2000 Tahoe W/4L60E trans problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2000 Tahoe W/4L60E trans problem

Truck:
2000 Tahoe Limited, 5.7L, 4l60E

Problem:
When I start my truck it will go into gear and run perfectly. After running for about 10 minutes I can start to hear a noise comeing from the torque converter.. Sounds like a metal bowl with pennies in it, swirling around?.?.. Anyways, Once this sound starts the transmission starts to slip real bad under accelleration ( almost like it has a 3000 stall converter ). It also will start to jump between 1st gear and 2nd. If I continue to drive it, it will eventually stop moving, like its in neutral.. At that point it will not go into any gear no matter where the shifter is placed.. And it still has that racket comeing from the converter.. The other thing is that when the transmission starts acting up, the motor starts running really funny.. The best way I can explain this is like so.. When you hit the speed limiter in your vehicle and the computer detunes the engine to slow you down.. thats Exactly what it starts doing.. Almost like the computer senses there is a problem with the trans and detunes the motor..
Now back to the transmission. When It gets to the point that it will not move no matter what gear I am in; if i shut the truck off for 30 seconds, turn it back on, it will drive and shift 100% perfect for about 10 mins with no more noise from the converter, then it starts all over again..
So.. As you guys can see I have a real issue on my hands here.. I cannot determine if it is the transmission/torque converter just for the fact that my truck starts running funny when this all happens, Kinda makes me think it might be a computer problem??..Not Sure... Can the computer be sensing a problem with the trans and detuning the engine? And why does the problem completley go away for another 10 minutes once I restart the truck..
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!..
Ps.. I do have a Matco Determinator Scan tool.. I do not pull any codes when this is happening.. But I am able to view a live graph of all the trans pressures.. Unfortunatly I dont know what to look for with this tool..
Again .. Help Please!!
Thanks
Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.