, there were two bent friction plates in the 3-4 set and other than that everything else seemed normal. I was told the front pump was replaced during the rebuild, and we now have a known good torque converter, problem still persists tho. Would the front pump make a difference? By that I mean if my trans has no aux valve body and the pump came off of one that did could the hole where the crossover tube goes be causing the problem? I was reading the Haynes trans book and it mentions plugging the hole if it wasn't could that cause the issue like theres not enough pressure being built up?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular6d View Post
Well we have set up the tv cable properly now, and pulled the trans apart again, there were two bent friction plates in the 3-4 set and other than that everything else seemed normal. I was told the front pump was replaced during the rebuild, and we now have a known good torque converter, problem still persists tho. Would the front pump make a difference? By that I mean if my trans has no aux valve body and the pump came off of one that did could the hole where the crossover tube goes be causing the problem? I was reading the Haynes trans book and it mentions plugging the hole if it wasn't could that cause the issue like theres not enough pressure being built up?
First, I am not a TH700R4 transmission expert. But there seems to me to be a mismatch between your pumps, just as you suspect. Besides the obvious problem of a potential pressure loss due to an unplugged port, there is also a difference in the later pumps as to being pulse with modulated or not. How that might affect the tranny lock up function of the TC I cannot say, just something you might want to look into.

But either way, I would want to know what the pressures are. A gauge can be made fairly cheaply- 700r4 slipping
Old 07-22-2012, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
First, I am not a TH700R4 transmission expert. But there seems to me to be a mismatch between your pumps, just as you suspect. Besides the obvious problem of a potential pressure loss due to an unplugged port, there is also a difference in the later pumps as to being pulse with modulated or not. How that might affect the tranny lock up function of the TC I cannot say, just something you might want to look into.

But either way, I would want to know what the pressures are. A gauge can be made fairly cheaply- 700r4 slipping
Thanks Cobalt I am going to get a pressure gauge today I'm sure I can make one. I will probably not get to working on the truck till tomorrow but I will post my results thanks again for all the responses.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 AM

Last photo:

So I finally got the transmission figured out and I'm still having the same issue. Only thing I an figuee now is that the timing is incorrect. I have it set at 8 btdc and it idles fine but it has to be at around 26 btdc to get into gear without dying, I havw no clue what cam is in the motor so I am not sure what the baseline timing should be, I do know its not a stock cam but I didn't install it so don't have any info about it. Any thoughts about course of action would be great. Thanks all

Tags
700r4, chevy

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.