2000 vortec 5.7 needs building advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2000 vortec 5.7 needs building advice

Hey guys,
new to the forum here. What i have is a 2000 vortec 350 out of a isuzu npr box truck. the heads are not the 906 vortec heads they are the other number vortec heads. i am looking to get over 400 hp but i wanna stay within 1500. any way you guys can give me list of parts thay would make a good combanation. for street/strip. thanks in advanced. i will be sending the motor out to get done but i would like a parts list for what i need to order to ressambly and have done to the heads

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

so you want more than 400hp, but less than 1500hp. That's a biiiiiiiiiiig margin.

Do you want it naturally aspirated? turbocharged? supercharged? twin turbos?

What does your budget allow? CNC heads, iron aftermarket heads, or are you going to make use with the stock cylinder heads (port them or leave them alone?)

What do you want? Do you want it fast and cheap, fast and reliable, or what?

What vehicle is this engine going into (it's from a Isuzu cabover truck)? What transmission (and torque converter if applicable) and rear gears are in said car?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM

I think thats 1500 dollars? either way,,,good luck. over haul kit plus machine work will cost 1,000
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM

i am flexable on cost since this dont need done right away. the vehicle it is going into is a 96 s10 stepside pickup with 383 posi gears. the izusu is what the motor came from. i would like around are over 400. stay with pump gas have something reliable but yet able to hammer it out when need. this trucks not going ot be raced. mayb to the strip once r twice to play around. also useing the stock trans right now which iss a 4l60e untill i can upgrade
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM

also want to stay n/a no spray are nothing
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 PM

basic stock rebuild shortblock add balance engine components,careful blue print and high quality machine work to deck/square/align hone block, buy/build a good set of vortec heads with modifications for bigger cam,including mild porting especially on exhaust side,,,cam and kit to fit performance desires,intake and fuel management tuned to below parts,good quality headers and full free flow exhaust
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydec21 View Post
Hey guys,
i am looking to get over 400 hp but i wanna stay within 1500.
If you find a way to do this, contact me immediately. I want to do the marketing for the product.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

To get you started

Quote:
Hey guys,
new to the forum here. What i have is a 2000 vortec 350 out of a isuzu npr box truck. the heads are not the 906 vortec heads they are the other number vortec heads. i am looking to get over 400 hp but i wanna stay within 1500. any way you guys can give me list of parts thay would make a good combanation. for street/strip. thanks in advanced. i will be sending the motor out to get done but i would like a parts list for what i need to order to ressambly and have done to the heads
First have the block and heads inspected to be sure they're not cracked and are suitable to build with. If they are:

Bore the cylinders to the smallest oversize that cleans them up
Inspect the crank, turn if necessary. Polish if OK
Inspect the rods, remove/replace rod bolts w/ARP then resize them

There are cheap rebuild kits from places like Northern and Rock Auto. Based on your needs and budget you can decide where to go.

Don't go too big on the cam if this is a street engine! Over-camming it will make you miserable. To name a few things you need to pay attention to: the cam has to match the way you drive, the weight, gear ratio, and compression ratio, and the compression ratio has to be compatible w/the fuel used. Build it w/matching engine components that will work as a unit and you'll be happy w/the results. There are many threads on this here and elsewhere.

Be aware that there are two compression height pistons that you'll see. One is 1.54" (shorter by 0.020") and is called a rebuilder piston. The other is the stock compression height of 1.56". Regardless of which you end up with, pay attention to the quench measurement.

Rebuild guides/books

Heads:
Vortec heads
Milling decks

Valve Train:
Valve spring installed height
Points to check
Geometry
Adjust lifters
Cam break in

Other:
First start up
HEI distributor/Timing info
Engine section

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 AM

hey guys thanks for your responses if there any body that has any parts specificlly in mind please feel free to let me know part numbers would be great thanks for the help here
Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

For reliability I wouldn't scrimp on quality machine work. The directions outlined on a good quality rebuild with quality American parts and ported vortec heads should net you a bit over 400. Depending on exhaust and intake and such I can't guarantee anything though. For a street driven S10 though, it'll be plenty of power to put that posi to work.

Here's a budget vortec head shootout article. Good read.
Eight Budget Small Block Chevy Heads Tested - Car Craft Magazine

One last thing... when building a street engine, build for torque. Most of the time you'll be cruising, and you want the engine to be responsive and hit hard "right here right now", rather than something that thrives up high (machine work is even more critical at higher rpms. The forces the connecting rods see go up exponentially (kinda like interest on a mortgage) with RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
If you find a way to do this, contact me immediately. I want to do the marketing for the product.
Junkyard 350 (or two to get one that runs), and a heavy shot of nitrous. Of course, you'd be driving a time bomb.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Techinspector1, I'm puttin' in my order now for one when you get this figured out!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks chevelle that helps a little bit glad to see not everyone is a smart ***. Glad to see that people use these forums for good and not a joke in the night
Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Some friendly advice...

Quote:
Thanks chevelle that helps a little bit glad to see not everyone is a smart ***. Glad to see that people use these forums for good and not a joke in the night
Better check yourself, son.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Better check yourself, son.
I see some humor in it (400hp for dirt cheap... better get good at swapping engines), but budget builds are possible. Let's try to help the guy out. Maybe he's new.

Granted, for a "done right" reliable 400+hp, I think the budget of $1500 wouldn't be enough. I highlighted my thoughts on a street oriented vortec sbc build in my other posts here.

Heck, maybe even have the oem cast internals checked out, deburred, and balanced, it might hold together. I wouldn't do it, but if it's more of a street cruiser/bruiser where it'll be cranking out that 400hp just once in a while, I don't see why he'd need aftermarket rods. The vortec engines (and I think any sbc built since 1986) has roller lifters, which while not the best, aren't bad for a low buck build. The vortec heads are pretty good in stock form, so I think we have a great start.

For inexpensive parts, find a used dual plane intake manifold, and the stock GM HEI is a good unit, and while I'm sure you'd be able to see some gains going to an aftermarket performance ignition, I'm thinking about budget parts here.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM

as i said i do have 2 vortecs here, both run, i am new to the enigine building process. the trucks not going to be beat on on a everyday basis just driven for fun and on the gas once in a while. im looking at staying around 1500 but i can move up in price as i dont need this motor built right away,

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.