2001 Chevy Malibu Tranny issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2001 Chevy Malibu Tranny issues

Ok, I am trying to chase down an ongoing problem with my daily driver and hopefully you guys can help.

The car is a 2001 Chevy Malibu LS with a 3100 V6 and 4spd auto tranny (4T40E).

The problem started out as a surging from the enigne while cruising. If I was cruising ar 55MPH the engine whould jump in RPMs about 200-400RPM and then settle back down to normal RPM for 55MPH (I honestly cannot remember what this RPM would be its been so long since I have seen it). The problem gradually became more and more common and would happen at peeds between 40 and 80MPH. My Father-In-Law suggested I put a bottle of TransX in to clean up any stuck valves and selenoids. This did not fix the probelm. The problem has continued to the point it is at today. At speeds between 40 and 80MPH the RPMs are higher than the should be no matter the driving conditions. Say at 50MPH, the engine is turning at 2100RPM, 60MPH gives about the same RPM, around 70MPH it is 23-2300 RPM. Its as if the tranny will not fully shift into OD.

I have done a lot of research online and have come up with several possible causes.
1. A bad TCC selenoid
2. A leaking drive bearing gasket
3. a dirty MAF sensor (this was cleaned several time to no avail)
4. A PCM that needs to be reprogrammed (problem returns after PCM relearns the shift points)
and several other probable causes that did nothing to correct the problem.

One of the best reads I have found is here on the GrandAMGT site.

Please let me know what you guys think this might be. I really can't afford to bring it to a shop for repairs right now. Hopefully after Christmas I can get this worked out. And it is really killing my gas mileage. I have gone from 26-29MPG to about 20-22MPG, maybe less. I have been so dissapointed that I just about quit tracking it.

Thanks in advance guys.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

4t40e

check engine light on? what is the mileage? best advise is to have a scanner and good test drive with a good tranny shop tech. no easy answer without any more information.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM

2001 chevy

We have not seen this problem,yet however we did have a 4t40e in last year that had an issue with tcc duty cycle, this was a logic problem with the computer.

Just going by what you have described, it would seem that the computer in your car may need to be "flashed".
Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

There are no lights on and no codes being thrown. Which doesn't help any. The car has 134000Miles on it. The tranny was fully flushed and filter changed around 80K miles. Other than that it has seen no service.

I agree, I doo need to take it for a test drive with a tranny tech, the hard part there is finding the time to get it done.

From al that I have read, having the PCM flashed only cures the problem for a short period.

I apreciate the help so far guys.

Chris
Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 AM

tranny problems

Having exact same issue with my 2001 Malibu as Chris. Did anyone find an answer or solution?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I agree with earlier posts. Check for TSB s There is probably a reflash for the PCM that allows a little more throttle inclination before the tcc will unlock at highway speeds.That is what it sounds like yours is doing. Also the brake switch unlocks the Torque converter as well so make sure there isnt a problem there , sometimes a bump in the road can move the break pedal enough to signal the PCM that the brake is applied and this will unlock the torque converter.
Have someone drive it for you and watch the live data stream , look at brake switch and other relvant data that is in the loop for converter action.
Have the driver replicate the condition and watch for TCC lockup command and all that . brake switch signal...etc
A program flash is a permanent stting stored in the pcm via a command from a programming device. If a symptom clears up and then slowly comes back it is more likely a mechanical problem (worn TC Clutch, getting worse etc).

Last edited by latech; 02-25-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM

just had same issue on mine and in my case torque conveter hope it helps

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.