2000 vette problems-need a wiring diagram - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2000 vette problems-need a wiring diagram

Not a very good mechanic but a worse electrician.

Got a 2000 with no windshield wipers, no rear taillights, and now starting to overheat but can't tell when.

Car repainted recently so has been apart some but was always running.

The windshield wipers have a good fuse. Far as I've gotten. I need a wiring diagram. I bought one of those DVD manuals but I can't get the dang thing to work on Vista.

Haven't done much more with the taillights. I know where to crawl under to check but thought I'd try to do it post diagram.

The reason to post here about the overheating is I don't think the fan is coming on properly for one. But it is coming on some. It won't run for very long after cutting the car off even though the engine is hot. I don't think that is right.

Also the car has a driver side only hvac climate control system. At times the outside temp reads -32*F, others normal, and others goes up and down. The AC on when working definitely causes the car to run hot sometimes but not consistently. At times the AC and the engine is running fine. I don't see a repeated pattern except that it does seem to run hot more often when the AC is running. (The water pump is working and I've got plenty of fluid in the radiator).

I need a diagram to figure out where the outside sensor is to keep the AC on and I wonder how it relates to the engine fans. The high engine temps should override the climate control and the fans. I don't even know if they are remotely related.

And if someone knows all the answers I'm not adverse to being spoon fed the answers to correct this stuff.

Thanks all. Looks like a great forum.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Last photo:

The electrical system on newer Corvettes is very complicated, more so than an ordinary vehicle. You have described yourself as not an electrician. In that light I might suggest that you take the car to a qualified mechanic. Re: the fan, it is controlled by the cars computer and uses various inputs from different sources to determine when it comes on and at what speed it runs....very complicated.

P.S. I'm not trying to be a smart #ss, but when Corvettes start having electrical problems they can be a real bear to run down. Since it has recently been painted and somewhat apart you need to first look for proper grounding. Make sure all ground connections are in place and in good condition.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 06-18-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
The electrical system on newer Corvettes is very complicated, more so than an ordinary vehicle. You have described yourself as not an electrician. In that light I might suggest that you take the car to a qualified mechanic. Re: the fan, it is controlled by the cars computer and uses various inputs from different sources to determine when it comes on and at what speed it runs....very complicated.

P.S. I'm not trying to be a smart #ss, but when Corvettes start having electrical problems they can be a real bear to run down. Since it has recently been painted and somewhat apart you need to first look for proper grounding. Make sure all ground connections are in place and in good condition.

Vince
Good advice and you're absolutely right about being a bear at times. If I had an electrical diagram I could probably do a little esp with the ground problems which I bet is part of at least one problem. I'm not going to take it to my corvette mechanic first this time. I'm trying to find someone who does this kind of thing around this area. I'm also new to the area which is probably my worse problem. Knowing who to let work on it is the problem right now.

Thanks for the reply and no you didn't come off as a smart aleck. Just friendly.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Last photo:

Just a word of advice, be very selective on who you let work on the car, especially a Vette. Go to car shows and talk to people and ask who they use for repairs. Most rodders know someone who works at home specifically on rods.

Vince
Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Check the grounds that go to the BCM first.. on a steel car that can make them go haywire, let alone, having a composite body which doesn't pass a current
Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Check the grounds that go to the BCM first.. on a steel car that can make them go haywire, let alone, having a composite body which doesn't pass a current
Hadn't thought of that. Super idea. Probably too easy to be the problem but something I can do.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.